Home General Discussion

Advice on resume writing

ScottHoneycutt
polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
ScottHoneycutt polycounter lvl 14
What advice might you have for someone's resume without game experience? I understand having your name, job you are looking for, email address, portfolio link, software knowledge, education, etc. The real question I have is about filling in the rest of the space without sounding like you don't belong. I have a paragraph in mine that roughly states:

"Most of my time at "John Doe Advertising" involved 3d modeling and animation of products to set client’s businesses above their competition. I have also performed graphic designs and layouts, illustrations, video editing, flash animations, and basic HTML. Though I may not have game development experience, my time in advertising was spent dealing with sales reps, printers, evaluating printer proofs, working with a team of multiple artists, editors and last minute rush jobs. This has provided me real world experience in a team environment.

My knowledge includes low and high poly 3d modeling, tri-count optimization, UV layouts, normal map baking, smoothing groups, texture painting, physically based material creation with albedo, roughness and metalness in Unreal 4, lighting, etc."

This is after a list of non-game jobs I've had. Thoughts? Thanks.

Replies

• Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    read everyone of your statements and ask yourself "like what?" and then explain how this can contribute to your work as game artist.

Example: "his has provided me real world experience in a team environment." like what? -> mentoring other team members, following and adhering to team wide standards, etc. -> Is this something desirable in games? -> Yes. helping each other and learning from each other is important. So is sticking to specs.

Try to analyze every statement you make in this fashion to extract some more specific information about usefull skills you gained.

Avoid blanked statements like "team player" Nowadays, who doesn't call themselves a team player?? Instead give an example how you fit in, how you made your team better, how you accomplished something together, how you contributed!

These extra skills will not trump your folio, but they may give you an edge over people who don't have them, or who cannot communicate them in their resume.
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm wrote: »
    read everyone of your statements and ask yourself "like what?" and then explain how this can contribute to your work as game artist.

Example: "his has provided me real world experience in a team environment." like what? -> mentoring other team members, following and adhering to team wide standards, etc. -> Is this something desirable in games? -> Yes. helping each other and learning from each other is important. So is sticking to specs.

Try to analyze every statement you make in this fashion to extract some more specific information about usefull skills you gained.

Avoid blanked statements like "team player" Nowadays, who doesn't call themselves a team player?? Instead give an example how you fit in, how you made your team better, how you accomplished something together, how you contributed!

These extra skills will not trump your folio, but they may give you an edge over people who don't have them, or who cannot communicate them in their resume.

Sounds like good advice. Thanks.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Kwramm has great advice. Also don't over fluff your resume and be prepared for an interviewer to ask you about any line in your resume.
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. Here's my new skill section :

•Overcoming tight and unexpected deadlines
    •Embracing creative direction and following team-wide standards
    •Engaging in constructive critique between fellow artists for the benefit of the team
    •Performing constant, last minute and challenging art changes based on the project’s needs
    •Clear verbal and written communication, both within and outside of the art team. This includes knowing the what, when, how and why of each job given to me before I begin.
    •Utilizing my artistic eyes and studying references for accurate detail and definition

•Developing sculpts, high poly and low poly 3d models with tri-count optimization
    •Designing efficient UV layouts with effective smoothing groups, for clean normal map bakes, without the need to paint out errors
    •Painting textures and materials in 2d and 3d applications with next gen software.
    •Building physically based rendering setups with albedo, roughness and metalness
    •Arranging dynamic lighting setups
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Looks much better! Don't be afraid to use some industry lingo and drop names of tools. HR might look for certain keywords (e.g. PBR) or tools (e.g. dDo, Mudbox, Substance, etc). Actually I do too :)

As newbie I would avoid vagueness my your resume.
    If you're vague you're not committing yourself, you keep your options open (which makes sense). This works if your kickass reel is the entry ticket to the interview. Then we just invite you because of that reel. And even if you don't have the right skills, we cut you some slack, because we're really just more interested in your talent than anything else! (but many newbies aren't like that)

What if your reel is just solid standard (compared to other candidates or peers)? Then I see a guy who's got a standard reel and who cannot really describe well what he is actually doing. To find out more I would have to call you, set up an interview. But since the resume is vague I cannot gauge if you're actually who we're looking for, and if I'm not wasting 30 - 60 minutes of time. If I'm busy with production I just may move on to the next guy who gives me a more precise picture of himself, where I can make a better call if I should spend time with an interview.

