Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Kramolnik
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    riuthamus wrote: »
    How do you get it to show up in game? I have seen the alien swarm stuff but as of late I have seen more and more people actually showing their models off in game, as well as the ability to choose their animations and such. Is this only done once you submit the model? Or is there a way to view the stuff before you submit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Tazieyf-wQ

They have an ingame importer that takes .fbx and .smds, so you can just import it using that, then grab the exported files and overwrite a courier to view them in game.

You can test stuff in the importer without submitting it, its the step after you view it like in that video. If everything looks good, then you can submit it.
  • riuthamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    riuthamus polycounter lvl 11
    Thank you andrew. I have been racking my brain but didnt want to hit submit models to view it and then be stuck submitting sub par work.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does anyone know if/how we can export head morphs for items? I've been poking around in the .vpks and decompiling models, but nothing jumps out at me as to how they actually function in the game files. Unless the mdl decompiler doesn't support these and skips over them?

edit: I've no internet at home for a while, just trying to get whatever model work done that I can.

Inspiring stuff all around, too!
  • warxsnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warxsnake polycounter lvl 8
    Can anybody help me, sorry the amount of places to check is overwhelming and i cant find a specific tutorial for the steps on creating a courier.
    Mainly the animation, rigging, and export parts.
    People talk about a Valve doc listing all the anims required but I cant find it :S
  • DashXero
  • TommyTehZombie
    Started working on a Drow set, crits welcome.

fZecl2D.jpg
  • Chaemirix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chaemirix polycounter lvl 10
    Hmmm. Is the best model for Pugna missing for other people too if you download it from the workshop? Or is it just my Maya messing up?
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    Too much awesome to comment on individually in this thread, keep it up guys, always a pleasure to browse through :)
  • K-PAX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K-PAX polycounter lvl 7
    Kramolnik wrote: »

the weapon is amazing,it's looks very sharp~
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    VzWixZV.png
    Rubick mask
    might change the hood trim so it's white
    EDIT:
    UBw1zwv.png
    texture update
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Sparr: Its just under 3,500 tris. Lod1 is 3,000.

Finished my windrunner highpoly. Got some complaints that the hair looks like miranas, but I don't care. I love poofy curls :3

High.jpg
  • uberphoenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uberphoenix polycounter lvl 8
    Hi guys,

I downloaded Razor's model from the requirements page and imported him into max, although I'm not sure how to see the normal map in max? I've never dabbled with shaders or lighting before so I have no idea how to go about this. Does anyone also know which maps channel i should add mask1 and mask2 to? as each of razor's textures has 4 layers to them.

25vbS

here's what I have atm

My main reason for this, is to see how they sort of sculpted razor's model so I can try to stay towards the theme they had going since we can't change razor's body textures.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Bump set 100, click, add normal map, then add your mask. You may need to flip Y channel (green) if the normals look weird.

Then you need to enable hardware shading, The cherker icon witht he lightbulb needs to be pink.
  • Asi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asi
    Hey guys aht do you think about light themed set for mirana, it doesn't fit the lore of the moon...but I want to try this, does this makes any sense?
  • marul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7
    @uberphoenix: You can't use mask1 and mask2 directly in 3dmax, you need to separate the channels first. Just give the material some specular and use normal map, it should give you an idea.

If you feel you need to use all the masks, there is a dota2 shader being developed for that job, you can search the forums.
  • Zhaie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparr: Its just under 3,500 tris. Lod1 is 3,000.

Finished my windrunner highpoly. Got some complaints that the hair looks like miranas, but I don't care. I love poofy curls :3

High.jpg

I Love her hair !

An i realy like your work Anuxinamoon. I take a look on your Deviant art / website. It's realy great :) Contratzzzz !
  • Gartean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi there guys,im pretty new to the forum so i dont know if this should be posted here.

i've been creating a shoulderpad for skeleton king following Lennyagony's awesome guide for creating a weapon for pudge and got to the point where i could import it into the game(with shitty textures,just to test it),however,even if i resetted the xform,the pivot point and the model was as big as it had to be in 3ds,it looks tiny in dota2 ( http://i49.tinypic.com/8x4up2.jpg)

any idea on how to fix it? :(
  • marul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7
    Gartean wrote: »
    hi there guys,im pretty new to the forum so i dont know if this should be posted here.

i've been creating a shoulderpad for skeleton king following Lennyagony's awesome guide for creating a weapon for pudge and got to the point where i could import it into the game(with shitty textures,just to test it),however,even if i resetted the xform,the pivot point and the model was as big as it had to be in 3ds,it looks tiny in dota2 ( http://i49.tinypic.com/8x4up2.jpg)

