Home General Discussion

Looking for a mentor

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Mant1k0re polycounter lvl 8
Greetings all,

this might be a long post, I'll try to watch it though :)

When it comes to game art and 3D I was unfortunately very late to the party. It wasn't until about 3 years ago that I discovered the craft and instantly fell in love with it. I was already almost 32, alas :(

I got a good job with a good salary, and it's too late to even think about becoming profesionnal, I know that - nonetheless, I still hope to be able to make profesionnal quality game assets at some point in the future, just because... I feel complete when I make 3D art. That may sound super cheesy, but it's really the way it makes me feel. There's no better way to spend your time, in my opinion.

So those past three years, that I've come to look back to and think about as " the CG quest", I spent all of my free time learning the ropes, diving right in, not picking any specialty - modeling, texturing, sculpting, level design, lighting, hell even programming these days - I like it all equally as long as it's game related. I read a ridiculous amount of books, tutorials, watched hundreds of hours of videos, took some CG society classes, etc. And of course I practice at least 3 hours a day, much much more during week-ends.

But for all my work, I still don't feel like I' m ready to show anything yet, and I have the feeling I'm drawning in all the tools and techniques I'm trying to learn. I know you might be telling me to just focus on *something*, but as my primary goals is to make entire environments all by myself, it's a tough choice.

I feel what I'm lacking is proper guidance, because I am self-taught and while there's never been more free information online, there's also a lot of *contradictory* information. For each Perna post telling you about the black magic of Proboolean in Max, you'll find another arguing the benefits of hard surface modeling in Zbrush (just a random example). In fact, it's the reason I've joined some CG Society classes, but as far as personnal support goes, it really was a disappointment. Most of those guys provide project-based courses and there's no way to stray away from the model or technique being discussed.

I believe in aprencticeship and master/disciple relationship in general, but no matter how hard I look, it doesn't seem like I can find someone that could help me get to the next level. Some of you might have been stuck in such a phase at some point, I am looking for some advices, or possibly someone willing to help me directly. I would definitely be willing to pay a consequent monthly fee for mentorship, for instance.

Thoughts?

Replies

• Sam Hatami
    Offline / Send Message
    Sam Hatami polycounter lvl 16
    Before heading down the road of paying someone to give you hints and guidance. Do you have any regular contact with other artists? It does help a lot having artist friends that can give you a second opinion. Many times your friends wants to see you prosper and gives you really good support. Obviously friends aren't always available, but its free and it also very rewarding.

If you don't have many artist friends, you can start by adding me on Skype. I'm not online that often, but you can always send me a link or two and get I'll give you feedback when I can.

mhatami at hotmail.com
  • DireWolf
    Such coincidence. Someone just posted this image a few days ago.

iyu7OBM.jpg

https://vimeo.com/85040589

Keep working. Set yourself a realistic project. Try to finish it, that's very important. Don't go for anything too grand or too huge. Get it done and post here for feedback. You want people to point out your mistake. Don't waste your energy defending your work, instead spend it on the next piece keeping all the feedback you've got in mind.

Good luck. I'm heading down the same road myself. And I'm almost 36.

And it's never too late. I know a few concept artist who started at almost 40 years old.
  • Mant1k0re
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks both for your answers, I *really* appreciate it.

@ Sam, no, I don't. I am somewhat of a lurker and admirer of all the awesome work I see here, I guess I never had the opportunity to hook up with real artists, and if by chance I got involved in a thread with some, I felt too humble to ask anything meaningful. SO your offer is very generous, and I accept! I should say though that I don't see any issue at all with paying money for guidance, it's true that free help is awesome, but time is a commodity so if someone is helping me on my quest, I just feel the least I can do is compensate him/her for it.

@Direwolf, yes, I did see that thread actually, and I watched all of the videos linked by Dustin :) But I felt it's really directed at people who already are artists, and I don't consider myself an artist yet; it's also the reason I haven't posted anything yet. Not because I fear feedback and critique (that's what you post for right?) but simply because I think I am more likely to not get any feedback at all just yet. Thanks for mentionning your age, it does make me feel a little bit better. The most depressing thing for me is look at all the kick-ass art here on polycount and discover that the vast majority of the people behind it are literaly my son's age!
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    You should be more present around, especially online where there are so many free helps and resources. Many Facebook groups for artists to help each other with WIP too. Also, Monthly Challenges we have here are also good source of stuff to do. You seem to be envo artist, right ??
  • Mant1k0re
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your answer!

I am not a Facebook user :) But I didn't know such Facebook groups existed, to be honest. Do you know of one in particular?

Yes, environment is what I'm after - terrain, vegetation, props, architecture. I consider myself almost ready for noob challenges - just waiting for a good concept to pop up, I suppose.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I got my first game company internship when I was 31.

I'm self taught. I learned pretty much everything I know about 3D art and game production right here on Polycount. Prior to working in the Game Industry, I worked as a photographer & photo-retoucher for many years.
    I never went to college or any kind of art-school.

