Jelmer polycounter lvl 17
acaw.jpg

In the catagory Best Picture:
“Babel“
“The Departed“
“Letters from Iwo Jima“
“Little Miss Sunshine“
“The Queen“

I loved 'The Departed'. After seeing it I was hoping for it to be nomiated. As well I think it's time to award Martin Scorsese his first Oscar....A miracle he didn't get one earlier.

In the catagory Achievement in visual effects:
“Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest”
“Poseidon”
“Superman Returns”

Allthough my bets would be on Pirates for the Visual Effects oscar, It would be great to see Superman Returns claim it. 136 Visual Effects shots on Superman were done at the place I work right now, Frantic Films. Free champagne for the win! tongue.gif

Find the complete list here:
http://www.oscars.org/79academyawards/noms.html

Replies

• Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Where the f' is Children of Men!!?? frown.gif

Poseidon was craptacular.....ugh. Little Miss Sunshine for best picture? Give me a break...that movie was crap as well frown.gif

The academy be smokin' crack this year.
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Babel was the biggest pile of pretentious drivel I've ever layed eyes on. Worst movie of the year.

poop.gif
  • danr
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    surprised to see The Queen up there ... it could/should have been a tv drama on BBC1
  • Zcubed
    Offline / Send Message
    Zcubed polycounter lvl 18
    I haven't seen all of the nominated films, but The Departed was stellar. Easily one of the best movies I've seen in years. I can't believe Scorsese hasn't won one yet.
  • Luxury
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    I'm really surprised how many noms Pan's Labyrinth picked up. (6) Too bad it won't win a single one.
  • EarthQuake
    Yeah where the fuck is children of men? IMO probablly the only film i saw all year that is on the same level as the departed.
  • SkullboX
    Offline / Send Message
    SkullboX polycounter lvl 18
    I thought the Departed was a horrible film, as did my girlfriend and most of the people in the audience. I think it's crazy Scorsese has never won an oscar, but I don't think he should be getting one for this.

I did think Babel was an excellent film.
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, where is Children of Men? I thought that and Pan's Labyrinth were streets ahead of The Departed. Not that The Departed was a bad movie, it was just over-long and rather cheaply convoluted.
    Little Miss Sunshine was awesome though, I really enjoyed that one. Haven't seen The Queen, but from trailers/coverage it seemed a tad tame to be a full feature movie. I guess grandparents like the cinema too...
  • Striff
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    Gotta watch all those "Best Picture" nominies besides Little Miss Sunshine (Fantastic movie).

As for VFX I have seen Poseidon and Superman. Superman definatly gets my nod...the CGI with the rocks were just stunning.

Pan's should hands down win best forgein launguage film, make up, art direction and origional score.

Children of Men gets my vote for best cinemetography and screenplay.

Hope Happy Feet wins best Animated Feature. It was a great fun movie.
  • Vermeulen
    Offline / Send Message
    Vermeulen polycounter lvl 18
    Probably the reason Children of Men isn't on there is because of it's late release in America.

I really don't understand why the Queen is rated so highly, it was one of the most boring movies i've actually finished. It had no drama or point, I would have thought it would have just been some A/E made for TV movie like Ike.
    Babel was alright, but too much of a typical dramatic movie. And after I saw The Departed I really thought there was no question it would win, so I don't understand all these doubt.
  • Paul Jaquays
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Jaquays polycounter lvl 18
    Letters from Iwo Jima was rushed to the screen at the end of of 2006 to get in this year's Oscar running, so I'm not sure the "late release" is a valid reason for it's being overlooked. I've only seen "Little Miss Sunshine" on the Best Pictures list ... and while I enjoyed it immensely, it doesn't belong in that list.

My gripe: Leonardo Di Caprio for Best Actor in Blood Diamonds. His South African accent came and went as fast as Kevin Costner's British accent in Robin Hood year ago.