Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Alex - SF 3rd Strike

Poly-Jon
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Poly-Jon polycounter lvl 13
Hay Guys ..
It`s had been ages since i posted anything so i thought i would post up my current WIP maybe get some feed back and try to finnish it :)

Alex_WIP.jpg

It`s still pretty ruff in places - pants boots some anatomy boo boo`s etc but i figured it would fire it up any way

Cheers

J

Replies

• Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    really good sculpt! much more realistic than the sprite but I guess thats the idea :)
  • JR
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Really great! Always good to see some well made SF fanart.
  • SveinY
    Offline / Send Message
    SveinY polycounter lvl 6
    Great sculpt man!
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    whats up with external obliques and serratus anterior ? i dont know what are you trying to do, but they just dont look like that

http://gabedavid.com/blog/wp-content/img_07711.jpg
    http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/attachments/muscle-building-bodybuilding/1807d1282489708-guesing-game-natural-bodybuilder-francisco-montealegre-dscf0191.jpg

as i read somewhere, most of the time you can see either obliques ripped on a surface, or a serratus, not them together.

also: first pair of rectus abdominis muscles, origin of the muscle is on xiphoid process of the ribcage, yours look wrong and they manage to slide apart of main group and didnt stay in the same line

also: navel, i suspect it is too low

also: proportions: from the chin to the nipples is (although not 100% accurate) is a height of one heard, measure it

i am no expert, just a beginner in anatomy, so take my advice with a grain of salt if you want
  • TigerGD
    Offline / Send Message
    TigerGD polycounter lvl 9
    Alex is a lot younger in SF3 than he appears in your sculpt, and he should probably have at least a little body fat for his age.
  • AdamRodgers
    Looks very solid - nice sculpt - SuperFranky has some good points but I suspect your trying to edge your bets with this sculpt and give it a fair amount of universal pose-ability and maybe game use so its understandable that you've popped most of the important muscle groups, hat said Id say maybe take a look at your Latissimus Dorsi, maybe soften and blend it a little more and that would clear up a few issues - (edit - tried to find a reasonably similar arm pose to show the point)
    P9120805.JPG

That picky though and its a very nice bit of work.
  • nyx702
    Very cool. Definitely following this. Loving his pants.
  • CaSToRx7
    Offline / Send Message
    CaSToRx7 polycounter lvl 7
    Amazing! one of my fav characters in sf!
  • Jigsaw
    Offline / Send Message
    Jigsaw polycounter lvl 12
    Sculpt looks great, though I agree that he does look pretty old. Perfectly fine if intentional, of course, but if you're looking to recreate the character from SF3 you could probably try to smooth out some of those lines in his face a bit.

Two other things that stand out to me:
    1) His bandana could probably be a bit wider and/or sit a little lower. Looking at almost any official depiction of the character, his eyeballs just barely peek out from under the bandana which creates a really unique look. I think your model would feel more accurate if you got this detail just right (it would probably make him feel a little younger as well).
    2) Even if you're going for a more realistically proportioned take on the character, I still feel you could make those deltoids a wee bit bigger and push the V-shape of his torso a little more. I think his build is missing a little something to make it feel really true to the character.

Nitpicking aside the sculpt looks fantastic. Love the overalls and boots, and his ponytail looks perfect.
  • Poly-Jon
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guy`s thanks for the comments i will take them all in to account altho i have been dumb an
    in my haste to poste something in my spare 10 min`s at work i loaded a older ztool that i hadent fin sculpting around the torso hance the spazzy obliques etc i will post the latest version when i get a chance where i addresed this altho thair has been some things i hadent noticed a fresh pare of artist`s eye`s is always good. :)

Ged - jramauri - SveinY - nyx702 - CaSToRx7 - Thanks alot guys :)

SuperFranky :- you are completley right tbh in my haste in posting while i have a spare 10 min`s at work i loaded up a older ztool where i hadent finnished sculping around the obliques altho i cant belive i diddent notice when i took the screen grabs . altho i will look at the proportains of the chin to nipples thanks.

TigerGD :- Cheers i actualy wanted to do a older version of Alex am not so keep on his super young pretty boy looks and wanted to take him past that altho the lack of fat was at 1st a style choice to go more of thew capcom super chiseled look altho as i have gone on i seem to have steped away from that
    and will need ot go over it and make it moer uniform style wise. :)

AdamRodgers :- Cheers thansk for that hopefuly it will be more addresed when i post my latest sculpt shots.

