Home Adobe Substance

Substance Designer - Master Thread

Replies

• voronov.art
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    voronov.art polycounter lvl 10
    Is there a way to tile whole substance without transform each texture? Right now I use Transformation 2D for each material input if I want to change tiling multiplier.
  • K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K polycounter lvl 9
    A couple of extreme close ups, and a wide view. Calling it done :).

39.png

37.png

38.png
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    voron3d wrote: »
    Is there a way to tile whole substance without transform each texture? Right now I use Transformation 2D for each material input if I want to change tiling multiplier.

In the 3D Viewport, go to Materials -> Default -> Edit Then in the 3D View menu, change your tiling amount.
  • K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K polycounter lvl 9
    Quack! wrote: »
    You can use the new bevel node in Substance Designer 5 to get angles that face a specific direction. With clever use of color picking and placing you can blend these colors at a very low opacity 1-5% and get nice, subtle angle variation in your normals.

If you design your node structure with 1 mask that generates most of the graph, this can be as simple as running a gradient map over your mask using various normal angle colors, then combine that back onto your normal map.

substance_slope.jpg

Using this, here is a practical example:
    substance_slope_practical.jpg
    Cool trick! Thanks for sharing :)
  • N83ds
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kay - Dat wood though!!! looks great!

Quack - great tip, and I am already thinking of great uses for it, thanks!

I updated the muddy ground, will be working on it more still, but this is where it sits right now..
    Still no photos or svg nodes used.
    CAkoGEBVIAAeyXY.jpg:large
    CAlelZKVIAA88WA.jpg:large

In the process of getting back some wetness from the 3rd itteration, and adding more grassy clumps/density.
  • voronov.art
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! wrote: »
    In the 3D Viewport, go to Materials -> Default -> Edit Then in the 3D View menu, change your tiling amount.

Thanks.
  • N83ds
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One more pass at the mud,
    CA0rGM_UYAAgd9u.jpg:large
    Let me know what you think,
  • K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K polycounter lvl 9
    Procedural wood with Substance Designer 5. Crosspost from here.

43.png
  • K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K polycounter lvl 9
    N83ds wrote: »
    One more pass at the mud,
    CA0rGM_UYAAgd9u.jpg:large
    Let me know what you think,

Very realistic! I would love to see some close ups as well if possible.

Only feedback that might be useful is that the stones might be a tad to bumpy. If you blend it with a blurred version of itself itll be a bit smoother in the normal map.

Cheers!
  • K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K polycounter lvl 9
    Another free substance. This time an alien looking material based on a reaction diffusion pattern.

Enjoy!

Get the files here.

01.png

03.png

Variation.png

Graph.PNG
  • kernersvillan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kernersvillan polycounter lvl 9
    Has anyone tried to do moss yet? I could get something decent in Fibermesh, but would love to try in SD, just trying to wrap my head around getting a fluffy type moss. Im a SD noob so any pointers would be much appreciated!
  • AdvisableRobin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AdvisableRobin polycounter lvl 10
    Some marble tiles I created today lunch crunching at work. The tile generator section of the graph was a bit sloppy, but I think I know a better way I could have done it.

@Kay I love the the wood, the little touch of worm patterns is really nice.

Hhy362W.png
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    @AdvisableRobin the cracked tiles almost make a checkered pattern, you might want to have some cluster cracks and spoke scattered ones, because right now it's a bit too uniform/patterned.
  • cgvinny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cgvinny polycounter lvl 9
    Has anyone tried to do moss yet? I could get something decent in Fibermesh, but would love to try in SD, just trying to wrap my head around getting a fluffy type moss. Im a SD noob so any pointers would be much appreciated!

you have a workflow explanation here (not only moss but still interesting :

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBw2VTBb3t4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBw2VTBb3t4[/ame]
  • K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K polycounter lvl 9
    Some marble tiles I created today lunch crunching at work. The tile generator section of the graph was a bit sloppy, but I think I know a better way I could have done it.

@Kay I love the the wood, the little touch of worm patterns is really nice.

Hhy362W.png
    Thanks!

Awesome tiles! The only feedback i can think of is perhaps having the material inside the chips and cracks a bit lighter? Like the tiles have an enamel on them, that has disspeared where the cracks are, and the underlying material can be seen (ceramic?).

The wear and pits look great!
  • Shriken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shriken polycounter lvl 11
    Question for all those substance gurus, I'm currently attempting to set up a large network with a lot of different materials turned on or off by switches. My problem lies in that substance will re-generate everything regardless of whether the switch is ignoring the input.

Is there any way around this or am I just going to have to limit how crazy I go with my graphs?
  • K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K polycounter lvl 9
    Hi Shriken,

I personally believe that the fewer nodes you use,t he faster it'll render, the easier it is to read (and if you want to change it in-engine with the substance plug-in for unity or unreal, fewer nodes will make it go faster I think).

