Home General Discussion

Alien: Isolation

Replies

• eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Camerons aliens removed the skull as far as I know, gigers xenomorph would gradually age through the movie and the dome would become more and more opaque, and the skull harder and harde to see, but it was most definitely there.

Important part though was that the thing was very subtle to the point of being subconscious, looks like it is barely visible in the game as well.
  • crazyfool
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Amazing work guys :) looks more and more stunning with every shot, I might have to get it and play the first 2 minutes before cowering behind the sofa and letting my GF play it hahaha....dead space styley!!!

saw this this morning and it made me chuckle a bit haha

photo.jpg
  • balticbuddha
    Is there any indirect lighting in those pics? I mean, real light probes. In the beginning of the gameplay demo, the shot of the long corridor, it looks quite like it - otherwise I can't imagine how you would give different ambient lighting to each room of the ship.
  • Kitty|Owl
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitty|Owl polycounter lvl 3
    looks like some kind of realtime radiosity approximation, similar to http://www.geomerics.com/
  • marks
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Kitty|Owl wrote: »
    looks like some kind of realtime radiosity approximation, similar to http://www.geomerics.com/

Bingo (it's tech developed in-house though, not licensed).
  • ErichWK
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    New Screens.

AI_SCREENSHOT_980x551_0001.jpg
    AI_SCREENSHOT_980x551_02.jpg
    AI_SCREENSHOT_980x551_04.jpg
    AI_SCREENSHOT_980x551_0003.jpg
    AI_SCREENSHOT_980x551_0002.jpg

Okay, which one of you artists want to get me pregnant with your talent?
  • redhonour
    Offline / Send Message
    redhonour polycounter lvl 8
    Damn, another must buy for me. 2014 is the year of games I actually want to play for once.
  • PogoP
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Looks so so nice! You talented peeps are kicking so much ass!!!
  • mats effect
    We need more 80's sci fi in games!
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    just hoping that commodore PET on the desk isn't running the alien's AI routines. ;)

i like the attention to detail e.g. on that hacking device.

any plans on supporting the oculus rift?
  • Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Man I'm looking forward to this.
  • Dan Allardyce
    I really hope this game lives up to expectations. It looks great, but after the last Aliens game I'm more than a little hesitant to put my money down right away.
  • PogoP
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    http://youtu.be/9juRvhkW_U8

Hmm, can't seem to embed this video. New vid about the making of the Alien :)
  • HitmonInfinity
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    I'm pretty sure these dudes could sell me anything. As a dumb american, those accents really add credibility for me lol.
  • skyline5gtr
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Looks awesome, but after Colonial Marine and Rome 2 I'm very nervous with Sega & CA. I hope reviews are good !
  • Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    This looks like a purchase for me!
  • almighty_gir
  • marks
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Looks awesome, but after Colonial Marine and Rome 2 I'm very nervous with Sega & CA. I hope reviews are good !

You mean, those two games made by completely separate dev teams that have nothing to do with the team making A:I ?
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Regardless of that fact, the Colonial Marines debacle is got to have cast a very nasty shadow on any future Aliens franchise offerings from Sega.

Bad games besmirch your label.
  • skyline5gtr
    Offline / Send Message
    marks wrote: »
    You mean, those two games made by completely separate dev teams that have nothing to do with the team making A:I ?

Yes but all published by Sega, they hold the majority of the money and I'm sure have a big say in its development. Plus not everyone knows that they are going to see CA and think Rome 2 and Colonial Marine - its hard to break the stigma those 2 games brought the brands especially CM. I really really really want this to kick ass and it looks awesome but so did CM
  • Richard Kain
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I really really really want this to kick ass and it looks awesome but so did CM

A fair point. I wouldn't lump Total War: Rome II in with Colonial Marines. Total War: Rome II sounds like it was just disappointing and a tad buggy given the pedigree of that series. I can say from personal experience that Colonial Marines is a full-on train wreck. But yes, having mis-steps definitely hangs a bit of a question mark over such efforts.

At the same time, the abysmal nature of CM also lowers the bar. I'm simply not expecting as much from the next Alien game. It can be much shorter, and I would still be happy as long as the core experience was solid. Going with a more procedurally generated experience is also a fantastic idea that I think would work well in this context. The nature of the game they're trying to produce helps to keep the scale and scope much smaller, and that will likely help.

But it is better to be cautious about getting too excited.
  • Sugus
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    I really don't understand how anyone would be sceptical about this game based on another previous game which also has alien in the title, but developed by a complete different team.

IMO this looks really awesome and i'm looking forward to playing it!
  • Richard Kain
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus wrote: »

I am too. But the Alien franchise has been a little tainted over the past few decades. There's been a lot of content produced for it across multiple mediums. But the results of those efforts have been...mixed. For any Alien project fans often feel like they are rolling the dice. It's kind of impossible to know just how excited you ought to be.

