Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Joshs super fantastic improvement thread

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
joshschmitt polycounter lvl 11
Update on progress, I have edited this post to make it easier to view the thread with my latest work.

Posting an update on my improvement. I am currently working on a Halo Study of a scene and my HP prop is done, I plan to make a LP of the door after I have finished more of the scene.

josh-schmitt-door.jpg?1428443680

https://artstation.com/artwork/halo-door-study

Replies

• DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Off-hand, I'd say that you need to focus on texturing - both applying UVs and creating the actual textures. None of your models appear to have a texture, just simple materials. Modelling is important, but in many ways it's the easiest third of the job; creating an efficient UV layout and quality textures are at least as important.

I'd lose the back-lighting on the models, at least for this forum; it really just clutters things when we're trying to look at details.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    He's learning modeling and moving onto texturing after.
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    got Alex's swag rendering technique down, yo
  • joshschmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DWalker wrote: »
    Off-hand, I'd say that you need to focus on texturing - both applying UVs and creating the actual textures. None of your models appear to have a texture, just simple materials. Modelling is important, but in many ways it's the easiest third of the job; creating an efficient UV layout and quality textures are at least as important.

I'd lose the back-lighting on the models, at least for this forum; it really just clutters things when we're trying to look at details.

Thanks for the feedback, these were more of getting the shape and learning better techniques for HP modeling.

My next asset I will HP, bake and then texture.
  • joshschmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on what im working on currently:

Making a generator from a concept which is posted bellow

EAQN4Np.png

There are some things I still have to add, e.g. floating geo, the ground plane, fix the middle circle to be indented, its too rounded so maybe squish the object down, fix the pillars that are attached to the rounded plate because its too thick at the moment and a few other things.

LbqzoYr.png
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You gunna do all the parts across the top and the loop thingy
  • joshschmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You gunna do all the parts across the top and the loop thingy

Idk exactly which part but yes, the panels and the loops on the main, as well as some objects on the turbine.
  • cookedpeanut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cookedpeanut polycounter lvl 12
    If you want a tutorial for hard-surface/automotive modelling then I can't recommend this tutorial more - it really is one of the most informative and detailed (no nonsense) tutorials out there. Everything is in realtime and the detail he goes into is phenomenal.

http://www.3d-palace.com/store/#!/~/product/category=9700052&id=37622218
  • Cibo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cibo polycounter lvl 10
    Your Turbine looks wrong. Please make the shaft in the middle of the machine. :poly124:
    It total fake without function.
  • joshschmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the tutorial reference, I might do that but the first bike took forever to do with a full time job I am probably going to stick to smaller assets from now on.

@Cibo

I believe its in the middle, camera angle might throw it off, I will have to look when I get home.
  • joshschmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, finished the high-poly and now making the LP to bake with.

gSzPjPV.png

pv7Z6LB.png

Low-Poly currently is about 7200 tris.

Critiques welcome!
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Not too bad man! For your highpolies I would study what makes others work stand and and more interesting. Bevels, Chamfers, nice rolling flowing hard surfaces are sexy as hell. Your knife for example is very planar where as the concept had some nice round curves on the handle. The more you can change surface direction and create interesting highlights the better off your model will be. There is definitely a balance, so don't 45 degree bevel everything. But where it makes sense and you can justify it, add some interest.

I did a quick paint over of your low. you have a lot of geo that isn't contributing to the silhouette. meaning it doesn't change the quality of the surface in anyway. If disable wireframe and you apply a black diffuse with 0 spec material to your model (pure black) and study the silhouette (edges of the shape) you'll see what is important what is not.

Your priorities seem a bit off as well. The smallest cylinders on screen have more sides than the largest main shape. You have to consider the level of detail the player would be able to see at any given time. This is important for the lowpolies geometry as well as the UV arrangement and texture sheet. No sense in making a bolt 1k tri's and 2048 if it only occupies 4 pixels on the screen.

3uRttRH.png
  • joshschmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @S6

Thank you for the feedback, I have made changes according to your post, if there is anything I did wrong or different from what you said please let me know.

I applied smoothing groups and also cut the object in half for UVW and baking then mirroring the models.

DHrzyK4.png

dvBNI9B.png

7E9QgFY.png
  • Wulf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wulf polycounter lvl 7
    What is the purpose of the ground plane underneath the model? Is it actually a part of the entire asset or just for looks? It seems to have a lot of unnecessary polygons if it is just a simple, flat plane.
  • joshschmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wulf wrote: »
    What is the purpose of the ground plane underneath the model? Is it actually a part of the entire asset or just for looks? It seems to have a lot of unnecessary polygons if it is just a simple, flat plane.

