Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    Frump wrote: »
    :poly118:
    It looks like you baked the blade with just one smoothing group. Doing that for stuff with sharp plane transitions like the edges of a sword blade will make the normal look puffy.
    Yup, i know. it's easier for me to extra flatten on highpoly and smooth some stuff manually.
    Originally Valve said everything had to have one smoothing group but that's not been the case for a while now, so break it up!
    I know, since that crazy chest-courier. i'll clear it up with the Valve guys, but still
    Hard edges and smoothing groups are OK to use, but are best kept to a minimum, as they break up the vertices and add to an item's vertex count.
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gah! I have been getting some issues lately with my occlusion maps. I seem to get the best results with transfer maps in maya and the normalmap+pointlight looks great and the details are accurate between those two but NOT with the occlusion which i generate at the same time/procedure. The details on the occlusion seem to be getting stretched in some areas. Any ideas what it could be? All the settings are right, i have tried with all possible settings but it's doing the same thing regardless. It's working in xnormal between all maps, but the overall quality is much better when i bake in maya so i prefer to use that. Do not want to edit in photoshop unless i really have to. Any suggestions what to look for? Have googled and not found any info on this problem.

@Vlad great guide!
    @Tvidotto the boar is looking even better now!
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    Hi guys, I tried to finish my BH set yesterday. Still had a lot of skinning issues especially with the shulder pads and the head piece. This is the best of what I could make of it, what do you guys think? Good enough to put it on the workshop page?

Edit: Also made some ingame shots whith the full set, think I just start uploading :)

xoK5v.jpg

ePL64.jpg
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've compiled a guide about previewing your items ingame. Some of you guys are in it too!
    http://www.workshophatemachine.com/2013/01/14/previewing-cosmetics/

meanwhile, on the requirements page
    Omni.jpg
  • RDMD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RDMD polycounter lvl 10
    I dont knowif I asked this before,but probably no,I have submited a item for antimage,a weapon,and since the weapons are 2,does it means I have to submit each weapon?
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RDMD wrote: »
    I dont knowif I asked this before,but probably no,I have submited a item for antimage,a weapon,and since the weapons are 2,does it means I have to submit each weapon?
    You have to reskin it to the other bone and submit it as offhand weapon.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    @T_Vidotto it was still there when I was playing around with him in the test client, it's the idle and portrait so it's very obvious when it's happening. Is there a chance the animations don't carry over into the main client?

sometimes there is differences on the animations between the two but they tend to be equal

probably is a bone they dont use much, you could post hidden on the workshop and ask them about it, maybe the dota dev but i never used it
  • RDMD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RDMD polycounter lvl 10

so I do had to submit each weapon individually? well ok thanks,though in my item description I have posted the same questiong and was hoping that if valve gets interested in my item them may answer it so maybe that means valve is not interested:(

though I will continue making items as much as I can
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paskie wrote: »
    Gah! I have been getting some issues lately with my occlusion maps. I seem to get the best results with transfer maps in maya and the normalmap+pointlight looks great and the details are accurate between those two but NOT with the occlusion which i generate at the same time/procedure. The details on the occlusion seem to be getting stretched in some areas. Any ideas what it could be? All the settings are right, i have tried with all possible settings but it's doing the same thing regardless. It's working in xnormal between all maps, but the overall quality is much better when i bake in maya so i prefer to use that. Do not want to edit in photoshop unless i really have to. Any suggestions what to look for? Have googled and not found any info on this problem.

@Vlad great guide!
    @Tvidotto the boar is looking even better now!

paskie

for me i preffer maya too but the occlusion never works, the occlusion i do on the xnormal and fix the problems on photoshop...

some heroes have the weapons in just one file like the beast master, but the most usual is separated with offhand model
  • Starcofski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think you should that cracked texture entirely, it'll become smudgy and noisy from afar, you could just drop some polygons in there and model one big crack with definite edges. Like this
    http://www.workshophatemachine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/crack.jpg

i did head item similar to this for Enigma, and without some skinning tricks this will look really dull.
    Yea but the issue is I really don't have any more room left to cut. I think my best option is going to be some skinning tricks (already devoting about 40% of the texture space to the crystal)
  • 4evra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4evra polycounter lvl 4
    All of the wards in the store are hero-themed, or is that what you're saying? That you don't think Valve will be accepting other hero-themed wards.

