Home General Discussion

Persona

NegevPro
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
I'm not sure if there are many Persona fans here on Polycount but there were a ton of pretty big Persona related announcements today.

First, Persona 5 was given a 2015 release date for North America and was also given a teaser which is pretty much identical to the Japanese teaser that was released several months ago.

Second, Atlus announced that they are localizing all of the spin-off titles that were previously announced, which were all also given NA release dates. These titles include Persona Q for the 3DS, Persona 4: Dancing All Night for the PS Vita, and Persona 4: Arena Ultimax for the PS3 and 360.

Not too sure if there's anybody out there looking forward to Dancing All Night but I guess there's a crowd for that kind of game haha. I don't own a 3DS or a Vita but after seeing the Persona Q trailer I will no doubt end up buying a 3DS solely for it.

Looking at Atlus' trailer releases, I think we can expect to start seeing some weekly trailers on their Japanese youtube channel for the spinoff titles and eventually Persona 5.

Replies

• NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Forgot to include the videos haha.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKfaPgl8N8E"]Persona 5 Teaser - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdW_Y46DXiA"]Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth Teaser - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3EFoT-yvss"]Persona 4 Arena Ultimax Teaser - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91r1STWZc9I"]Persona 4: Dancing All Night Teaser - YouTube[/ame]
  • klawlight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, neat, last I checked this morning, Dancing All Night wasn't announced for localization.
    I will no doubt being picking up all of these games.
    Also, just in case you weren't aware, both of the spin offs are cross over games with popular games.
    Persona Q is Etrian Odyssey and Dancing All Night is Project Diva.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    That Persona Dancing game is so ridiculous it might just work. I wish Persona 5 would be on PS4....But we know how Atlus loves dragging a console lifespan with SMT and Persona titles. :p
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm actually quite happy it's on PS3 simply because I don't plan on buying a next-gen platform for a while considering there aren't any games that have really held my interest for that long.

While it might not be on PS4, I'm sure it'll be playable with that Playstation Now streaming service by the time it comes out. It's not the best solution but Persona isn't really a fast-paced game so even if there's input delay it should still feel pretty fluid.

I'm still on the fence between getting a 3DS or a Vita though. On one hand I get Persona Q (and some other kickass 3DS games!) but on the other, I get Persona 4: Golden...and Dancing All Night.

Anybody happen to own a 3DS and a Vita and can give some input as to which platform they prefer more?
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poribo polycounter lvl 13
    I am excite! but being in a PAL region I kind of worry about not being able to play most of these games for awhile after localisation if they are region locked (even with PS3 titles like Arena being locked).

I can't wait to see some art for P5, if Catherine is anything to go by, it's going to look great.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In case anybody cares, Persona 4 is finally getting ported to PS3 next week.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/03/persona-4s-playstation-3-release-date-revealed
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    Loved Persona 4, still think it is one of the best JRPGs, sadly wont be playing 5 for a while since iam not planning on getting a PS3...
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    Love Persona 4, one of my favourite JRPGS ever (up there with Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI).

If don't have time to play it (it is an 80 hour+ game), Jeff and Vinny did a hilarious endurance run of the game a few years back. Great to have on in the background whilst your working.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2_Y7CxaZkI&list=PL3B26858868FCB448"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2_Y7CxaZkI&list=PL3B26858868FCB448[/ame]
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loved Persona 4, still think it is one of the best JRPGs, sadly wont be playing 5 for a while since iam not planning on getting a PS3...
    Sony's Playstation Now service is coming out soon I think. There's no confirmation of what titles will be available yet but considering how huge Persona is in Japan, I'd say that we should see Persona 5 (along with P3FES, P4, and P2) on the service in a fair amount of time.

If you like JRPGs then I think a purchase of the PS3 is justifiable, even with the next-gen consoles already available. Most, if not all, Nippon Ichi Software games are pretty amazing JRPGs so there is plenty to play, then there are the great non-JRPG exclusives like the games made by Naughty Dog, for example.

It's understandable if you don't want to invest in another piece of hardware though, personally Persona 5 is the one game I've truly wanted to play for a very long time now so I already have my PS3 ready haha.

On an unrelated note, given Atlus' track record, I'd say it's safe to assume that we'll see a Persona 5:Enhanced Edition some time after the launch of Persona 5 on other platforms. Persona 2, 3, and 4 made it onto portable platforms after the launch of the console versions and one can argue that the portable versions are better in basically every way (with the exception of P3P in which the cutscenes were removed.) So if you have a PSVita you'll probably still be in luck!
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    persona 3 and 4 are great in their various incarnations! P3P beats P3FES with it's upgraded gameplay quite handily, i suspect the same is true for the P4 vita version over the PS2 original.
    P5 has been teased for such a long while now, you wonder how they let their biggest series have what now amounts to a six year gap between releases...

and playstation 3 and/or old-gen only? that would be quite sad news indeed. my ps3 and x360 have long ceased to exist after various RROD's and YLOD's each, not going to purchase any of these flawed designs again.

i'm only interested in the main series. even catherine did little for me.
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    NegevPro wrote: »
    Sony's Playstation Now service is coming out soon I think. There's no confirmation of what titles will be available yet but considering how huge Persona is in Japan, I'd say that we should see Persona 5 (along with P3FES, P4, and P2) on the service in a fair amount of time.

If you like JRPGs then I think a purchase of the PS3 is justifiable, even with the next-gen consoles already available. Most, if not all, Nippon Ichi Software games are pretty amazing JRPGs so there is plenty to play, then there are the great non-JRPG exclusives like the games made by Naughty Dog, for example.

