Home General Discussion

Workstation and Desk Suggestion Thread

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
RogelioD polycounter lvl 12
Just moved into a new place and would really love a nice home office desk to work on. Does anyone have any good suggestions for desks they may own or may have owned? A desk that is low in price point, support 2 or even 3 monitors, and also one preferably with at least 1 drawer. Although those are preferable, really any nice (cheap) desk would be awesome.

If you can, suggest away!

Also, feel free to post pics of your awesome workstation here as well because why not? I'd love to see em!

Replies

• Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    I have one like this (not Ikea, but same style) Supports 3 24" monitors. Easy to break down and packs in a slim area. For storage I do know the Ikea ones have additional things you can add to them.

73000_PE189255_S4.jpg
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    i love me some L-shaped/corner desks with a smooth bend to lean into. setup like this (not my machine):
    panoramic-home-office.jpg

i have one that is smaller than pictured at 160x160cm and features backpanels. would support four widescreen-monitors easily and came with a set of removable drawers. i use it for two machines and it's far from cramped.

the advantage of these desks is that they are spacious, super-sturdy - no wobbling monitors when you torture the wacom - lots of space underneath and that if you work in the bend you can rest your arms on the desk surface. the armrests of my chair slide underneath the table when i'm seated.
    since picking one of those up i have a hard time using a bog standard straight desk in an office, really. never quite as comfy.

no idea where from and how much, i bought it used from a coworker desperate to get rid of it who couldn't fit it into his new house (UK 'houses'... :D ).
  • Kip McSkipster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kip McSkipster polycounter lvl 13
    Hi Rogelio ;) here's my home setup.
    TEBOOlw.jpg
    This is Ikea's now-discontinued, fantastic Jerker desk. I found mine on craigslist. What's great, besides its sturdiness, is how it can be configured so that both the desk and extra shelf are at any height along the vertical rails. I used to have it at sitting height, then reconfigured it later for standing.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Here is my sexy work area. Huzzah to kip for the Antec 900 case! I have the same behind my chair!

EpyzmV5.jpg
    Edit, why i was posting:
    A really simple way to expand your desk space is to put a old kitchen worktop on top of your desk. Gain another 2 foot each side easily.

Lastly i have 4 of those little cabinets from a charity shop. They're all similar size so i have modular cupboards to use when rearranging. Also great stores for clutter.
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14
    If you don't have one already, get a GOOD chair. Your entire body will thank you.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119597 had a thread on workstations awhile ago its worth a look, id love a L shaped desk but it isn't good for this shape room, chimney breast gets in the way but I did add a shelf to the corner of my desk and chucked a old dell on there 63225117-4d8c-46d8-980d-724ea98323b9.jpg
  • RogelioD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys!!
  • RogelioD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wANTfcd.jpg

Just got my workstation up and running! Pumped to be doing work again!

The desk was an amazing deal. Looked at A LOT of places/deals and this was by far the best. The most width and depth for only 129.99 at Office Depot. Very happy with the purchase!
  • lanonagar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My work desk is relatively plain in looks. It is black in color and L-shaped. It has in-built speaker and power wires. I was unable to post the image of my desk. If anyone is interested to take a look at my desk, they can follow this link to view it.