Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Jacobethan Style Fountain WIP

Replies

• metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Hey guys,

Im still having some rendering issues and keep running out of ram, so i though i would post a viewport screenie of everything i have sculpted so far.

th_Fountain_Whole_Sculpted_WIP1a.jpg

Who would have thought trying to render 30 million tris. at 1920x1080 would be so hard eh? :P

I will continue to work at it though and will hopefully have something better to show over the next couple of days :)

Thanks for looking!
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Hey all,

It looks like the recent Blender 2.5 builds have some sort of memory leak that is causing the problem i am having with rendering.

My fountain scene shows an increase in memory consumption of over 65% in 2.5 when compared with 2.49b but it seems that the devs are aware of the issue (independently of me) and i believe at Campbell Barton is looking for solutions as we speak.

I wanted to use 2.5 because the raytracer has had some serious speed ups with some scenes rendering 300% faster than in 2.49b

Guess i will have to wait until its fixed :P

Anyway...
    I thought i would upload the timelapse of the Arch Piece for everyone to take a look at :)

More stuff soon!

Enjoy!

http://vimeo.com/11088743
  • Divine Rage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Duplicating posts on BlenderArtists eh? Hadn't noticed before. :P

On to texturing any time soon?

You could also try luxrender for a bit, it can give you awesome results if you let it sit for a week. :)

Just wanted to mention that I ordered my Intuos4 M a few hours ago. :) Hasn't been paid for, as the site I bought it at has yet to approve my order. All in due time. :)
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    lol Busted!
    I tend to write a general post in notepad++ and then respond to everyone individually later.
    I guess there are only so many ways i can say the same thing ^^

I will prob. start texturing over the next couple of weeks as i dont have much left to sculpt now really...only 3 bits left i think.

Intuos 4! damn i want one of those really bad...
    Im sure it will be awesome mate!
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Hey all,

I finally had some spare time to sculpt some more stuff and unless i forgot something the HP is done! :D

th_Sculpt_wip12a.jpg th_Sculpt_wip13a.jpg th_Sculpt_wip14a.jpg th_Sculpt_wip15a.jpg

Onwards to LP, Baking and Texturing!

More videos soon btw :)
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Hey guys!

I have been spending my time doing the LP :D

Its pretty much done, but there are a few bits that could be optimised a little more.

When all the model is placed together as one mesh it weighs in at 38.5k tris., so its heavy, but considering the complexity of it and the sheer amount of parts, i don't think that's too bad for a second pass really. ^^

Without any duplication it comes to 7132 tris.

th_Fountain_LP_WIP3a.jpg th_Fountain_LP_WIP3b.jpg

Any comments or critique would be awesome!
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Hey guys,

Here is the first texture pass :D

th_Fountain_Marmoset_Texture_WIP1a.jpg th_Fountain_Marmoset_Texture_WIP1b.jpg

Though its currently the usual palette of grey and brown, im going to try to add at least a little colour in there if i can :P

Still lots to do but im quite happy with the results so far.

Any comments and critique would be great :)
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
    Not bad for a first pass. Came together nicely.
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is awesome.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Personally, I'm not liking the tone of the rock much, a bit too dark.
    Maybe a lighter grey, or a light beige?

You can also try to use 2 types of rock to get some variety in there.
    rocktype.jpg
    like such, or like having the detailed panels etc in a different color.
  • paulsvoboda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 12
    Looking great so far - This whole thread is very inspirational and its great watching you work through this, so thank you.
    As for the texture pass, as said above, its good for a first pass but definitely needs some variation - Right now it could just be a one texture tiling with another overlayed on top of it. I would possibly try playing around with putting a slight tonal variation behind those intricate patterns you have to help them pop out more - and not let the normals do all the work.
    Otherwise, looking great and as I said before, thanks for this whole thread.
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Extraordinary work, thumbs up!

Though I agree with snader on the rocks being a shade too dark, I think you should keep the colour uniform.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Hey guys :)

Sorry my reply is a little late :S

@A.Kincade
    Thanks man!

@RexM
    Cheers :D

@Snader
    Thanks for the input!
    Its an interesting idea to add whole blocks of colour, but i would have to play around a little to get something i like.
    Worth a try though eh?
    I think one of the reasons that it looks dark is the shader in Marmoset...i will have a look to see what can be done.

@paulsvoboda
    Im really happy you are enjoying the thread :)

In regards that it could be a single tiled texture...it was! :P
    The first pass was just a few concrete and stone textures with a little grunge an an AO pass. ^^

Awesome idea about adding some variation in the stone texture :D
    In the updated texture i have highlighted a selection of bricks and pieces of trim to which i have added a H/S pass to give them a little variation.