I was asking if some1 can submit a hero themed ward,and the Valve would accept that?
    Do they accept them right now,or are those users just creating wards and hoping Valve will make an exception and accept them?

I cant find the official category for those wards to be submitted to.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4evra wrote: »
    I was asking if some1 can submit a hero themed ward,and the Valve would accept that?
    Do they accept them right now,or are those users just creating wards and hoping Valve will make an exception and accept them?

I cant find the official category for those wards to be submitted to.
    http://www.dota2.com/workshop/requirements/npcs
    Bottom of the page
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Well i guess it's time to do some wards then!

New heroes have been added to the list or have i missed them before? :D
    Shadow Demon
    Slark
    Batrider
    Centaur Warrunner
    KOTL
    Mirana
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paskie wrote: »
    Well i guess it's time to do some wards then!

New heroes have been added to the list or have i missed them before? :D
    Shadow Demon
    Slark
    Batrider
    Centaur Warrunner
    KOTL
    Mirana

wards are the new "sven swords"!

=]
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    Oh man I am going to make a god damn KOTL set so much.
  • Sharc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharc polycounter lvl 7
    Since Slark is up on the workshop req page would anyone be interested in making this set?

prison_break_by_terrormokes-d5rixt7.png
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharc wrote: »
    Since Slark is up on the workshop req page would anyone be interested in making this set?

you have some nice ideas there =]

----

guys, i was talking to Daniden about the boar and he gave some ideas

based on how he hated the green parts on the boar, i decided to try without it =]

1NXJf

i reworked the high poly again trying to make the furs looks like fur

what you guys think? i need the green to give the poisonous feeling or without it is better?
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh wow, that looks worlds better! I'd be happy to have that boar by my side.

Great job updating him, you've brought up him to the standard of quality you set with the rest of that set.
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    Vlad - outstanding work supporting the community with these tutorials, surely will help raise the overall quality of submission.

Bronto - Really like how your taking the workshop feedback into consideration and updating your work accordingly, would love to see more artists doing this, myself included.

Tvidotto - much better without the green, and head and tails above the original!
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with the previous speakers, it looks better without the green highlights. The teeth looks poisonous enough :)

@Sharc, nice concept!

Just started with the texturing on the powerglove. Should be finished some time later this week.

Here is what i've got so far.
    G03Xm.jpg
  • Gareth_Thomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Tvidotto. The Boar is looking really cool. If you wanted a finer look to the fur and if the model supports alpha channels, then maybe try to do the fur similar to Ursa's back fur. That way it could animate too.
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Sharc, nice concept!

@Bronto: Nice lion set, good adjustments that you made after the comments!

My idea for a next hero would also be slark, but I didn't came further then the following: Lantarn fish head and a lobster shell as back armor... will do some more concepts, but furst my courier :p so many ideas and so little time!

Latest update:

EqUOR.jpg
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Ah! I didn't realize the wards were added to the NPC requirements page and out there for creation. I thought people were just making them assuming it would happen.

So far everyone is making them hero themed... That's a cool gimmick I guess but there's so much more potential.
  • I-ninja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I-ninja polycounter lvl 5
    Polycount team anyone?
    I will have to be a backup player because it's on a sunday
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    Ah! I didn't realize the wards were added to the NPC requirements page and out there for creation. I thought people were just making them assuming it would happen.

So far everyone is making them hero themed... That's a cool gimmick I guess but there's so much more potential.

I'm working on one right now that isn't based off a hero, very excited about the idea, but it's not ready to show.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh wow, that looks worlds better! I'd be happy to have that boar by my side.

