Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sword - Dream Reaper

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Marcus_Aseth polycounter lvl 9
Hi guys,I'm working on a sword to import into skyrim & to put into my portfolio :)
I set my budget between 10-12k tris (so I could take som nice closeup screen keeping a smoothed silouette as well) & below how it is proceeding.

I started with a rough sketch,then blockout in max then into Zbrush (runes alphas done in PS),here the blade

33707271.png

Then some more detail on the handle (orange strips done in Topogun+max)

39327344.png

& then the sheath

87375787.png

then I've imported the decimated version into 3ds to run some tests with a rough glow,to preview a bit where I am going with it
38374998.png

& now I'm doing the low poly,this night I will do the blade & sheath so tomorrow I should have the low poly with normal & ao :)

66901586.png

Replies

• Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Looks awesome so far.

The red strips on the grip don't really make sense to me though.
    And you could have added some wear to the edges.

Keep up the good work, looking forward to seeing the final version.
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you komaokc,let me explain those strips,as you see in this old overpaint http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/5472/45214169.png I was going to make 2 strips hanging from the handle with some kind of ornament in the end,cause I tought it was cool to see those slowly moving to the wind,but if I got it right,skyrim doesn't have a way to have a physic simulation & have those strips controlled by havok or something like that,so I didn't make those & the strips around the handle is what is left :(
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Ah, that's a shame, that would've looked awesome.
    I'm sure you can still make it look good though.
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys,didn't have time to continue it,only done the blade but only the sheath left before the texturing, & here it comes my dilemma & question for you guys: should I use handpaint work for the texture in this piece (keeping in mind that it will go into skyrim)? or it should be done all trough photo textures in PS? I quickly overpainted a little bit the handle below trying to visualize how it would look 100% handpaint,but I got for example that fake illumination/shading that maybe would look weird with dynamics light & stuff,am I right? is just that I found so much more fun by handpainting so I am trying to figure out if there is room to fit it in this texturing without making my weapon look totaly out of place in skyrim world & if yes in what percentage :poly122:

57862233.png
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    done with the bakes,ready for the textures :)

dreamreaper.png
  • Roninfang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Roninfang polycounter lvl 11
    "Hi guys,I'm working on a sword to import into skyrim" XD i have skyrim installed in my pc, ive been wondering that how do i bring my 3d into the game XD
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @roninfang: you need the plug-in to import/export .nif files for 3ds,you need the fallout mod manager to open the .bsa package of skyrim & you need nifscope to works with the .nif,that's pretty much all.
    on youtube there are many video about :)

btw,here the unwrap of the sword.
    wire1r.jpg
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    managed to import it in-game (only the blade,not the scabbard),now time for textures :)

12254184.png
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guy,I start by putting flat colors in different combination,trying to decide with color scheme should I use for it,can you tell me your thoughts about?

41549838.png
  • KarlWrang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KarlWrang polycounter lvl 6
    Wow, Looks great! :)
    It's probably a tie between Royal Guard and Paladin for me.
    But the Royal Hunter is also pretty awesome.. :poly136:
  • toolpaddz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toolpaddz polycounter lvl 10
    the black/gold combination of royal guard and dream, I'd say. Apart from that: isn't it a bit highpoly for a sword? You could at least have removed the strip on the handle. As it doesn't change the silhouette noticeably it would have been easy to just bake it. Also, there's a lot of wasted polies on the curvature of the blade/scabbard.
  • Skummel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very cool design!

I'd go, my top 3 picks in order would be:
    Royal Guard
    Night Shade
    Paladin