I'd hardly say you're too late.

Good concept or not, do a noob challenge. Post your work. Get crits, internalize good ones, be patient with poor ones, learn to tell the difference. Wash, rinse, repeat x100.
  • Mant1k0re
    Offline / Send Message
    I got my first game company internship when I was 31.

I'm self taught. I learned pretty much everything I know about 3D art and game production right here on Polycount. Prior to working in the Game Industry, I worked as a photographer & photo-retoucher for many years.
    I never went to college or any kind of art-school.

I'd hardly say you're too late.

Good concept or not, do a noob challenge. Post your work. Get crits, internalize good ones, be patient with poor ones, learn to tell the difference. Wash, rinse, repeat x100.

I have a lot of respect for those who achieved self-education all by themselves just looking at Polycount. As I was saying earlier, there is a lot of contradictory information being passed on even within Polycount so to get past the phase I'm at right now you must know how to sail and keep a heading without a compass, so to speak. That's my main issue, I can never decide who's right and who's wrong so I keep switching approach and I end up not finishing 80% of what I start because I start from scratch 5 times or more sometimes.

But you are right, I got to bite the bullet and enter the frey. I'll give the next noob challenge a shot. Thanks for
    those encouraging words.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Mant1k0re wrote: »
    Thanks for your answer!

I am not a Facebook user :) But I didn't know such Facebook groups existed, to be honest. Do you know of one in particular?

Yes, environment is what I'm after - terrain, vegetation, props, architecture. I consider myself almost ready for noob challenges - just waiting for a good concept to pop up, I suppose.

Do the challenge anyway. July starting soon. Good time to start as any.

-- FB groups --
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/VergeofEpic/
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/ArtistsoldNnew/
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenthousandhours/

and more. Some are concept artists, some are character artists, and some are envo/hardsurface artists.

I also FB add-friend some artists who will give me comments when I post arts on my wall.
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Keep a look out for some mentorship programs by experienced artists, many of whom frequent polycount. They will take a group of newbie artists under their wing for a monthly fee. A few of the guys on PC have done this and vouch for certain artists running these programs. It's never too late and good luck!
  • Mant1k0re
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern: thanks, I'll check them out. And yes, it's decided, I'll bite the bullet and participate in July's noob challenge.

Slosh: looking, looking!

Dustin: Kurt is a freaking rockstar -.- definitely not worthy of speaking to him yet. But I'm saving the link, it's precisely this kind of service I am looking for. Thank you very much for pointing this out to me :)
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    May sound weird, but you should consider finding a handful of artists whos work you like, who you've seen posting and feel you would get on well with, and message them directly.

Prove to them that not only are you not a complete beginner (ie: show them your portfolio), explain your goals, explain why you think they can help you, and suggest a project you can both work on in tandem.

In tandem meaning: you both make something similar, but you don't work together on the same project. Or maybe even ask if they'd be willing to oversee you on a project you're working on and they can give you some in-depth feedback or advice maybe twice or three times a week.

I did this a few years ago and it resulted in Hazardous running his Create a Girl course (which was awesome). And i'm not saying this will work, it may not happen for you, it may not get you any responses (4 of the 6 people i messaged never even replied). But it could.

I strongly believe polycount is full of amazing talents who have a lot to give and would actually love the opportunity to do so. But the one thing they all have in common is lack of time. So you need to prove that it's worth their time spending it with you, first and foremost.
  • Mant1k0re
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Lee,

yeah, I wish I could work the nerve to do something like this at some point ^^; Right now it feels like it might take a decade or so before I muster enough self-confidence. Maybe after a few noob challenges when I don't take a total beating for what I post!
  • MagicSugar
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    A mentor would really be beneficial if the mentee already have a portfolio or tool experience above a beginner level. Otherwise, I think taking online workshops would be a better deal.

Another option is to hire a pro for consultation time. Mentorship implies a long term arrangement. Consultation, maybe you only have to pay an hour or two to get a pro to give you a couple rounds of porfolio critique to spot your errors, identify knowledge gaps, help you polish up your folio. Advantage over paying versus relying on forum feedback? You could pick somebody who doesn't go to polycount often, for example. Or you can meet somebody locally. Maybe, you can have a session over hangouts or skype so you can trade art and feedback in real time.

I've paid a Bioware concept artist $200 for private lessons (this was before gumroads, twitter, etc.) and I did benefit tremendously from my investment. My first first drawing gig after those lessons totalled in $12K in revenue.

You could go hardcore self teaching and all but if you plateau, just spinning your wheels, and your job applications are all coming back as rejects perhaps it's an oppotune time to consider hiring a coach.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Dustin: Kurt is a freaking rockstar -.- definitely not worthy of speaking to him yet. But I'm saving the link, it's precisely this kind of service I am looking for.