If you are using several identical nodes, you might as well draw more lines from one, and delete the others. You will get spaghetti, but a bit more speed as well.
  • K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K polycounter lvl 9
    Another rotting wood. I like the pin-pricks where the termites burrowed into.

50.png
  • Shriken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • N83ds
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CA-7HfCUgAAsXcT.jpg:large

Think I am wrapping the mud up., ready to move onto the next material study. I might come back to the mud in the future, but for now....this is it.
    Enjoy
  • luthyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luthyn polycounter lvl 8
    Shriken wrote: »
    Hey thanks for the quick response. while I understand less nodes = better performance, I'm trying to get several full materials to be blended together and automatically turning themselves off when not needed. However it seems substance will always generate every node even when its been turned off later in the graph. I was wondering if there is a way to get around that or if I'm missing something :).

Hey Shriken,

Not sure about having a material not generate, I think that when you load a Substance it has to generate everything at least once.

However, some tips for making your graphs go faster (from my expierence):
    -When you are exposing controls, try and expose them a bit down the line. If you expose a control from one of your first nodes, Substance will need to re-generate not only that node, but every single one after it. If you expose a control from one of the later nodes, every node before it does not need to be re-generated.

-Work in greyscale for as long as possible. Greyscale nodes are generally twice as fast as RBG. Try and avoid switching back and forth from grey to RBG and back again.

-For some noises such as Perlin Noise or White Noise, you can get away with having their size be smaller at the start of your graph, then upresing through blend nodes later. This really depends on the graph and the node, and you have to be careful about how you are doing it, but it can shave off seconds here and there. Side note - never make a nodes size smaller than 32x32. The time it takes to compute a node smaller than that makes the downresing pointless.

-Stay away from the grunge noises! At least I do. They are AMAZING for learning how to achieve certain effects and can show you some really cool tricks, but these nodes are so expensive. If you have one that you really like, maybe try and recreate a cheaper version. Look and see what controls that node is giving you, and decide which ones you do and dont need.

So yea. Less nodes = better performance can be true, but you also need to be aware of how expensive the nodes that you are using tend to be. Two grunge noise nodes are going to take longer to compute than two white noise nodes. And as Kay mentioned, if you pull out a noise, reuse it as much as possible. Don't pull out multiple versions unless you need to make a big change to it.

Anyway, I hope that was somewhat helpful even if it didn't answer your original question :).
  • K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K polycounter lvl 9
    Some progress. I had to blend the normals for the wood and stucco separately. The normals for the wood were very shallow before. This looks a bit more balanced.

Crosspost from here.

52.png
  • K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K polycounter lvl 9
    Last one for the day. Working on a nasty arterial spray/gush decal. Watching Dexter helped haha.

54.png
  • N83ds
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    joel-azzopardi-mosaicwood.jpg?1427447164
    Worked on this Mosaic wooden floor last few days.|

Sick tiles AdvisableRobin, I'm really digging your choice of colors there.
  • Dave3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave3d polycounter lvl 8
    love that floor Fwap!

I have Been learning substance designer over the last month and I'm addicted to it :D
    Heres a couple of ground textures I made:
    zQ8dIBh.jpg
  • AdvisableRobin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AdvisableRobin polycounter lvl 10
    Small update on my tiles, decided to tweak it around, no pictures until I get off from work. I upgraded to Substance 5.0.2 and the way I was generating my tiles exploded because the Edge Detect node got changed so it now will detect edges that go off the canvas...not sure if there is a way to change that, until then I hacked something sloppy together to keep everything pretty.

@Kay I cranked up the chip color, it definitely gives it some more depth to it, thanks!

@ZacD thats funny you should mention that, turns out my random mask I was using in the tile generator got turned to checker pattern without me knowing it. Still working on some micro cracks, haven't gotten around to figuring that one out.

@Fwap thanks man, I've got a small crit for you. I don't know if this is intended but if you see the wood grain kinda tiles itself across the different pieces of wood.

A sneaky fix for this is if you feed the grain texture into a directional warp and then set the warp input to a mask of the tiles, you just need to set the levels on the tiles so there aren't any gradients in color, its black or white. Then just overcrank the value to like 1000 and tweak it down from there.
  • cgvinny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A WIP Mountain maker directly inside Substance.
    Hope you like it :-)

MountainPainter.gif

MountainPainterSea.gif
  • Shriken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cgvinny wrote: »
    A WIP Mountain maker directly inside Substance.
    Hope you like it :-)

MountainPainter.gif

MountainPainterSea.gif

This is extremely cool, will you be sharing how you've achieved some of it :)?

@luthyn : thanks for the tips! I found a small section of the substance documentation that listed my problem as a "known issue" so I presume there is nothing I can do unfortunately.
  • K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K polycounter lvl 9
    Enough practice for the day. (Had a day off :) ).

This will be a new free substance on my blog when its done.

Have a good weekend guys :).

01.png
  • cgvinny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shriken wrote: »
    This is extremely cool, will you be sharing how you've achieved some of it :)?