Unless you're kickass, the thing I'm interested is: can I place you into our current production? Will you fit in with tools and techniques and how long will it take you to be up to speed.

Another tip: if you say stuff like "arranging dynamic lighting setups" then I really LOVE to see this somewhere in the reel. i.e. your reel backs up the claims of your resume. This makes you much more believable as applicant!
  • Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    I have is about filling in the rest of the space without sounding like you don't belong. I have a paragraph in mine that roughly states:

You really shouldn't have a paragraph of any sort in your resume. That's what a cover letter is for. Keep the resume to a nice, clean list of what you can and have done.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Meloncov wrote: »
    You really shouldn't have a paragraph of any sort in your resume. That's what a cover letter is for. Keep the resume to a nice, clean list of what you can and have done.

true. I like a good cover letter, but they do end up getting lost (depending on your HR ;) ) and all the art directors may get is the resume. And if the resume alone doesn't do a good job explaining... but yes, keep it short and to the point!
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I have a related unrelated question.

I have no directly related 3d work experience. Should I include them in the Resume anyway. Or just post link to my LinkedIn profile instead ??
    I doubt my experience as a ballroom instructor or retail worker gonna impress them. The closest thing to game jobs I have; are web developer intern :( and Facebook games QA Localization.

What do you think ??
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    PyrZern wrote: »
    I have a related unrelated question.

I have no directly related 3d work experience. Should I include them in the Resume anyway. Or just post link to my LinkedIn profile instead ??
    I doubt my experience as a ballroom instructor or retail worker gonna impress them. The closest thing to game jobs I have; are web developer intern :( and Facebook games QA Localization.

What do you think ??

I'd list the work experience. That at least shows you can hold on to a job. Once you had at least one longer lasting 3D job remove the older jobs. Unless they add something to the big picture: e.g. you trained people, you supervised them, you did something managerial that hints at independence and organization skills. Many bosses like employees who don't need to be baby-sitted, who can manage their time and are independent. This gives your boss more time to do what really matters, like ensuring the work is distributed properly.

Example: we once interviewed a guy who worked as project manager before. This was interesting, because we have people who can talk to programmers, but we never really had anyone who can talk about art issues to producer types and explain it all in producer terms.

But in your situation I would really rely on other things to get the job than the resume: polished folio, excellent presentation, having a reel breakdown (many people do not!), etc. Something that shows you care about your work and about getting the job, and that you'll go the extra mile. next to pure art awesomeness, presentation is what can achieve this!

however strike a balance, your presentation should never compete for attention with your art. it should, instead help to present it the best way possible. e.g. clear labeling, clear organization, clear navigation (on a website), good grammar and spelling, being concise and the the point, giving enough background info about the art pieces (software, engine, personal/professional, etc.). I guess just follow Jon Jones' advice about folios.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ohh, where would be the best place on Resume to include stuff like online challenge ?
    ANd, yes, I have trained other ballroom instructor trainees :)
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, keep it short, focused, and for the love of everything, proof read it!

Spelling errors are a BAD sign, they suggest the applicant isn't thorough enough and nobody wants to spend time hunting issues in assets.

Whenever a studio's hiring, the leads are probably super busy already (that's why they need more manpower). Reading through super long resumes won't get them much; so the shorter and focused, the better.

Most important is the portfolio. Three good pieces of work are all you need IMHO.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Should I link out to those online challenges from the resume ? Or just names will do ?
    (Note, they are not displayed on my folio... not among my best 5)
    Though I could link them to my ArtStation instead.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I would just link those on a portfolio and NOT a resume if you can help it. it just looks weird if it's not work, school, or a paper certificate.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    On a similar note, how's this for a cover letter:

"Hello my name is Scott Honeycutt and I’m applying for an entry level environment artist position at EA games and its subsidiaries. I can’t tell you how excited I am about this opportunity to communicate with you and be considered for a job. My experience as a 3d artist has been with part-time and contract jobs in the advertising industry, while my goals are set clearly on a career in game development. I engage myself everyday in enthusiastic development of my art skills to someday work in the industry as an environment artist. EA has a proven track record of success in game development and I would love to be a part of it.

If given the chance, you will find that I am the perfect artist for the job because of
    my great attitude, willingness to learn, passion for success, ability to give and take direction on a team, clear communication verbally and in writing, along with rapidly developing art skills. Please send me an email at scottmichael28@gmail.com or call me at xxx-xxx-xxxx to discuss my qualifications. Thank you and have a great day!