For that reason, I prefer to temper my enthusiasm. It's just better to keep my expectations realistic. I lose nothing from exercising a little caution. If the game ends up being disappointing, my personal disappointment is kept to reasonable levels. If the game ends up impressing, I get to be pleasantly surprised, and will enjoy the final product that much more.

I know the development team is completely different. (and thank goodness for that) And from everything I've heard so far they seem as though they have a really good handle on what they're doing. But once burned, twice shy.
  • Sugus
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    I am too. But the Alien franchise has been a little tainted over the past few decades. There's been a lot of content produced for it across multiple mediums. But the results of those efforts have been...mixed. For any Alien project fans often feel like they are rolling the dice. It's kind of impossible to know just how excited you ought to be.

For that reason, I prefer to temper my enthusiasm. It's just better to keep my expectations realistic. I lose nothing from exercising a little caution. If the game ends up being disappointing, my personal disappointment is kept to reasonable levels. If the game ends up impressing, I get to be pleasantly surprised, and will enjoy the final product that much more.

I know the development team is completely different. (and thank goodness for that) And from everything I've heard so far they seem as though they have a really good handle on what they're doing. But once burned, twice shy.

I absolutely see where you are coming from, and I understand your position. What i said was given from the perspective of someone who hasn't played any of the Alien games.

I guess when the game comes out it will speak by itself, but we can all agree it looks extremely promising :)
  • kernersvillan
    Offline / Send Message
    kernersvillan polycounter lvl 9
    Cannot wait for this game. Looks stunning!
  • skyline5gtr
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus wrote: »
    I really don't understand how anyone would be sceptical about this game based on another previous game which also has alien in the title, but developed by a complete different team.

I think i worry the most about SEGA not the Dev company itself. I feel Rome II was released way too soon cause SEGA needed money for this, that's my personal opinion. Rome 2 is now 10 patches in and siege AI still does not function, that is where my main worry comes from.

But is it fair to lump this game in with all bad CA & SEGA games of late. I'm, not sure but i know the average joe gamer is not going to care they will see CA and run or SEGA and run unless it gets great reviews.
  • ubeor
    That alien looks beautiful!!
  • Skinpop
    Offline / Send Message
    Skinpop polycounter lvl 9
    They need to remove the breathing and voice sounds for the player character. Always breaks immersion in first person games like this.
  • marks
  • Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    Removeth the 's' before http:

:)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flPGGJifNl4"]Alien: Isolation E3 2014 Trailer - YouTube[/ame]
  • marks
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    I actually tried that but it didn't work for me, maybe I just fail at web browsers or something lol
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    I have to say, for a suspense retro-style game, this is a half-action cliche trailer

Still hope the game is better directed
  • WarrenM
    AMAZING, holy shit...
  • mospheric
    Offline / Send Message
    mospheric polycounter lvl 11
    I've been watching this game for a while. Between this a Routine, I'm going to have my retro scifi fix :)
  • skyline5gtr
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good but im still worried about CA. So there is no combat at all in this? It's literally just running and hiding if i understand right ?
  • WarrenM
    That's good, IMO. The Alien is a killing machine and you should stand no chance against it. Avoidance is your only tool. Works for me.
  • skyline5gtr
    Offline / Send Message
    WarrenM wrote: »
    That's good, IMO. The Alien is a killing machine and you should stand no chance against it. Avoidance is your only tool. Works for me.

I think thats what hudson said .. 273ce8c99f971a4414b0212a17ca59598b19beef767f025ff24a41d57023ea89.jpg
  • ExcessiveZero
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    The disaster to me that CA did with rome 2 leaves me anxious about this, there has been nothing but bugs, poor UI design and shallow gameplay out of rome 2, which is so upsetting to me as its a game I have a bit of a fabled personal history with the Rome franchise in particular.

Now theres alien which is a film franchise I have loved, and i've enjoyed many alien and predator games in the past, but I dunno I am all rather timid given CA is involved.
  • Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    I played a demo of this at Rezzed, it was very tense but I was wondering how they'll make it work over severals hours. With the inclusion of some humans and androids it seems that will add some variety which I think is needed.

There were some interesting mechanics in it such as changing your focus. If you're holding the button for the motion tracker, you hold it up as expected, but it's out of focus. If you hold another button you focus on it, but the rest of your view goes out of focus, so it adds more tension.

I played on PC, but had to use an xbox controller (not my preferred method for FPS). I got killed once when I was trying to remember how to sprint and then I turned and the alien was suddenly on me and I nearly shat out a kidney.

