Home General Discussion

Is it harder to sculpt women than sculpting men?

To anyone that sculpts characters, do you have a slightly harder time sclupting women(beautiful sexy women) than men? or perhaps the reverse? If so, why is that?

Just curious if there's a reason or if it's common that some people have a harder time with women, or if you guys feel like it's the same difficulty level.

Replies

• Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Well, male anatomy has always come more naturally to me, probably because I am male. I think generally people have an easier time with their own gender, but there are exceptions to that.
  • Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Traditionally I've found it more interesting to paint men, but I think that's probably more because there's generally more definition/detail, which has captured my interest much more than painting (or sculpting, it's all the same to me) girls.

Women, well I mean it's usually just a very soft face with little in the way of imperfections. Smooth with subtle shapes. Same with bodies, a girl's arm compared to a guy's - which is going to have more definition? Definition and detail gives me purpose and knowledge to work with. Painting a...pleasantly shapely tube without much definition I generally find to be much less interesting, which has led to a lack of practice, and I'd probably have to spend longer on it if I did it. I also feel like an aesthetically pleasing guy is generally more accurate to life than what is typically accepted as an aesthetically pleasing girl (I'm mostly talking face here, believe it or not). Faces especially for female characters tend to be so specific with how smooth they are, how small and perky their noses are, how big/shapely their eyes are, the lips that are always open just a bit, etc. That's the norm, anyway.

Though, I have noticed a bit of androgyny making its way into my faces from time to time, which is something I'm actually happy about. I'm beginning to appreciate the creative subtleties that can be implemented in women. Freedom to do things with makeup, eyelashes, hairstyles, jewelry, etc. I will have to try to work on some women in the near future, I think.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    It depends on what you want to depict, i think less "beatiful" (whats considered to be beauty these days mostly) women can be done almost the same as the average male game character.

You can do almost anything to male sculpts and they still can turn out manly, while when you give the wrong wrinkle in a womens face too much weight it will turn her into a guy.

Beautiful women are all about subtlety, the wrong balance in minor parts can turn the whole thing around.
    In the end it's all about practice, if you did nothing but women for years, they will be easier for you, sadly the majority of game characters i do are male, therefore i think i lack experience in that field.
  • MM
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    No.

If you consider every single aspect of a human being from muscles to bones to skin and fat, then it does not matter what gender you sculpt.

they are 100% equal in difficulty.

the only difference lies in the eyes of the observer and their capability to objectively judge the quality of the work and how much they are willing to compromise in each gender in regards to anatomy/flesh/bones etc.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I Think guys , or more specifically muscular guys are harder to sculpt, women not so much so, but they are still tricky to say the least.
    as soon as you go down the realism route then any mistakes or imperfections in anatomy tend to stand out like a sore thumb.
  • Decoyz
    I thought this was an interesting comment, coming from one of the character artists of Mass Effect 3. Even this guy agrees that females are harder.

"What was the most challenging asset for ME3?

Rodrigue: I think it was the female characters in general. It's so hard to get a female character that pleases everyone. Whatever the project, the female characters are always the ones that need the most iterations because we all have a different idea of what a beautiful woman looks like.

The Reapers were also a challenge because on the tech side these guys are so big it was tough to get them running in the engine while keeping them looking awesome."

taken from http://pixologic.com/interview/mass-effect3/7/
  • JordanN
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Male game characters usually get the benefit of being in decked out space armor and wear helmets to cover up any bad muscles.

Female game characters you just export the naked mesh when you're done. :poly122:
  • ysalex
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    No, not at all. What IS harder is sculpting subtle characters, man or woman. The problem is that men are hardly ever sculpted with subtlety. They get rock hard muscle definition, no fat. Seems like modeler sculpt women trying to be as beautiful as possible , requiring a lot more subtlety, and so it gets harder.
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    I'm gonna chime in with my 10 cents. I do think both are equally difficult. There is so much to anatomy and perfecting it is nearly impossible. I will say that with males, its easier to cover up since you can have a lot of muscle definition while with women, its much more subtle. I find women much more difficult to get right, faces and anatomy wise. I find that people who say women are easier cuz there is less detail really aren't seeing the forms underlying the skin very well. I find women more difficult but I also enjoy it much more.
  • Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    The issue is that when people start out sculpting, they almost always start with making male characters. Barbarians and orcs and superheros, etc. They look at references of muscular anatomy, that ecorche just about everyone has sitting on their desk, and photography of men who are very fit. That unguided practice instills in the artist the habit of sculpting individual muscles in an almost paint-by-numbers sort of process. When they begin to confront situations where truly understanding the concepts of subtlety and organic anatomy is required, they get completely stumped.

I don't view that as an issue, it's just the process most people learn in. I mean really, that's pretty much all they're going to find when people say "Go study anatomy". You pick up any anatomy book, what've you got? Muscles. Fit, idealistic bodies. Even if they wanted "guided" practice, is it really that easy for folks to go out and find a guide who's going to teach them how to paint subtle attractive lady features? Or are they going to get stuck posting shit online where they're lucky to get "Go study anatomy" as a crit?

Besides, I kind of feel like subtlety is on the other end of the extreme. It's not what anyone should be trying to do at first. First you have to do things "right", do something basic and normal. Muscle groups, bones, proportions, etc. Once you've got normal, then you mess it up and make it weirder/more extreme, or learn to fine tune it with attractive subtleties.
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Decoyz wrote: »
    I thought this was an interesting comment, coming from one of the character artists of Mass Effect 3. Even this guy agrees that females are harder.