Did you check your units? This could be a problem because of inch to meter conversion.
  • DeSeRT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This if my final sword for Sven, what do you think? do i should improve it? I'm new in this kind of stuff drawing game...

http://postimage.org/image/n87vyd3j3/

And this is the website within steam

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=128240357
  • DeSeRT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm pretty new in this kind of modelling stuff and this is my first model for sven, what do you think?

http://postimage.org/image/n87vyd3j3/

steam website: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=128240357
  • Gamer_Alien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    all these awesome models ! makes me see how low i actually am in modeling !

guys , i've got a problem :

how do i get a lightmap using xNormal or similar method ? my high poly mesh isnt uv'ed so i cant use it to render a lightmap , and projection modifier (max ) is giving me a ton of bad ray hits ( cause my mesh is generally screwy).

OR

how can i get smoothing groops in zbrush , so that i can import an already-uv'ed object to zbrush and then sculpt , use multi-map exporter to export the maps instead of xNormal ?
  • arkrage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some questions here ^^ :
    Hi there ... kind of new around here, just saw the dota 2 workshop like two days ago and tried to give it a spin.
    I kind of tried to make a riki knife, the model actually wen pretty well

24mi9op.png

But I kind of ran into some questions...
    1st one is just a question : on the requirements I see that my model actually needs all the maps to 128:256 but their maps (the maps I get when I download their original file) are all 512:1024 ... Now can I also use a 512:1024 map ? ...
    2nd one is :"What does LOD1 and LOD2 stand for ?"... now as you may have noticed from the picture I use 3ds max and personally I have no knowledge of this LOD ... is someone kind enough to explain please :D
  • Chaemirix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arkrage wrote: »
    Some questions here ^^ :
    Hi there ... kind of new around here, just saw the dota 2 workshop like two days ago and tried to give it a spin.
    I kind of tried to make a riki knife, the model actually wen pretty well

But I kind of ran into some questions...
    1st one is just a question : on the requirements I see that my model actually needs all the maps to 128:256 but their maps (the maps I get when I download their original file) are all 512:1024 ... Now can I also use a 512:1024 map ? ...
    2nd one is :"What does LOD1 and LOD2 stand for ?"... now as you may have noticed from the picture I use 3ds max and personally I have no knowledge of this LOD ... is someone kind enough to explain please :D

1: Yes, that's the resolution your textures will be rendered at. You can work in 512x1024 or even 1024x2048, just maintain the ratio and keep it a power of two.

2: LoD is the Level of Detail. It's the number of triangles allowed on your model. LoD0 is the higher of the two. This is what's used in profile pictures, and when you preview it outside of an actual game (i.e. customizing your character). In the actual game the LoD1 is used, since the model is so small and only seen from an isometric view.
  • arkrage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks a lot for the answer even though that raised one more question ...
    your second answer made me think that mean that I can upload two models right ? one which will be LoD1 and one which will be LoD0, but I hope that it is allowed to upload only one model since my model is actually only around 330 triangles (LoD1 limit is 350), is it right ?
  • Chaemirix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You have to upload the lower one. LoD1. It is optional to do LoD0. Most people will have both though.
  • Pierate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pierate polycounter lvl 15
    Speaking of LoD's, how do you guys go about doing the high to low bakes (those of you who do that) when you've got two lowpoly models? Since they would be using the same normal map if I'm not mistaken. It could just be me overcomplicating things in my head though.
  • Sn1pe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sn1pe polycounter lvl 9
    Hey everyone!

There's some great stuff going on in this thread as usual! I wanted to ask if anyone here wants to collaborate with me on future workshop endeavors? I'm an animator/rigger and I've been dabbling with the source engine for many years now so I know the ins and outs of it pretty well, I've been wanting to work on some workshop stuff for a really long time now but my previous post here was ignored and that made me pretty sad haha. I'd just love the opportunity to animate some couriers or even make custom animations for weapons or whatever! hit me up on steam if anyone's interested: http://steamcommunity.com/id/voodoojujubongodrums/

You can also find an animation I made for Rubick on my profile! best of luck to everyone and their item making!
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Pierate wrote: »
    Speaking of LoD's, how do you guys go about doing the high to low bakes (those of you who do that) when you've got two lowpoly models? Since they would be using the same normal map if I'm not mistaken. It could just be me overcomplicating things in my head though.

You just optimize the mesh and make sure you don't touch any UV edges and you will be fine.
  • AndrewHelenek
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome crab there Andrew!

