Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Monthly 'Newb' CHARACTER Challenge | July 2014 | Multiple Pieces

Replies

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    You can make some artistic liberty/changes. People do it all the time :P

The dude's design is pretty hard QQ. When I make his clothing baggy, he appears fat instead, lol. Also, very weird hand design.
  • Abidus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Abidus polycounter lvl 10
    Getting there! I think I may have gone overboard with the fur on the head especially, might have to redo that.

uQbgilI.png

@itholon: It looks like exhaust pipes to me. The way its set up, there would be some on the opposite side as well, I think.

@fenyce: Nice start! What software are you working in?
  • cgartland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cgartland polycounter lvl 4
    7T80q0f.png

Here's first day of progress. Still very sketchy but I'm trying to get it allblocked before I go on to detail each piece.

Let me know if I'm making any proportional mistakes
  • fleric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fleric polycounter lvl 6
    did some fur today, dint had much time for more...

cab910f9a6f5456e5b78b20ee9967408.JPG
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks @Abidus, I'm using Blender. I don't own ZBrush atm.
    I like where you're going with yours, but you may be right, the fur on the face seems like little much/chaotic atm. And maybe you should break up the mirroring effect on the front of the fur around the neck a little, especially since there's a seam.

EDIT:
    Update. This is where I stopped yesterday night and where I'll continue now.

progress01.jpg?dl=1
    I'll go for the fine details next.
  • marty87ita
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    day2, i'm going for a low poly mesh with the target of a maximum 3000 triangles, unfortunately i can't sculpt :(

M5M2MQh.png
  • AA3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AA3D polycounter lvl 3
    woaaaaaah ... 3 pages in already

lotet thx man . yeah its mostly MD

kratos & lotet looking awesome already guys
    Itholonlooking cool man love them fingers :D

i didnt get to do much progress myself :
    did a bit of detailing in some parts+ retopo for his coat to clean up a little

dude_8_progress_2_3.jpg

dude_8_progress_2.jpg

dude_8_progress_2_2.jpg
  • Silver Spade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is my progress so far in Maya. Frankly I am a bit nervous.

MonthlyNoobChallengeMech001.png

So far its mostly low poly. The only high poly objects here would be the cannon piece. Will still add the nuts and bolts, maybe.

lotet: So far liking the output on your mech, liking the hands and how smooth the whole mech looks.

Mr. Moose: I would suggest using a sphere for the head (where the sphere is sideways), and split it into two, and drag down points for the teeth (you might want to count the number of edges the sphere might have). Extrude inwards to give the sphere depth(?). At least, that's what I think, feel free to approach it as you please.

fleric: Its looking fine, though in my opinion you might want to have the fur "merge" into the skin(?) a little bit more.

PyrZern: Awesome! :D I am hopefully still trying to learn how to do the things you do. But with regards to criticizing your work, I would think the legs should be shorter, but then I feel that they actually need to be longer than what it shows in the photo. But then, either way, awesome work! :D

butt_sahib: I keep gazing at your hulk profile pic. xD But aside from that, you're doing a great job in such a short amount of time (wishing I could do that, though, I suppose with skill comes with practice). Might just be me, but your hand region might need a little bit more fur, if not, something that lets me distinguish the fur more. Nice job though, liking the polypaint. :3

Marko Richter: Liking your work and keeping a sort of "record" of your progress. If you don't mind, would it be alright if I used your photos for reference / guides as to the production process (correct me if I said that wrong). xD

Abidus: Liking the fur and overall detail on the character. xD If I may ask, what are the tools you commonly used for making him? If that's ok for me to know. Nice job eitherway. :)

Well, it gets tiring to comment on everyone, but then again since I get to learn, I might as well give my part, or something like that. I do enjoy this, even though I get stressed out by some things which might not work well at times.

Sorry for the wall of text. I am a bit nervous as I am not used to doing these things (or rather, once I reach the stage of having to texture and apply various maps, and then having to render it on a laptop with a graphics card that would make games like Super Mario 64 run smoothly T.T). :3
  • independ-hans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    independ-hans polycounter lvl 13
    AA3D looks overall good, the Folds working

marty87ita like it, I am curious you really want change the 4 Proportion to a more 7 Head height? If want that go for it.