"What was the most challenging asset for ME3?

Rodrigue: I think it was the female characters in general. It's so hard to get a female character that pleases everyone. Whatever the project, the female characters are always the ones that need the most iterations because we all have a different idea of what a beautiful woman looks like.

i think that says it all though. no difference in 'difficulty' to do the work but female characters get judged on a different and much subtler scale (i.e. attractiveness).

unless you work for square, then you are f*cked both ways. :)
  • Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, by contrast, if instead of learning on your own, you were to take some life drawing or painting or sculpting classes at an atelier or local college, they would have you working from a lot of different body types, both male and female. So gender wouldn't even be a point of contention for you. They would nip the contrived muscle business in the bud very early on and have you thinking more in terms of tone and subtlety at a very early stage.

I won't deny that as a potentially helpful possibility, but I would still consider scuplting or painting the "beautiful sexy women" art OP was referring to to be a ways down the road from pumping out silhouettes and studies of nude 20-60 year olds. Better than grinding on biceps, for sure, but my point was that the subtlety and "beauty" usually interpreted from female forms isn't exactly "art stuff 101", so it makes sense that there aren't as many people who hit that point and are able to churn it out.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    In general, I think it's harder to create beautiful women. Because it's very subjective and relative. What's beautiful ? Well, I can tell you, it's quite narrow. Very few women can be considered beautiful by everyone/the majority/the standdard. This is largely due to media and society as a whole.

Men, on the other hand, men. Any goes for men. As long as it's not anatomically disaster. Men have many faces on the magazine. Women ? All women look the same. (to a certain degree) on a magazine cover.
  • MM
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    PyrZern wrote: »
    In general, I think it's harder to create beautiful women. Because it's very subjective and relative. What's beautiful ? Well, I can tell you, it's quite narrow. Very few women can be considered beautiful by everyone/the majority/the standdard. This is largely due to media and society as a whole.

Men, on the other hand, men. Any goes for men. As long as it's not anatomically disaster. Men have many faces on the magazine. Women ? All women look the same. (to a certain degree) on a magazine cover.

that makes no sense.

if you ask a straight girl then it would be the opposite of that.

men, woman, what ever you sculpt, it is all the same level of difficulty IF you want to achieve the same level of quality.

it seems really absurd to say men cannot be beautifully sculpted. there are same amount of subtleties to be handled when sculpting a male form.

few examples:
    http://cghub.com/images/view/248562/favorite:14152/
    http://www.telekiraul.com/

it all depends on at what point you are willing to be satisfied by a specific piece of art. every single human sculpt out there has TONS of flaws all around it. it all depends how many flaws YOU can see. If you are good at female sculpting you will see more flaws in females and vise versa.

if you think one is easier than the other then the problem lies in your own observation.
  • Wendy de Boer
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    I agree with Shiniku. It's usually easier for an artist to portray their own gender.

Maybe it's because you are most familiar with the subtleties of your own body. Maybe it's because artists usually start out portraying their own gender, because they relate to it better. Either way, one is not harder than the other, it's just what you are most familiar with and have practiced the most.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    MM wrote: »
    that makes no sense.

if you ask a straight girl then it would be the opposite of that.

men, woman, what ever you sculpt, it is all the same level of difficulty IF you want to achieve the same level of quality.

it seems really absurd to say men cannot be beautifully sculpted. there are same amount of subtleties to be handled when sculpting a male form.

few examples:
    http://cghub.com/images/view/248562/favorite:14152/
    http://www.telekiraul.com/

it all depends on at what point you are willing to be satisfied by a specific piece of art. every single human sculpt out there has TONS of flaws all around it. it all depends how many flaws YOU can see. If you are good at female sculpting you will see more flaws in females and vise versa.

if you think one is easier than the other then the problem lies in your own observation.

I'm not saying men can't be beautifully sculpted. I'm saying sculpting men isn't so focused on oh-so-handsome quality. Whereas most sculpted women are oh-so-Victoria's Secret Models.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Well one main source of confusion on this topic could be said to be, it's hard to create a GOOD sculpt regardless of gender. Compared to throwing muscles onto a grizzly male with no thought of weight or body fat. ;P
  • MM
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    PyrZern wrote: »
    I'm not saying men can't be beautifully sculpted. I'm saying sculpting men isn't so focused on oh-so-handsome quality. Whereas most sculpted women are oh-so-Victoria's Secret Models.

whether an artists focuses on a male sculpt to be beautiful or not is completely irrelevant to the question of topic here. artists not focusing on any particular subject does not equal to that subject being easier than other subjects.

most 3d artists are creating female models, so the question of one being more difficult than other is answered usually with a bias like you just did.

forget about digital media, think of traditional sculptures. there are tons of properly done male figures and comparatively less anatomically correct female sculptures. that does not mean male sculptured were easier to make back in renaissance period, it just means nude female models well less available back then.

objectively thinking, they are equally difficult.
  • LRoy
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    ysalex wrote: »
    No, not at all. What IS harder is sculpting subtle characters, man or woman. The problem is that men are hardly ever sculpted with subtlety. They get rock hard muscle definition, no fat. Seems like modeler sculpt women trying to be as beautiful as possible , requiring a lot more subtlety, and so it gets harder.

i'd say this. with men you can get away with just making muscles everywhere (you can't, but people do anyway) with women you have to be more aware of where the structure is since they tend to be ultra sexy and everything everything has to be very apparent. breast on ribcage, hips flare out, etc.

obviously they're very close anatomically thats just the way people tend to look at them.