It's understandable if you don't want to invest in another piece of hardware though, personally Persona 5 is the one game I've truly wanted to play for a very long time now so I already have my PS3 ready haha.

On an unrelated note, given Atlus' track record, I'd say it's safe to assume that we'll see a Persona 5:Enhanced Edition some time after the launch of Persona 5 on other platforms. Persona 2, 3, and 4 made it onto portable platforms after the launch of the console versions and one can argue that the portable versions are better in basically every way (with the exception of P3P in which the cutscenes were removed.) So if you have a PSVita you'll probably still be in luck!

Yeah i mean it's not like a PS3 is a major investment anymore but yeah we will see ;) 2015 is still some time away anyway.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So there's a pretty decent looking deal on a 3DS (I think, I haven't purchased a mobile gaming device since the original DS so many years ago.)

Does anybody own a 3DS? Is it worth the money? I was thinking of purchasing one solely for Persona Q but I'm not sure if dropping $100 for one game is a smart idea (I'd totally do it for Persona 5 though!)

Also in case anybody else plans on jumping on the deal "Does not ship to AK/HI/Canada/Puerto Rico"
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hate handheld gaming. Sorry.. HatED. I got my 3DS to play Pokemon..and shit man.. then I started getting some eShop games..then saw ALL these rad JRPGs I have been interested in..and at one point I was playing my 3DS more than my consoles or PC. It's great to lay in bed an hour or two before I go to sleep and jam out a dungeon or two in a game. There are a few SMT games I want to get into and some other stuff in the backlog. I say get it.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    I've got the same thing, but with my Vita. I have a 3DS which I bought for Bravely Default, but apart from a few other games, 3DS's library doesn't speak to me that much. If you are a fan of Nintendo's stuff, then I would say go for it. Their first party support is pretty damn good. As a handheld it's also pretty nice, the battery life on the XL is awesome and it's surprisingly comfortable to hold.

Personally, I was thinking of getting SMT IV for it, but frankly I've always been a bit hesitant to try any of the games from the main series. As much as I like the dungeon crawling in Persona games, I'm not sure if I could spend the whole game doing just that. On the other hand, I kept hearing so many good things about Nocturne that I might actually give it a shot at some point.

That said, I've been playing P4 Golden lately (never finished the original PS2 version) and I love it. Unlike P3P which was great in some areas (full party control in combat, additional bosses) and bad in others (no free roam, no cutscenes) the additions in P4G are awesome. The changes to the Shuffle Time make it a bit easier, but apart from that everything else seems to be a big improvement. Apart from Marie, holy crap is her writing bad.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the input, I just purchased it. I love Nintendo games but one thing I hated about playing games on my Wii is the fact that a lot of games have been dumbed down to ridiculous levels. I finished a pokemon game on the Wii a few months ago in which it was literally impossible to lose, I'm hoping that's not the case with 3DS games.

I'll pick up Bravely Default and SMT IV ASAP since they both look great and I've heard nothing but great things about both of them, and now I can actually look forward to playing Persona Q rather than drooling over how awesome the trailers look haha.

I was going to blow all of my money on the upcoming Steam sale but then I thought about how much I love Persona. I like basically every game I play but many games end up just turning into endless killing war simulators, which can still be fun, but I love a change of pace in games too.

And now to play the long waiting game!
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New trailer just got released for Persona Q.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0M7u4iX3sc"]?????Q??????? - YouTube[/ame]

ONLY 6 MORE MONTHS!
  • Damian Nachman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damian Nachman polycounter lvl 6
    Baj Singh wrote: »
    Love Persona 4, one of my favourite JRPGS ever (up there with Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI).

If don't have time to play it (it is an 80 hour+ game), Jeff and Vinny did a hilarious endurance run of the game a few years back. Great to have on in the background whilst your working.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2_Y7CxaZkI&list=PL3B26858868FCB448

Don't you dare casting Bufu.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That trailer music rules! But it told me nothing about it. Ha.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure if you've been following Atlus' Japanese youtube channel but there are a ton of videos out. I'm a Persona addict so I've seen all of them...multiple times lol.

Basically, Persona Q will be a Persona-themed Etrian Odyssey. Dungeon crawling will play very similar to Etrian Odyssey but there will still be things like Social Links, Fusions, sidequests, etc. They also have the map system from Etrian Odyssey in place so you have to draw your own maps, but there's an option to automatically map out the dungeon if you don't want to hand draw it.

You pick a main character from either P3 or P4 in the beginning. From there, you can pick four other characters from either game then either Rise or Fuuka as support.

The story, as you could probably predict, won't be canon which is unfortunate since it would be pretty awesome to see some old characters again in the future.

Overall, I'm quite excited for the game, it really looks like a lot of fun. I haven't actually played Etrian Odyssey but my 3DS finally came in today and EO is high on my list of games to get.

In other Persona related news, since PQ is finally out in Japan, Atlus will start uploading footage of their other games. They just uploaded two new trailers for P4U2 meaning the next two months will likely be non-stop P4U2 content. Afterwards, we'll most likely start seeing some new Persona 5 footage!

Here's another trailer for PQ that has gameplay in case you were curious and don't want to dig through the tons of minute long vidoes they uploaded.

Gameplay starts at about 1:30

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMq6BPIiY3o"]?????Q??4?PV - YouTube[/ame]