Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP_Face practice

I started to work on this 2d painting during my free time. Here's some working in progress images. I would like to get some feedback from other artist out there.

Thank you

HyODglF.jpg

IrOQgVb.jpg

Replies

• cgtest
  • cgtest
  • cgtest
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Hey Cgtest,

These are nice and focused, though they might still be biting off a bit too much atm. The structure of the faces and the value/colors feel a bit off, I did paintover of the first girl to illustrate what I mean:
    04-17_crit_02.jpg

Proportions:I adjusted some of the proportions of the head, placement of the facial features and such. The original didn't feel like the mouth or nose follows the curve of the face, which is important to get right. Also brought down the size of the hair, was a bit too big for my taste.

Lighting: I added in some cast shadow from the hair, and adjusted how the light on her face falls so it looks like it turns in space, rather than all being lit in almost the same value. I also added in bounce light to the bottom of the nose, mouth, and eye sockets.

Color: I bumped up the reds and yellows, gave her more of a natural skin tone.

Some of this is super quick, and I probably should have adjusted the neck shading more as I just brushed over it with a different color, not changing it much. But I hope you get the idea.

Here's a b+w gif that may show the changes I made better:
    04-17_crit_01.gif

Again, I hope all this helps, you aren't far off at all, it's just a few small things that are throwing it off. Keep it up! :)