Its a ground floor piece that I havent really paid attention too to much, I posted the concept in previous posts if you wanted to take a look at it, I will probably touch up on it before I bake and uvw.
  • joshschmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now im off to Unwrapping the model, Maybe I have to use two textures due to lower resolution on some items, still unwrapping and making every work together.

SZgyrie.png
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    You should try straightening out some of your curved islands to make it easier to pack them tighter. This will give you more resolution and detail to work with (without using more or bigger textures) as you are currently wasting a lot of your UV space.
  • joshschmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak wrote: »
    You should try straightening out some of your curved islands to make it easier to pack them tighter. This will give you more resolution and detail to work with (without using more or bigger textures) as you are currently wasting a lot of your UV space.

Yeah I was going to straighten some of them, the hard parts are the curved pieces and how to not get stretching or any issues with them. I agree that there are wasted UV's, going to try and use as much space as possible.
  • joshschmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its been a while since I last posted, too much Destiny :/

Anyway I decided to move on from that generator and went with the Monthly weapon challenge on Polycount.

I am getting closer to the finish goal of the HP then will bake/texture.

vpY8YQz.png
  • joshschmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well its been a while since I posted too much Destiny then been working on this gun Rhino 200ds which I havent shared as of yet.

The concept is this awesome revolver, the Rhino 200ds

I am still working through and fixing any issues before baking. For the most part the entire HighPoly is finished.

6tREIzA.jpg

f58Blir.jpg
    gp0LNNz.jpg
    QlrG1YC.jpg
    5fxqQvj.jpg
    m2Bedcw.jpg
  • joshschmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone have some critiques they could give me on this gun?

Thank you in advance!
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    Hey man, Great work on this so far!
    Here are some things that caught my eye:
    f115cd56d5.jpg
    Hope some of this helps.
  • joshschmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Joshflighter

Thank you so much for the feedback, the 'yellow' spots I was going to do after I bake, I could probably threw them into the HP too.

Is the 'red' arrows how the geo should be?

I will update my model accordingly.

Thank you!
  • joshschmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have made the changes except for the red and yellow marks, thats for tomorrow :)

xmRE0j3.jpg
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man, much better. Sorry, extremely tired, so just pointing out the differences in refs and nothing much on the modeling:
    63a52c273b.jpg
  • deod116
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    deod116 polycounter lvl 9
    Hi Josh!!
    Thats a nice looking gun, but there's always room for more improvement. I'll just write down what i would do to improve the model. First of is the small bolts on the rear sight, they are to small and will not catch enough light to give the wanted detail, i'd do the bigger even tho its not like that on the reff, it's still a model that will be baked i guess and that will be to few pixels for the normal map.
    I would also make sure that i separate the level of creasing on every material, and exaggerate it more, like the metal would have the exact same creasing on every peace of the gun and, and the handle would have a smoother to just make it obvious even in the HP what material it is.
    And there is some changes i would do in the model as well as, even tho ot will never be noticed when its baked, i guess its the OCD...

FEm79US.png?1
  • joshschmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you again for the feedback

@joshflighter

The sight is a 'red dot' sight, alexcatmastersupreme said I should do that to make it 'cooler' so blame him lol

I will adjust the (chamber?) size and move the bolt inward more so its not extruding.

@deod116

I will apply the changes to the model, the handle I wasn't sure what material type I wanted so I was messing around with a semi-hard surface but doesnt look good.

If you wouldnt mind sharing the 'ocd' parts that you see, always best to learn how to make things better! :)

Again thanks for the feedback and I will have these done later tonight after work!
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • joshschmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just an update:

I have been adding the changes to the model, hopefully finished later tonight and will post results as soon as completed.
  • joshschmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have applied all of the changes that both of you have said, if there is anything else please let me know.

Also if anyone else has any feedback for this model post!

omOw2K2.jpg
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man,
    looking great!
    2bcc93b34e.jpg

also, this was right before:
    85ca20d896.jpg
    The blue is your model, and red is the correction.

Edit: also:
    011bc96f8a.jpg

Can't wait to see more! :)
  • joshschmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the update crit...

The top left of your image there is a cut, its hard to see from that view but there is one.

I will apply your other crits.

Like always thanks for your feedback!

Edit:

And the floater I was going to do in ndo because I feel it wouldnt bake properly around the corner of the chamber.
  • joshschmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • joshschmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • joshschmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • joshschmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been a while since I started this thread, wanted to post to show the improvement that I have done over the past year.