Home Technical Talk

Spiral/Cord Unwrap Help

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
Hey all, I'm having a really hard time figuring out how to unwrap this and was hoping someone could provide another method or idea. So far ive tried to select 1 edge as the seam and pelt map but with all the swirls it goes crazy and cannot straighten them.

Thanks guys

Replies

• Vailias
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    first: check to see if it has decent UV's already.
    Depending on how you made that there may be a "generate uv coords" option that was checked.

if not: apply a planar map, do the 1 edge seam thing, but break the edge in the UV's and don't try and pelt map it. Also make sure to seam off the end caps if you have them.
    Once you have that mapped and the UV seam, then just use the normal relax stuff in max's uv editor. It might take a few goes, and you may have to fiddle with some problematic areas (ie just select verts in one region or another and relax separately), but that should get you a decently flat map.
  • skyline5gtr
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias wrote: »
    first: check to see if it has decent UV's already.
    Depending on how you made that there may be a "generate uv coords" option that was checked.

if not: apply a planar map, do the 1 edge seam thing, but break the edge in the UV's and don't try and pelt map it. Also make sure to seam off the end caps if you have them.
    Once you have that mapped and the UV seam, then just use the normal relax stuff in max's uv editor. It might take a few goes, and you may have to fiddle with some problematic areas (ie just select verts in one region or another and relax separately), but that should get you a decently flat map.

I created the object by creating a helix spline - then 2 additional splines joined the shape and converting to editable poly.
  • Popeye9
    Offline / Send Message
    Popeye9 polycounter lvl 15
    I have had good luck with using spline mapping on these types of shapes. The help file explains it really well.
  • skyline5gtr
    Offline / Send Message
    Popeye9 wrote: »
    I have had good luck with using spline mapping on these types of shapes. The help file explains it really well.

never heard of will take a look thanks !
  • skyline5gtr
    Offline / Send Message
    I already collapsed the mesh to editable poly, so its asking me to select a spline i cannot :-(
  • imperator_dk
    Offline / Send Message
    imperator_dk polycounter lvl 10
    Alternatively :

Select an edge loop running throughout the mesh, right click -> create shape.

You now have a spline in your scene following the path of your wire.

Apply a Unwrap UVW modifier to your object. Enter Polygon mode and under wrap mode choose spline mapping and select your created spline.

3dsmax will now do a cylindrical unwrap based on the provided spline.
  • skyline5gtr
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok tried the spline mapping with imperators help, when i select the spline this is what happens lol
  • imperator_dk
    Offline / Send Message
    Try to reset xform on your mesh.
  • skyline5gtr
    Offline / Send Message
    That was the first thing i tried :-(
  • skyline5gtr
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe its because im using a spline that is not the mesh ?
  • imperator_dk
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyways alternatively you can select the spline you created from the loop, enable viewport rendering, adjust its thickness and number of sides and check generate mapping coordinates. Then you can convert it to poly and have a nicely unwrapped mesh.
  • skyline5gtr
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyways alternatively you can select the spline you created from the loop, enable viewport rendering, adjust its thickness and number of sides and check generate mapping coordinates. Then you can convert it to poly and have a nicely unwrapped mesh.

Since its a spiral or helix the edge loop never stays the same and spins around so its not the same shape , damn didnt think this would be this hard hmm
  • imperator_dk
    Offline / Send Message
    make a clone of your mesh, apply a negative push modifier that way you can push the mesh to be ultra thin string at the center of your cylinder.... then make the spline using an edge loop, now you have a spline running at the center of your old cylinder.
  • skyline5gtr
    Offline / Send Message
    I used a combo of everyones comments, thanks guys was invaluable would have taken forever otherwise