@bbob,

Cheers mate!
    I aim to please :)

I have had a little time to work on it some more and will post the update soon.
    In the meantime, It looks like i forgot to post 2 timelapse videos that were uploaded 9 days ago :O
    One is a sculpt of the Base section and the other is the twisted railing piece in which i used the new sufrace noise tool in 3.5.

http://vimeo.com/11388730
    http://vimeo.com/11388747 (surface noise)

Thanks for the comments everyone and enjoy the vids!
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Hey guys,

I thought i would post the second texture pass :)

I thought it would be cool to throw some colour into the mix so texturing the relief as brass with green patina was the perfect opportunity :D

th_Fountain_Marmoset_Texture_WIP4a.jpg th_Fountain_Marmoset_Texture_WIP4b.jpg <--Large image! (1.06mb)

The shader in Marmoset still makes this look a bit dark but in reality it is little lighter

Any comments or critique would be awesome!
  • marlfox8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow looks great seems like a castle instead of a fountain. ives character though
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Cheers marlfox8 :D
    Thanks for the compliment!
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Hey guys,

I did a quick screenie of the LP without any instancing or duplication so you can all see what everything looks in the most basic state as well as paintover to show unique UV's and duplicated parts on the mesh.

Everything highlighted in red has unique UVs, everything in orange has unique UV's and is a separate mesh from the body and un-highlighted parts are duplicated more than once in the LP with overlayed UV's to conserve texture space.

The LP body is rotated 4 times to create the final LP with the top part being unique.

th_Fountain_Marmoset_Modular_Part1a.jpg th_Fountain_Marmoset_Modular_Part1b.jpg

Thanks for looking :)
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Great work Andy. Very nice result thus far. This prop should no doubt be in a AAA title :)
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mistry10 polycounter lvl 8
    this is looking great man !
  • elementrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elementrix polycounter lvl 15
    may I ask why you modelled around those bricks at the base and didn't just extend that plane and have the seam under the corner piece?
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    starting to look very pretty!
  • HellMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HellMark polycounter lvl 18
    Peasants demand MOAR!

Looking fantastic Andy. :)
  • acapulco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acapulco polycounter lvl 9
    That is awesome! Really dig it! Keep on!
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    @brandoom
    Thanks man! you flatter me too much ^^

@Mistry10
    Cheers mate :)

@elementrix
    It was mainly so the LP mesh would be a little cleaner as if i had to connect the drain piece it would have caused far to many long narrow tris for my liking.
    For the extra few tris i think it was worth it :)

@divi

@Mark
    You are too kind sir! :D

@acapulco
    Thanks man! :D

More stuff coming soon :)
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Hey guys!

Update time :D

I have added a little orange to the stone as it was looking a little grey and did a first pass on the spec. (maybe a little much at the moment?)

th_Fountain_Marmoset_Texture_WIP5c.jpg

I have also been playing around with Marmoset a little more and upon digging into the MegaThread, i found out how to take huge screenies :)

Now these are pretty big, so if you are low on bandwidth etc. please take this as fair warning :P
    Each screenie is 4096x5592 and weigh in at 3.3mb.

Fountain_Marmoset_Texture_WIP5a_Th.jpg

Fountain_Marmoset_Texture_WIP5b_Th.jpg

Any comments would be great! :)
  • psychoticprankster
    I love it man, well done.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    looks great to me! But to me id be more interested in the texture sheets and how many there are and how big.
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Looks a little too noisy.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Hey guys,

Thanks for the comments :D

I have refined the texture quite a bit since the last pics i posted on here but unfortunately my PC died so i cant access the any of the source files until i get a new Mobo/CPU :/

As soon as i can get some new shots i will put them up :)

Thanks again for the comments!
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    hey not bad, I think in general tho its a little too noisy and shiny. I think it would look better if you toned those down
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Thanks for the kind words Eric :)

I will definitely tone the spec. down and reduce the noise as soon as i get my PC up and running.

Thanks for looking :)
  • salacious_Crumb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    salacious_Crumb polycounter lvl 11
    Looks great. The sort of thing I hope to do eventually.

Like you vids showing how you did the stone effect.

One question though, where did you get the zbrush sculpting brush Standard_stoneE from? Is it a custom brush or can you download it from somewhere?
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Thanks for the kind words :)

The brush is a custom brush, that i made but its just a vanilla Standard brush with colour spray and a stock alpha.
    I made the brush preset because i was sculpting so much stone, it didnt make sense to try and remember what settings i had used previously.

I did a free tutorial for Eat3d a few months back and the brushes can be bought with the HD video package. Though if you watch the HD vids on youtube you could prob. figure out the settings :)

http://eat3d.com/free/sculpting-stone-morph-targets
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    looking cool, but you may want to clean up all the seams on the steps. they are quite a few horizontal ones and a vertical one down the middle.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Thanks!

When i made this, i was still experimenting with the correct way to bake so i will prob. end up re-baking and re-texturing :)
  • SinisterUrge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks almost there. How about a more polished looking stone used for the masonry, like polished granite or marble perhaps. The current stone used looks very raw.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Thanks!
    I will take a look to see what i can do :)