Home General Discussion

A stupid question; artist's resume showcasing portfolio piece ?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
I'm curious. Why is no one doing this ?

People talk all the time about making the resume pops. And considering how some hiring ppl don't spend more than a few secs on it. And how kickass portfolio is more important than a degree or name of college you went to.
Why isn't the kickass portfolio piece on the resume ?

Apart from the fact that hiring manager isn't a good artist, of course.

Replies

• slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Your resume is NOT to show off your art. It's for employers to see your background information. Also, many recruiters don't use the folio, they use your resume. Your resume and folio are completely different entities with separate purposes.
  • skankerzero
    I have a faint, wireframe on grey shaded model, character standing on the left hand side of my resume.

Been doing it forever.
  • Habboi
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    The background on my CV also has a faint picture to spice things up amongst the boring white CV's that must blur together when the employer is going through 1000's of them.

Anyway shhhhh it's our secret technique!
  • Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    From my (limited) experience in reviewing applicants; your resume won't even get looked at if they don't like your portfolio.
  • AA3D
    Offline / Send Message
    AA3D polycounter lvl 3
    Mongrelman wrote: »
    From my (limited) experience in reviewing applicants; your resume won't even get looked at if they don't like your portfolio.

ammm ... stupid question : what if i only show a portfolio . no resume
  • Del
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    I've spoken to a HR that told me they throw out Resum
  • VelvetElvis
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    If it's faint then it might be okay. The issue is what if they print out your resume in black and white? Does your art piece now look like a coffee stain? Personally I don't care about art on resumes unless the art piece is so big that the person had to use 2 point font to fit everything else on the page or the art piece is in no way related to what they do. Yes, Hello Kitty letterhead, I'm referring to you.

Art on the resume is going to do either 2 things. Directly into the trash or directly into the call back pile as they'll remember you for that piece of work. When I get 20 applicants dumped into my email to go through for recommendations for callbacks, I give the resume a glance and mostly concentrate on the portfolio. HR is the one really concerned about the resume and they are the ones who will scrutinize it.

If you are going to apply for an older, established, more corporate company then you might want to play it cautious with the art on the resume. That's where you might find the really uptight and stuffy views on how the resume is supposed to be.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Do you mean something like:

Personal portfolio piece Scifi Crate March 2014- April 2014
    -Modeled, textured, shader work on sample scifi crate for portfolio

Something to that effect? No. Don't do that.

Or do you mean a screenshot of a model? I guess that's fine like Skanker says in the background. But shoot man that's what the folio is for anyways. Beating a dead horse there.
  • skankerzero
    I usually try and tie my resume, portfolio, and website together with a theme.

The way I see it is if a studio is so stuffy that they will toss your resume for having art direction applied to it, then I'd rather not work there.

To me, it's like being asked to wear a suit to an interview. Fuck that.

Linkedin kind of makes this all moot though.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    So, let's say you email in the letter and the resume and add a link to your online folio. What get looked at first ? If the Resume is plain and crappy, is the folio even looked at ? Anyone knows ?
  • easterislandnick
    Offline / Send Message
    easterislandnick polycounter lvl 17
    I hire people at CA from time to time. I look at a portfolio first. If it's great then I look at a CV/resume. Portfolio always come first and gets 90% of my attention. A CV should be well ordered, easy to read and have as much attention to detail as a portfolio. No spelling or formatting mistakes. If you don't care about a document that will get you a job because it's the boring part will you care about optimizing 100 models when needed because it's the boring part of game art!?

I'm not interested in seeing game art on a resume. Tying it into you website sounds great though, nice attention to detail!
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    if you put images on your resume/CV, i think you also run the risk of it looking quite shitty or even barely readable when printed/photocopied on an office laserjet. most/all interviews i ever attended had us going through a printed version of my paperwork.
  • skankerzero
    thomasp wrote: »
    if you put images on your resume/CV, i think you also run the risk of it looking quite shitty or even barely readable when printed/photocopied on an office laserjet. most/all interviews i ever attended had us going through a printed version of my paperwork.

And that's a good indication of poor design / layout skills. For someone like me, I usually test print stuff like that out on multiple settings.

I've always been really big on presentation on anything I do though. I spend a lot of time adjusting fonts and font colors on my documents to ensure proper eye flow and readability.
    My spread sheets are glorious.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    As a matter of fact, I just saw an email from LinkedIn; Blizzard Job group. Same question popped up. O o'

Anyway, the recruiter/hiring manager there recommend separate Resume if you want to have a graphical resume of any kind that's not pure black wall of text on white background.

Sounds reasonable.