Thanks a lot ! :)

Yes : I am planning to make some tutos about terrain generation in a near future ;-)
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    My first completed substance. Inspired by Bio Shock

BioShock_Tile.jpg
  • ansh0488
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ansh0488 polycounter lvl 11
    Crosspost from my thread : http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120358

"So, finally started with substance designer. Made a basic brick tile texture, inspired from The Order's artwork. Here's the screenshot, along with a very unorganized substance graph. Have to be more organized from next time."

BOv0uUa.jpg
  • Phoenix995
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phoenix995 polycounter
    i have got a question
    how do i render big picters out of the viewport? dont jst screenshots...

is there any way to do that?

thank you in advance
  • cgvinny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phoenix995 wrote: »
    i have got a question
    how do i render big picters out of the viewport? dont jst screenshots...

is there any way to do that?

thank you in advance

You can do view/save image, but sadly, it will be at the resolution of the viewport.
    (One of most requested feature I guess :-))
  • Phoenix995
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phoenix995 polycounter
    thank you for the answer
  • Phoenix995
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phoenix995 polycounter
    i found a way to get double full hd render out of there :)

when you put your monitors like that you can expand the viewportwindow all the way and get double full hd resolution :)
    dls58h.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    You can set your display resolution to 2560x1440 or 4k in your graphics driver settings, it's pretty easy to do with the Nvidia control panel.
  • Phoenix995
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phoenix995 polycounter
    i cant do that ^^
  • ZacD
  • cgvinny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I have finally started my SD5 "Terrain maker" tutorials serie !
    You can find the playlist here (I'all add the videos progressively):

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQ6wUoAdU6tflgyPtJxkvGfRiQowprIKp

And here is the first 2 videos :

The introduction :
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u8abopTIVM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u8abopTIVM[/ame]

The mountain painter part 01
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yptlGgBXO0U"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yptlGgBXO0U[/ame]
  • SP3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SP3 polycounter lvl 10
    Hey guys, I just started learning Substance Designer and I'm in love with it. This is my 1st substance texture. I would appreciate any feedback or critiques.

16799896879_217ccf9a28_k.jpg
  • sonictk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick questions, haven't touched SD in a while (like 2 years ago in fact!), but I'm finally starting to give it another shot:

- is there a node reference documentation anywhere?
    - is there any way I can move a node and its parent/child nodes without having to use frames? (this seems ridiculous that such a basic UI feature STILL doesn't exist after all this time..)
    - What on earth are the pbr_base_material nodes etc. for? Do they actually have any use other than acting as a fancy way to connect to output nodes? So far I'd had nothing but frustration with trying to use them (normal combine node doesn't work with them for some reason)
    - Can nodes be enabled/disabled/set to inactive? (i.e. Nuke/XSI ICE-style)
    - Can I flat-out standardize that a substance will generate all maps in openGL/DX format instead of being able to tweak some nodes to be one, and the rest to be another?
    - What do dotted yellow lines mean as connections?

Thanks!
  • K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K polycounter lvl 9
    SP3 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I just started learning Substance Designer and I'm in love with it. This is my 1st substance texture. I would appreciate any feedback or critiques.

16799896879_217ccf9a28_k.jpg

Hi Simon,

That looks neat already. What you might want to tweak a bit is the cracks. Some start/end in the middle of the tiles, and I haven't seen that effect in real life (yet? :P).

What you could also add is some grout/dust in between the tiles. If it is a ceramic, you could even make lower the toughness on the intact parts to make it a bit shinier, but that might just be my preference.

You're off to a good start already :).
  • cgvinny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K polycounter lvl 9
    Small updates to my dungeon wall:

57.png

Once I can get Marmoset Toolbag I can show the heightmap a bit better.
  • voronov.art
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How to make a clean corner cut on some of bricks if I use Brick Generator? Is it possible with Tile Generator?
  • rebb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb polycounter lvl 17
    So i'm a giant noob at this.

Is it at all possible to expose FX-Map Variables in some way ?

I kept trying to expose a Quadrant's Color setting, and it gives me the option to choose a name for it, but where does this actually end up ?
    It doesn't become visible in the FXMap property tab at least, nor does it show in the list of exposables when using "Expose Parameters".

Maybe i'm overlooking something obvious ?
  • Caser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Caser polycounter lvl 10
    WIP dead grass substance. I could use it to do a fur material instead...
    Anyway, I'm happy with it, because I finally understood how to work with Fx-Map. Yaaay

ca3XBhW.jpg
  • mattyinthesun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mattyinthesun polycounter lvl 4
    I have been working on this brick wall substance over the last couple of days - 100% procedural, no input images. Just a height and normal so far - the height is really for the brick extrusions and some of the larger grout patterns, and the normal does the smaller surface details. I find I get a better image that way than just bunging it all in to the height map. (flat plane as base geo, rendered in Corona for 3DSMax). Going to be working on the diffuse channel in the next day or so.

brick_wall_render006.jpg