Jigsaw :- Yea adding on a few years to him was intenctional :) as for the Bandana I compleatley agree it is litrley a cube i have thrown in place for now that i will address when i come to adressing the hair too as for the D3eltoids and the Vshape i think you could be right i was thinking of brininging in his waist a little too to got for that SF shape

Thanks again guys realy helpful stuff i will try to post my latest shot`s ( ill pay a little more attenction this time when i do ) an hopefuly i will of addressed alot of the mistakes with the model so i can then refine it and get it ready for a lower poly game version

Cheers

J
  • YoutLeaderVal
  • TigerGD
    Offline / Send Message
    TigerGD polycounter lvl 9
    How about Matthias Hues?
    age-of-treason.jpg
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I really like your work.

As some mentioned before, your Lats/Obliques area looks a bit strange.

But your sculpt cloth sculpting is great as usual!

^_^
  • Poly-Jon
    Offline / Send Message
    Finaly got to do a quick screen grab this morning so here it is thair are still problems with it but am lucky if i get more that 30 min`s at it every couple of day`s project am on has steped up for a while ah well no rush i guess
    Here`s the pic
    Alex_WIP2.jpg
    quickley painted a mask on in Zbrush to see him with his war paint on
    but no am thinking he looks like a Pumped up Alice Cooper ? :P

as for the face maybe it`s a bit old and i could do with a revision as thairs a few things am not happy with anyway lips etc but ill keep haveing a stab at it when i get a chance hopefuly things will die down abit at work soon

Again thanks for the feedback realy useful stuff.

Cheers
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    That is a good improvement, good job. But dont you think the model would look better without those overdeveloped serratus anterior muscles? Maybe he will look better without them showing too much, maybe put some more emphasize on the external oblique

something like that: rWtXR.jpg
  • Poly-Jon
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky :- cheers ill take a look when am next working on him although i did tone them down a little last but still need some more work :)

here`s a few close up`s to relay show my mistakes lol
    Alex_WIP3.jpg

I also did a very quick paint over to see a very ruff colour one
    Alex_Paint_Wip.jpg

Cheers again :)
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    your serratus anterior... there are just too many visible "fingers", if you know what i mean, there should be 4 max, because everything else is hidden below latissimus dorsi

and in your sculpt they reside too low on the body, but they should be no lower than an 8 rib

other thing: there is no visible difference among rectus abdominis and xiphoid process, you made it look like a single mass
  • Poly-Jon
    Offline / Send Message
    I figured it was time for a update.
    Figured i would give him some one to play with
    as he looked a little sad ..

Pair_2_zpseb584a95.jpg

Pair_3_zpse93bfea9.jpg

Pair_1_zps7bc42ff0.jpg

Pair_4_zpsc70d40b3.jpg

Pair_5_zpsd329d550.jpg

Ryu is still at a pretty ruff stage etc and very badly posed with out refining the pose after a quick transpose in Zeddy.

It`s to depict the Grudge match between these two as it was meant to be Alex as the main character in SF3
    but due to popular demand Ryu was back to retain the crown.

as always please crit away and i will continue to endeavor wit hall the anatomy fixes etc .. one day i will Finnish this piece .. maybe :P

and one more before some one else get`s their ;)
    Pair_6_zps15eb3787.jpg
  • Poly-Jon
    Offline / Send Message
    I have just done a quick Turntable of it and slapped it up on Vimeo
    see what you think
    https://vimeo.com/49908720

Cheers
  • Eoq
    Offline / Send Message
    Eoq polycounter lvl 8
    I'm diggin' it! : )
  • OrganizedChaos
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    Haha, great idea adding Ryu XD this is looking great, are you going to take it to a final low poly model?
  • Jigsaw
    Offline / Send Message
    Jigsaw polycounter lvl 12
    Argh, had a long reply typed out only to have the forum eat it. :/
    Can't be arsed to type it all out again so here's the short version:

Ryu looks pretty good so far, but it bothers me how caucasian he looks. I think you got the major shapes of his face mostly right, but he still needs a bit of tweaking IMO. Ryu's gloves look completely useless - the protective padding needs to cover his knuckles. His hair needs to be a bit messier too, I think. It's a bit too milquetoast for a badass karate hobo right now.

That's the gist of my crits. There are some details holding your Ryu back but you're off to a great start for sure. I think you nailed his physique, and I like what you're doing with his outfit.

Looking forward to future updates!
  • Poly-Jon
    Offline / Send Message
    Eoq - cheers dude

OrganizedChaos - thanks man yea eventual I'll do a lowpoly but am waaaay off from that at the moment

Jigsaw - cheers for makeing the offort to feedback twice dude :) I know what you mean wih Ryu's face altho he's always looked very European . The gloves are just quick base on a ryu pic I was looking at when I blocked em out but I intend to cover the knuckles similar to Alex's gloves .the hair is very much a place holder as I still have much to do such as the pants
    Cheers again for the feedback :)