Sincerely,

Scott Honeycutt"

- I use this a base and change out parts of the first paragraph for each company. The parts that change are the ones I end up dealing with spelling errors and such.
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    i personally avoid cover letters.

but when i am sending an email to a company, i just have "hi, my name is bla bla, i have this much experience doing this, and i am applying for that position. my portfolio is blabla.com regards, bla bla.".

in my opinion, its about art, not what you write in your cover letter. so you'd be wasting your time trying to impress someone with your cover letter.

keep it simple, your name, where you are from, what do you do, what would you like to do, attach your cv and link to your website. that's it.

"my great attitude, willingness to learn, passion for success, ability to give and take direction on a team, clear communication verbally and in writing, along with rapidly developing art skills."

everyone has that, everyone is willing to learn, everyone wants success and everyone's skills are developing. take it out.

good luck.

and Pyr,

your one page resume looks really nice, mine's a fucking mess. i'd take out participating in challenges. and i would replace Different modeling techniques; digital sculpting, hard-surface modeling, box modeling with 3D Modeling and Digital Sculpting.

everything else looks real nice.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really hate cover letter :( It's, like, total BS(that is mostly true. still BS, though). It's like watching weekly tv show or anime and the episode is a filler. I read that some HR just throw the whole thing away if a cover letter is not included. Unless the company is famous like Blizzard and a few others, it's pointless to say it's your dream to work there.

@rino, thanks man!! I'mma work on that.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    PyrZern wrote: »
    I really hate cover letter :( It's, like, total BS(that is mostly true. still BS, though). It's like watching weekly tv show or anime and the episode is a filler. I read that some HR just throw the whole thing away if a cover letter is not included. Unless the company is famous like Blizzard and a few others, it's pointless to say it's your dream to work there.

@rino, thanks man!! I'mma work on that.

Then just don't write cover letters like that. At least I know where my company stands in the big picture, and while everyone likes some flattery, it becomes very obvious when it's over the top and artificial. i.e. I know we have some interesting projects why people may want to join us, but I also know we ain't Blizzard. So keep it honest and believable.

If your resume is a bullet point graveyard, then use the cover letter to show us that you can make full sentences and know how to communicate! Eventually you'll have to work with other people and talk to them :)

If your resume is full of bullet points, then there MUST be something that's been hard to explain in just bullet points. Or something that needs some background info. Use the cover letter to fill it in! For example any challenges in your last gig that you overcame and which show growth. Or skills and knowledge you want to pick up while working for us (now that's a subtle and nice way of flattery - and it shows you're thinking ahead!) Or outline the biggest project you worked, how you fit in, what your role was and how you contributed (can even be a college project) and why we want you because of that! (and unlike the resume you can add some detail because you're not limited to a few bullet points).

But in the end, keep it short and sweet. Better write too little than too much - rambling cover letters ain't fun either.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'd just make a generic cover letter.

I'd love to work for your company
    Here's what I like about the studio
    Here's why I'd be a great match
    And he's what I have to offer the team

You can make it a bit modular and swap out parts that don't fit some studios.

Like "I've enjoy playing your games since I was a kid", or "I still enjoy the depth and art direction in blah blah studio's games."

And stuff about "I'd love to work at your studio because the small studio feel, and I'm a generalist that could help fill many roles" or "I'd love to work at your large studio, being surrounded by some of the greatest artists in the industry is a goal of mine."

Obviously don't phrase it like, but keep chunks relevant to multiple studios and only add in a few lines of flair and specifics. Just enough to show that you are interested in that studio, and you know what they do and you did a bit of research.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    blazed wrote: »
    In most cases they already know exactly who they want for the role

I think it depends a lot on the role and the company's idea about it how much weight they give your resume and cover letter. I.e. if you ramp up for a huge production with dozens of artists, then the folio probably counts most. If you recruit for a small team then other skills than just pure art skills will be important. Same thing for lead vs. grunt. Modeler vs. tech artist, etc.

On top of that you have each studio's philosophy how they see employees. Do you hire "expendable" people which you can quickly replace? Or do you care for a good fit for a long term engagement? Do you see people as resources or investment?
  • dominicwanliss
    Everyone is giving very useful advice for making resume effective. Thanks to all it help me a lot.
    bonus