Great job updating him, you've brought up him to the standard of quality you set with the rest of that set.

yay, really thanks bronto, that made my day =]
    Lennyagony wrote: »
    Tvidotto - much better without the green, and head and tails above the original!

yay! thanks

@ Tvidotto. The Boar is looking really cool. If you wanted a finer look to the fur and if the model supports alpha channels, then maybe try to do the fur similar to Ursa's back fur. That way it could animate too.

that as good idea
    unfortunatelly im on the limits of the poly budget, for this one is just 2k tris for the lod1 and of course im on 2k hehehe, using every single triangle i can

---

thanks for the feedback guys, that helped a lot
  • Beats
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beats polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Guys, Im working on a set for axe teestock concepted up. Axe has a 'Misc' slot, was wondering what I can use this for?? Apologies if this is covered somewhere, couldnt find out from my searching.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beats wrote: »
    Hey Guys, Im working on a set for axe teestock concepted up. Axe has a 'Misc' slot, was wondering what I can use this for?? Apologies if this is covered somewhere, couldnt find out from my searching.

the dota characters uses a 1024 x 1024 texture for each character

in the begging of the game is made an atlas of all the itens, the misc slot is when still there is some space on that map

its problably a small on like 128x64px

and you can use for anything you want that doenst gets in conflict with the default items or the cosmetic ones
  • Beats
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beats polycounter lvl 11
    Cheers Tvidotto. Thanks for the help :)

I'll be sure to post up some WIP's once I've got something worth showing you guys
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • HntrLuc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HntrLuc polycounter lvl 18
    thanks for the earlier comments helenek and tvidotto. While I can't do much if you don't like the eyes :P, they're about the same size as the original eyes so I'm not too worried about readability.

Here's an ingame test shot. Still working on textures, and im planning to rework a good hunk of the shoulders... but it's slowly coming along.

dota_sandking_ingame_test.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HntrLuc wrote: »
    thanks for the earlier comments helenek and tvidotto. While I can't do much if you don't like the eyes :P, they're about the same size as the original eyes so I'm not too worried about readability.

Here's an ingame test shot. Still working on textures, and im planning to rework a good hunk of the shoulders... but it's slowly coming along.

dota_sandking_ingame_test.jpg

looking really nice hunter

i like how the head stands from the body and the overall quality is impressive =]
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow! That Sand King looks badass! Excellent work! 10/10 Would buy.

Back to the drawing board for me with the powerglove ^^
    The details came out terrible ingame, going to try adjusting the highpoly and take a different approach with the glyphs. Maybe just have one big glyph on the glove. Another lesson learned i guess :)
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Tvidotto, really like that boar now! Much improvements :D
    Also hunter, that sand king is so nice and clean and beautiful :3

Had a day off so I thought I would do some live streaming and make a mirana Item set from scratch.
    Blockout_01.jpg
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Had a day off so I thought I would do some live streaming and make a mirana Item set from scratch.
    Blockout_01.jpg

Holy cow! Is that... an Owlbeast?! Love it!
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HntrLuc Love it!
    Paskie That's a shame, if it's any consolation I made three arms for Lion before settling on my current one (which I even ended up updating), there's a point around the wrist where you don't want to put anything like symbols or glyphs since the default animation is rotated and it warps the texture in that area. Keep at it, though! Look at lots of Hellboy images for reference :D
    Anuxinamoon Oh my.. That owl mount is such a cool idea, I can't wait to see your progress on this one!
  • ike_ike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ike_ike polycounter lvl 12
    268x268.resizedimage268x268.resizedimage

so it turns out that vlad is actually a workshop machine and he turned out these glooooorious models in about a day!

anuxinamoon: i only tuned into your stream right when you were taking those screen shots ;_;
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HntrLuc Love it!
    Paskie That's a shame, if it's any consolation I made three arms for Lion before settling on my current one (which I even ended up updating), there's a point around the wrist where you don't want to put anything like symbols or glyphs since the default animation is rotated and it warps the texture in that area. Keep at it, though! Look at lots of Hellboy images for reference :D
    Anuxinamoon Oh my.. That owl mount is such a cool idea, I can't wait to see your progress on this one!