I am not sure to understand what you mean here - sure enough if you are looking for advice you might as well learn from the best ! And if you settle for anything less, then you might end up receiving outdated information ... which is precisely what you say you want to avoid in the first place :)

Also I feel like you need to clearly make the distinction between design work (the art part) and execution work (the technical part). One is very often mistaken for another, and learning one does nothing to teach you the other. No Introduction to Zbrush class will ever teach you anatomy.

Put differently : I have seen very strong 2D artists with zero prior 3D experience produce interesting results out of Maya and Zbrush after just a few hours of explanation on how the programs work, because they had an already developped visual sense coming from years of artistic practice. Now of course none of the models were production ready, but that's hardly relevant... And at the other end of the spectrum, even after years of tinkering with 3D apps, an eager person might still produce below average results because of a lack of art fundamentals. I hope this makes sense !

All that being said, tackling online art challenges is definitely a good idea as it will force you to get things done in a timely manner. Furthermore, I would suggest you to try to produce pieces of game art roughly following the specifications of a game that you already have a fondness for. It will force you to work with both technical limitations and a precise, established art style, thus killing two birds with one stone. And the lower the technical specs (old classic games, mobile, MMOs) the faster your turnaround will be - meaning faster progress.

Good luck !
  • Mant1k0re
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar: Thank for your advices. I am definitely above beginner level for most of the tools I am using but I do not have a portfolio yet. Rather than showing a bunch of finished pieces and ask what can be improved what I had in mind was more like guidance on WIPs and an extra push to get them finished as often as possible.

Pior: To place an analogy here, think of a hardcore football fan that is training seriously to maybe play someday profesionally in a very small regional team, and you're suggesting that said guy go talk to Ronaldo for guidance :p That's my situation. I am in awe of all the awesome artists showcasing their work here or elsewhere, kind of like a groupie if you will! You may think it's retarded but honestly I think of many of them as geniuses so the "I'm not worthy" verse is sincere... for now.

Now for your points on trad art, if you're suggesting I should learn to draw, it's not going to happen :) I would love to go back in time and pay attention in art class as a kid but this ship has sailed. I believe that there are talented game artists that can't draw very well either. That's not to say that I am not interested in color theory, composition, etc. It's on my list and I do read on this as well. I bet this would be more of an issue if I was going for character art, but I want to make houses and castles and vehicles and ahstrays and trees, etc. I sure hope I can make it without painting a masterpiece on the side :)
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I am not exactly sure if the football analogy really works here, but that's a detail :)

To go back to the main point : it's not so much about "knowing how to draw" but rather about identifying where you want to go and what is the most efficient way to get there (bearing in mind that "efficient" does not mean "easy" :) ). For intance, and to take Kurt as an example again (even though his area of expertise is not exactly what you want to get into), here is model of his :

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=318822

It might look like he just fired up Zbrush and got this done "out of nowhere" ; but if you dig a little further, it's pretty obvious that he has been having such designs on his mind for a while, testing them out relentlessly beforehand, probably for years : (image seems to need a refresh to show up)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-3S7uwh7n1w0/UBuj4GyX3_I/AAAAAAAAA0A/qIwUhLtQ2ZY/s1600/sketchbook_priests.jpg

I guess all I am saying is that the most efficient way to get somewhere is not always the most obvious. 3D art is fun but also quite tiring and finnicky, so, anything that can be done beforehand to lock in a design amounts to huge amount of time saved while working on the execution phase. In other words, spending time on preparation and design is always beneficial, even if it means doing crude doodles. For instance, deciding on the curve to give to a support arch of a castle will always be faster in 2D than in 3D, and that's something anyone can do ... without exception ;)

I hope this makes sense ! And don't hesitate to point us to precise examples of things similar to what you want to achieve, so that we can give you pointers on how to get there as efficiently as possible.
  • Mant1k0re
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for taking the time to elaborate, Pior. I do actually spend a lot fo time researching architecture, because that's really what I like modeling best. I own quite a few Francis K. Ching books, and tons of monographs on diverse topics such as victorian, gothic or east asian architecture. So I guess I am on the right path :). For examples of what I'm dreaming to achieve, I guess I would point out Tomb Raider's (2013) environments for its East Asian architectural elements and generally the ruined aspect of everything. Modeling destruction rocks, I'm just not up to snuff on that topic just yet.

tombraider_2014-10-28_22-24-52-18.jpg

Tomb-Raider-screenshot.jpg

Then I really have to quote the Order 1886, it's brilliantly done, and RAD enviro team is kicking ass.

pstone_alley_002.jpg

pstone_mainstreet_007.jpg

And I should mention that I have a passion for modularity. I made a few sets myself for modern architecture as training and I really enjoyed it. My reference (dare I say Guru) on this topic is Tor Frick, no need to present his stuff.

Finally, I really like post-apocalyptic themes especially when it's the opportunity to see ruined architecture overtaken by vegetation like in The Last of Us (N-Dog rules!).

the-last-of-us-video-game_00433522.jpg