Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Two - A Concept Art Project

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
blue_skies polycounter lvl 4
Hello! I'm starting this thread as a place to show my progress as I start properly working on an idea that's been knocking around in my head for years but has never gotten the attention it deserved. Well, after years of drawing organic tribal stuff.. it's time for sci fi! This project is called Two. It is purely a work of love created on my own time, for my own enjoyment and practice.

I originally created the main character like... six years ago or something, so my first effort is a major redesign of her. I've amassed a ton of reference for the project so far, and I'm working to establish a general aesthetic in these concepts as much as the character's look. Some sort of mix of grungey goth dystopian sci fi... with glowy bits and see-through pieces. Woo!

Anyway, this isn't at all a final pass on her. Two is supposed to be a violent and impulsive character, and I don't feel that showing enough in her design yet. Also I still need to do her tattoo pass. ;)

16520769017_d877e4d9a7_b.jpg

16702151786_d1d16a9143_b.jpg

Replies

• blue_skies
    Offline / Send Message
    When I woke up this morning I had never drawn a motorcycle, let alone concepted my own. But now I have! :D

Looks a little too police-y right now.. may change up the colours for a darker look.

16816732351_df2e61b243_b.jpg
  • Avanthera
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Your character looks really nice, I like the design of the coat/hoodie/vest thing and her pants.

The motorcycle is interesting, reminds me of a judge dredd kind of vibe. It's just hard to imagine someone sitting and using it right now. The handlebars are really low, yet the seat extends so far back and I can't see where the feet go.

I tried drawing her in on two scales below, the top one looks right for the size of the bike, but she really wouldn't fit, her knees would have to be angled out and her arms are too long. The bottom one fits, but looks awkward in terms of scale, like a kid on his dads motorcycle.

This and This really illustrate the difference in an upright riding and low-down racing style, if you adjusted closer to one of these I think you bike will look much more believable.

03-14_Crit01.jpg

Maybe you already have it figured out, and I'm just not seeing it, but as it looks now I'm having trouble seeing someone fit onto that bike.

Hope all this helps!
  • blue_skies
    Offline / Send Message
    Excellent critique Avanthera, thanks! I think it will just be a few small tweaks to get it coming across the way I intended it... some changes to the seat shape and a general shrinkage of the bike overall, now that I'm looking at it again.

In the meantime... this!

16877278742_10b7d3f90e_b.jpg
  • blue_skies
    Offline / Send Message
    More Two character concepts. The first two are for Maria, Two's alternate universe counterpart and the reason that she's been pulled into this world.

Mar is a scientist in the upper levels of the Scientific Sector. She specializes in Neuro-Chemistry and the study of Alternate Realities, although she is extremely intelligent and familiar with many areas of study.
    Pregnant through in vitro fertilization performed by herself; her baby is essentially a scientific experiment of her own design.
    The government believes her baby to be a dangerous new Manifest and seeks to control the situation. Maria can be described as being highly intelligent, calculating, ruthless, selfish, possessing questionable ethics, physically defenseless, and cold.

20695343015_7d286e3c56_b.jpg

20695342745_c8481f7c9b_b.jpg

Secondly, some uniform concepts for Authority (government) employees. These ones are fairly general - I may do some more specific ones for different branches later.

20702126711_a9d8979d88_b.jpg

I've been spending a lot of time writing up a ton of details on the world Two over the past couple of months. It's a shame though because it's a lot of work that I can't really share just by posting, so I'll try to share bits and pieces when I post work.