Home Unreal Engine

Tiling non-texture samples?

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
sidx30 polycounter lvl 4
In the material editor, is there a way to tile or edit the UV coordinates of nodes? I know the texture sample node has an input for UVs, but is there a way to tile say, a 3vector node? More specifically, I am trying to "BreakMaterialAttributes" on a material function, and I want to tile the base color that gets outputted. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: Actually I figured something out. I could have just created an input node in the material function that leads to the texture samples I need to tile. Lol kinda silly I didn't notice that. :P

Anyways, I guess the question still stands in a way. This is for UE4 btw.

Replies

• LMP
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    Why would you need to tile a 3vector? It's just a RGB color, or really it's just 3 numbers.
  • sidx30
    Offline / Send Message
    sidx30 polycounter lvl 4
    @LMP I wouldn't want to tile a 3vector on it's own(Since it would be a solid color as you said), but say you combine a bunch of nodes to create something. Like a gradient or a noise....and you wanted to tile it for whatever reason. (Or even Zoom in)

It's kind of a silly question lol, but you never know.
  • Visceral
    Yeah i dont think a Vector 3 contains any cordinate info.
  • kodde
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    Wouldn't your gradient/noise be the texture based node int his case? If so, modify that nodes UV coordinates? If it's a procedurally generated gradient/noise then modify how the gradient/noise is created to scale it's results.
  • Vailias
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    The question doesn't make a lot of sense.
    Tiling is a function of repeating something every N steps in a coordinate space. Zooming is equivalent to scaling the coordinate space being viewed.

If you want to tile a gradient, you have to have a space to tile it in, like a set of coordinates. You can create a repeating gradient by say mapping the output pixel color to the x coordinate of a UV coords node, but then just taking the fraction of the UV coords (frac node) so you get 0-0.999999...repeating every whole number. If you wanted to zoom that gradient, you'd multiply the coordinate space by some number before taking the frac and assigning the color.

But really, what are you trying to achieve? There may be a solution to what you're wanting that's much less abstract.