Doing some highpoly ideas for the Razor set.
    Z9kx8dT.png
  • marul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7
    Pierate wrote: »

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/LOD_Models
    great info on how to make lod models and not screw up uvw's.

Edit: Sorry, wrong page. This is the droid I was looking for. I won't delete the former link because it also gives some info on LOD models.
  • Erik Rönnblom
    My google-fu seems to fail me and I've got what I'm assuming is a pretty simple/common question: Can you replace meshes with items or do they have to be additive? I'm specifically thinking of replacing the face of KotL (which would be no problem with his current face except I need his beard removed for it to fit with my vision)
  • aivanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    You can replace only the parts of the mesh Valve has broken up and specified as replaceable. I suggest getting downloading the source files or looking through HLMV to see which ones. Some slots are additive, on a case-by-case basis between the heroes (i.e. Kunkka has back and neck slots that are unused by default).

In the case of KotL, you can only replace his hood, as his face is part of the always-present base model.
  • Erik Rönnblom
    Damn, I guess we'll never see a scaled scholar KotL set (was thinking lizard face, jafar staff and stuff). Props for the fast response :thumbup:
  • AndrewHelenek
  • Chaemirix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like they're starting to do a "special" chest running all the time instead of more seasonal ones.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    Chaemirix wrote: »
    Looks like they're starting to do a "special" chest running all the time instead of more seasonal ones.

They will be monthly I guess from here on out. Which is nice, because that means more cosmetic items that aren't in a set!
  • Gartean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nevermind,solved,thanks for the answer,moving on to the next part,textures!
  • toby.rutter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toby.rutter polycounter lvl 7
    Based on some of the feedback I've had on Steam Workshop, I've been playing around with some ideas for a less aggressive alternative to the shield in my item set. I'm trying to kit bash a fair bit to keep the style consistant, whilst creating something that potentially fits the character a bit better.
    ShieldGauntlet.jpg
  • uberphoenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bump set 100, click, add normal map, then add your mask. You may need to flip Y channel (green) if the normals look weird.

Then you need to enable hardware shading, The cherker icon witht he lightbulb needs to be pink.

Thank you! and to Marul too! both life savers. Your windrunner set looks great so far Anuxi btw :)
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tumblr_mijtpg9UOP1r43xj0o1_1280.jpg
    The Mancers Mask
    please go give it a look
  • darkartsofneko
    Gartean wrote: »

any idea on how to fix it? :(

I ran into a similar problem when I first tried importing my item into the game. I also use 3ds max, and regardless of what I did, my model never imported right. What finally got it to work right for me was to use the actual file from the game. A guide on it here.

Alternately, you could try changing the model you're using. The model I downloaded from valve had 3 files, .fbx .ma and .smd
    I used the .fbx because that opened easily with max, instead you could try starting a new scene and importing the .smd file, then importing your shoulder from your old file. If there is a difference in the models, expect your shoulder to be in a different location and/or a different size. When I started using the actual game file and I imported my models over, they were all smaller than they were in the other file (maybe it did have something to do with my units?). Hope this helps.
  • uberphoenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm trying to enable hardware shading in 3dsmax 2012, but I do not have the option at all on the viewport. It's not even greyed out like I have read most people have had. Does anyone know how I can know if I am using Directx9 for max?

I THINK this is the right place?

25VVr

Should I be using OpenGL instead? I'm a complete noob when it comes to the technical things :s
  • Gamer_Alien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys ! ive been working on a juggernaut sword , here is my progress. critics are welcome.

296n974.jpg
  • jaydon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaydon polycounter lvl 6
    Ursa head piece idea i am fleshing out. Opinions welcome
    9yZHIbZ.jpg
  • uberphoenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys ! ive been working on a juggernaut sword , here is my progress. critics are welcome.

296n974.jpg

I think it could be a little longer, did you make the base mesh based on the scale of the default jugg weapon?
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EE8D2174B56708DC718FD0D8DB73BBDFE8164B9A
    Please excuse the first image it was a placeholder, here's a much nicer render
  • Chaemirix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Please excuse the first image it was a placeholder, here's a much nicer render

I kinda like it but it feels very... nefarious for Rubick.
    I've always taken Rubick as a jokester. A very powerful jokester, even borderline insane with how quirky he was, and this seems so out of place for that character.
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chaemirix wrote: »
    I kinda like it but it feels very... nefarious for Rubick.
    I've always taken Rubick as a jokester. A very powerful jokester, even borderline insane with how quirky he was, and this seems so out of place for that character.

yeah but what ever looks good and what people like seems to work
    I know it makes him a bit more sinister but lets face it, most workshop commenters are idiots and won't care.