Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

fantasy historical designy stuff. sketchbook!

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
lutzbot polycounter lvl 3
I'm gonna start posting some finished stuff in this thread, along with a bunch of process, sketches, the odd bits of 3d I churn out, and whatever happens to tumble out of my brain- feel free to critique or comment or give LA restaurant recommendations.

I started on this new project- I'm mashing up the 5th element with 16th century england into a game environment. I really like the kinetic vibe of the movie and the verticality of the city stuff they did, and I think I can get it to mix with the tudor architecture in a fun way. These are the first sketches -
RoMrIbZ.jpg
nITwL4x.jpg
ej50O4r.jpg

and some random doodling...
vwCGAS0.jpg

Replies

• curlyhair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    curlyhair polycounter lvl 3
    I really love the architecture sketches. First one is my favorite I think :) As critique - they are all symmetrical, I think you can break the symmetry occasionally to make them more interesting.And I love the creature with the hat :D I think he loves jazz hahaha
  • lutzbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @curlyhair thanks! sometime i need to scan all of my work scribbles. i've gotten into the bad habit of doodling faces all the time, but some of them are entertaining ;x

Here are a couple more images.. The first round didn't quite hit the mark- it's hard to push this sort of architecture; it's already so epic it really has to be layered on itself to achieve additional scale. Also a composition thumb- I think the final probably does end up looking something like this, but it's time to start thinking about narrative and gameplay a little more.

qIzFCmi.jpg
    dAkPajR.jpg
  • lutzbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's some more progress- I've laid out a drawing over a quick 3d model- trying to work out some compositional/narrative issues now before jumping into more paint. comments welcome
    qdicGuw.jpg
    2lc91L2.jpg

and here's a random page of clock-robot-scribbles and a homer copy
    xMAIZG8.jpg
    JvPn9Ra.jpg
    bam!
  • Lukitscherie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lukitscherie polycounter lvl 8
    Did you use your 3D model to make that last sketch or the other way around? :p
    You have a great mastery of perspective in your doodles, I'm a bit envious. I'm impatient to see the next step.
  • lutzbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Lukitscherie: I built the 3d model from the drawings in the second post, then surrounded it with those super simple box buildings to match a composition sketch that's so rough I might as well not post it. After rendering I dropped it to low opacity and drew over the thing. Here's something closer to a final, along with tonight's experimentation. Soon: variations and details!

edit: thought I might add- it was fun thinking about mini-stories for the people in the foreground. That shifty bastard on the left is a thief, eyeing the guy on the right's bag (he's a courier). Mr shifty doesn't realize that he himself is being followed by that little guy in the cloak. what a chump eh?
    lHO3Wsr.jpg
    w5PqSFY.jpg
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    really cool stuff! your building sketches look very feng zhu :)
  • lutzbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks!

here's more junk from today,... sketchbook scribbles and another experiment. With both this and the last paint sketch, I started with a 3 value comp, honing in on the shapes with just three shades of gray, then I multiplied on some colors and did a bit more drawing over it.. reasonably happy with the approach. I also started using abstract, very crisp stampy brushes with no settings- no scatter/transfer/shape dynamics, just stamping down triangles and squares and whatnot to build up a variety of 'rock'ish shapes with similar colors. The process needs a bit more work to be effective day to day, but is an interesting tool to have, and seems to lend itself to landscape.

X5ee8AS.jpg
    maa4YHM.jpg
  • lutzbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shippy housy things
    pWfqktM.jpg
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Nice job giving your designs a bit of character! I really like these last line drawings and the creature sketches before them!
  • lutzbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks!

Here's some more designy goof off stuff
    vmm5ZdQ.jpg
    Gh5fpBo.jpg