I'm still a bit uncertain as to how they will make this work over a full game, but what I did play worked well in the short time I had with it.
  • skyline5gtr
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman wrote: »
    I played a demo of this at Rezzed, it was very tense but I was wondering how they'll make it work over severals hours. With the inclusion of some humans and androids it seems that will add some variety which I think is needed.

There were some interesting mechanics in it such as changing your focus. If you're holding the button for the motion tracker, you hold it up as expected, but it's out of focus. If you hold another button you focus on it, but the rest of your view goes out of focus, so it adds more tension.

I played on PC, but had to use an xbox controller (not my preferred method for FPS). I got killed once when I was trying to remember how to sprint and then I turned and the alien was suddenly on me and I nearly shat out a kidney.

I'm still a bit uncertain as to how they will make this work over a full game, but what I did play worked well in the short time I had with it.

That is what im worried about, seems like it would be cool for a level or two then get real boring real fast
  • Richard Kain
    Offline / Send Message
    That is what im worried about, seems like it would be cool for a level or two then get real boring real fast

I wouldn't mind at all if the game was exceptionally short. If they make it so that it is only five-six hours long for the main single-player campaign, I can live with that. I would rather a really solid but short experience to one that they tried to cram a lot of filler content into.

If they are able to deliver on the AI they are promising, it will also make it more entertaining to play through the game multiple times. Being able to have different experiences every time you play would increase the longevity, even if the story of the game is relatively brief.

Also, they have announced Occulus support for this title. Now my shorts will be well and truly damp. Hopefully we will see Morpheus support for the PS4 version as well. A tense title like this one would be perfect for nerve-wracking VR.
  • Baj Singh
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    The disaster to me that CA did with rome 2 leaves me anxious about this, there has been nothing but bugs, poor UI design and shallow gameplay out of rome 2, which is so upsetting to me as its a game I have a bit of a fabled personal history with the Rome franchise in particular.

Different team != Same game.
  • skyline5gtr
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh wrote: »
    Different team != Same game.

Unfortunately customers are not going to care , they will see CA and be afraid. You guys are double behind the 8 ball on this for the problems with Rome 2, and the plagued Aliens Franchise.

Even if the game turns out awesome that is a pretty big hump
  • Richard Kain
    Offline / Send Message
    You guys are double behind the 8 ball on this for the problems with Rome 2, and the plagued Aliens Franchise

Believe me, I know. If I'm not mistaken I've harped on this exact subject in this very thread. The Alien franchise in gaming has always been troubled, and extremely hit-or-miss. There are zero guarantees that this will be good, and I have been burnt many times before.

The one bright point for me is that the majority of positive news about this game hasn't been coming from the developer, but from outsiders who have played the game themselves. With Aliens: Colonial Marines, all the hype and positive buzz came from "demos" that were being run by the developers. No one really got hands-on time with that game until it came out. (and we all found out why) Isolation, even in its current state, has been shown around with actual gameplay. One of the big draws for this title seems to be the atmosphere and tension that it builds. That's exactly what I want out of a title like this.
  • Baj Singh
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    Unfortunately customers are not going to care , they will see CA and be afraid. You guys are double behind the 8 ball on this for the problems with Rome 2, and the plagued Aliens Franchise.

Even if the game turns out awesome that is a pretty big hump

I would agree, if the games were similar in terms of their gameplay and their primary audience. However, consider that Rome 2 (and the other Total War games) cater to a very specific audience and are pretty much PC-centric. Alien is catering to an entirely different audience, on a variety of platforms (A lot of those players probably don't even care or know who the developers are until the name comes up on the opening loading screen).

Apples and Oranges.
  • skyline5gtr
    Offline / Send Message
    That's not entirely true because i love both games. I have played Total War since very early on but i also play FPS, RTS, RPG everything really. They do not cater to a totally different audience but you right about the console, i think you will have much more leeway there since not many console gamers know of CA
  • Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    I have to say the whole thing felt very solid to me; art, mechanics etc. The main concern (as everyone seems to have) is trying to keep the hide and seek tension over the duration of a typical-length single player game. Some of that apprehension disippated for me when I read about the presence of some humans and androids to change things up a bit. And I expect if playing this with the Rift one's nerves may not last long enough for protracted play sessions hehe.

<fingers optimistically crossed>
  • Ark
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Pretty disappointing to see firearms in the game, removes all tension and fear you have once you're armed to the teeth.
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    they have said in interviews that the player will never get anything powerful enough to kill the alien though, so I dont think its gonna turn into a shooting gallery. Looks fucking awesome, the art is killer and the potential is great.

with the whole bitching about CA and the rome series......most of their target audience: console gamers where there is money to be made, probably have never heard of CA or played the rome games. I think the people who are worried about CA after rome 2 are such a small sub sect of gamers by comparison it doesn't matter.