Yeah, i saw that too in the itemtest and thought wth is going on? :D Seems like the fingers are ok with some details. Hehe, yeah i have to be careful so it does not look too much like Hellboy which obviously is the reference. Which bones did you bind yours to? From the elbow and down? Saw some odd stuff going on with the fingers. Really like that one you made with the glowing cracks. Did you get the selfillumination to work? I could not.:(
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just copied the weights of the original hand and made slight modifications (like weighting the ring to just one bone) - my mesh doesn't differ too greatly from the original (intentionally) so the weights were pretty much the same.

I have a bit of self-illumination on the ring which seems to work fine and I used it on my head-piece and weapon, too.

What issues are you having? Post your masks and I'll see if I can see any issues.
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HntrLuc wrote: »

That tail is looking great! The eyes might be a bit to small like mentioned before, but that just might be that the tail attracts all the attention :poly121:

Did some concept modeling for Slark, because the tricounts aren't posted yet and I'm still working on the corier as well. Also did some alternative arm concept, an electric eel. Not usre which I like better, maybe Il do both..

ByAvV.jpg
  • Hideouscreation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hideouscreation polycounter lvl 5
    Question. Does anybody have an .OBJ rip of nightstalker?
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Blockout_01.jpg

amazing idea anuxi

remembers the warcraft 3 model that had an owl to scout. looking forward on this one =]
  • Kamaki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kamaki polycounter lvl 6
    Hey there guys, I found an old guide by Tvidotto on how to view your items in game but I'm having trouble with the first step. I was wondering if anyone could elaborate, or give me dummy proof instructions. Everything else after that seems pretty easy.

The first step was:
    1:In the Dota2 BETA FOLDER, extract all folders to the DOTA2TEST FOLDER
    so unpack all files, using CGFScape, on file pak01_dir.vpk to extract all, I went folder by folder not through the root all at once
    after this you must rename all the .vpk files (there is an easy way using the command prompt. but u can do it manually) Rename them something like .vpk0 so the game won't register it.
  • eastblue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    new update Jan 16
    http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=69544
    WORKSHOP
    - Added Import Courier and Import Ward.
    - Added support for animations and attachment points.
    - Added Quicksave & Quickload import buttons to make it easy to redo a previous import.
    - Added Centaur Warrunner, Batrider, Mirana, Keeper of the Light, Shadow Demon, and Slark to the Hero list (and http://www.dota2.com/workshop/requirements).
    - Preview now allows you to add multiple cosmetic items onto the preview Hero.
    - Preview now has a Portrait camera view.
    - Preview now allows you to select a skin on models with multiple skins.
    - Preview now visualizes attachment points on models that require attachments to be valid.
    - Improved validation of polygon and bone count of submitted models.
    Sweet. Jesus.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    YAY! Now lets hope they fixed the file navigation to show shortcuts and I'm all happy xD
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kamaki wrote: »
    Hey there guys, I found an old guide by Tvidotto on how to view your items in game but I'm having trouble with the first step. I was wondering if anyone could elaborate, or give me dummy proof instructions. Everything else after that seems pretty easy.

The first step was:

there is 2 clients, the dota beta and the dota test

the suggestion to use the dota test is to not mess with the main client and get VAC banned =]

was that your doubt?
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yesssss

all my compiling skills are useless now! =]
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    all my compiling skills are useless now! =]

Haha, I was thinking that just as I learn how to import a whole set into the Test Client they completely remove the need to do so.
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    eastblue wrote: »
    new update Jan 16
    http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=69544

Sweet. Jesus.

Fuck yes, this has me doing a happy dance.

HntrLuc / Anuxinamoon - Both shaping up nicely!