Home General Discussion

Sony reveals project Morpheus, their VR system for PS4

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
ZacD ngon master
http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/18/5523984/sony-reveals-project-morpheus-its-vr-system-for-ps4

AlESavC.jpg

This has been rummored for a while. Hard to know what to expect, Sony has never been good with peripherals.

Replies

• MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    i'll reserve total judgement until oculus' presentation tomorrow, but initially i'm a bit worried about how many big developers are going to hop onto this. Great games are going to sell this stuff, but if no one is prepared to invest in trying something new then the whole thing will flop. Keeping things a bit more open to small time developers like oculus is doing will really help with the transition to VR

some more info here http://www.roadtovr.com/gdc-2014-sony-computer-entertainment-driving-future-innovation-live-blog-515pm-pdt/
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Its worth as a peripheral will be measured for me like I judge all other peripherals. What supports it, how well, and is it actually more fun (and equally/less frustrating) than how I currently play games?

Personally I'm not a fan of the whole VR thing as a whole. I really don't want to blind myself from what's going on in my living room. What if bad guys show up in my house? I'll have these clunky goggle things on my face not being able to see shit! And when bad guys arrive, seconds count.

Could be cool though.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    The headset uses a 1080p LCD, offers a 90-degree field of view, and will integrate with the PlayStation Camera for tracking and PlayStation Move for motion control.

It doesn't have any motion tracking built in, so I'm not sure how this will perform versus Oculus. Notably, you also have to buy the Playstation Camera to make it work, and potentially Move too, so it's likely going to be expensive to get started with.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    It's pointless. PS4 doesn't have enough horse power to support VR, to the point where you won't vomit after 30 mins. Of course for high quality visuals.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    yes, doubtful that PS4 can render halfway complex visuals in stereo at 1080 while keeping up a decent framerate but perhaps they can leverage something, being theoretically very much in control of their hardware.

also they might just drop down a resolution or two for games (contrary to what you may have heard, 720p on the oculus DK1 is quite usable a resolution for games) and might have just decided on that panel for cost and availability. i wonder about the cost though. and how a fragile device like that is intended to survive a family's living room.

lastly, would i put my money on console developers 'getting' VR while being under the usual constraints to design something that pleases a wide audience, that can shift lots of units and all that soon-ish?

i think VR needs to be explored properly first and i would put my money on an open community, on demos that shape overall design practices over time and on a company that cares beyond fiscal quarter whatever and for whom this is the center piece of their business, not some me-too gimmick.
    who knows, that might even be sony. ;)
  • mLichy