Silver Spade Good blocking

Edit:

I downloading Unreal Engine 4, cant wait to get to use it, since I did tried unity3d, cryengine and udk.
  • Marko Richter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marko Richter polycounter lvl 5
    My Update on day 3.

Silver Spade: looking good, no need for being nervous ;) (and of course you can use my images for that purpose) :)

fleric: you should propably give the legs a bit more of an angle. This doesn´t seem too stable this way.

idgq2Tp.jpg
  • Abidus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    7kDl27h.png

Redid the face to more closely match the concept, and added some asymmetrical detail to the scarf.

---
    @Fenyce : Thanks for the feedback. I ended up redoing the face and simplifying a great deal. I also worked on establishing some asymmetry in the "scarf", especially near the front seam.

Good work so far on your model, it has a loony toons quality to it that I like. :)

@marty87ita : Interesting take on the concept! looking forward to see what it looks like eventually.

@Silver Spade: So far, so good! what are you nervous about?

For sculpting the fur, I tried two things:

1) I created a insert mesh brush in the shape of a hair bundle, then positioned it and attached it to the mesh with dynamesh. I think this method has potential, but it is very time consuming and can become a nightmare when dynamesh decides to connect things it shouldn't and things start tearing up etc.

2) The more reliable method I found was a combination of clay tubes, inflate and pinch for establishing the fur forms, then using the standard and dam standard brushes to add detail to each bundle. Move brush is always useful, too.

@Marko Richter: Good job so far. I feel that maybe the face is resembling a rabbit more so than a fox/cat, but maybe that was intentional.
  • independ-hans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    independ-hans polycounter lvl 13
    tumblr_n85wu0qvIF1surhcmo1_1280.jpg

The first day for me working on that, we have day 3 xD.

I think about to use Flur alpha planes, but to get a blocking for the size of the flur is good I think.

I also make sure the char is the right size for rigging , yeah UE4 tumblr_n85x94Fl0D1surhcmo1_500.jpg
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    ZybuaWw.png

Here is my progress, not too much. I think I'll be going with the mid ranged poly count and after some planning I think I may just sculpt and model the character with the hands already in the pockets. I want the character to look best with the hands in the pockets and the extreme tension of that shown in the wrinkels around the elbows so if his arms are out of his pockets and straighten out it could end up look pretty ugly with the stretching. And the pocket could look a bit off with the hands out if I were to sculpts the pockets to look like they have the hands in them like the concept, and I really love the pose of the concept which is the sort of main goal I want to go for.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    shadownami92:
    He man really digging the propotions. Captured the concept well!
    Agree that you cant really make a Tpose character and still be as cool as the concept :)

independ-hans:

Looks sweet man! last i saw you you were working on the base! thats pretty fast lol
    Yes! Alot of alphas :)

[COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"]Abidus:[/COLOR]
    Looks better with each post man. Keep going! I believe the eyelids could be more defined however.
    For sculpting fur, the second method is definitely the best.

Silverspade:
    haha
    Thanks for the comment man. I definitely see what you mean and i corrected it immediately. Could push it ever further though still. Might do that.
    Yes alot of areas need volume which is why ill be using alot of alphas :D

AA3D:
    Sweetness!!
    That will be a major pain when you go for the low res though :/ but it wouldnt be as cool though if you simplified the folds etc :)

Fenyce:
    Love your face man. The best one yet IMO

Got the high finalised, made the low and baked my berry character. 1024 map with a 3k limit (still have about 300 tris for alphas yayz)
    berrylowbaked_zps8dcba237.jpg~original
  • fleric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fleric polycounter lvl 6
    hi guys had more time today ^^

Marko Richter thx for the tip i really dint realize that until you brought it up

Silver Spade it was intended to be just a block at that time...but now it is part of the mesh. Do you think its ok now?

b099a563e824f93c2042f04f75228192.JPG
  • Itholon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Itholon polycounter lvl 7
    Fleric: Looking really nice, I like the volume of fur on the tail. Face is right, almost like the one on the concept. :thumbup:

butt_sahib: Baking turn out well, as I can see. Looks nice.

Marko Richter: Model looks really nice, but the face could be a little flater, because it looks like squirel a little. Try to make face flatter.

AA3D: Damn, that is pretty impressive. Except the shoes are little different from concept, but I like them anyways.

cgartland: That looks really great, I like how many details are there already.

And here is my WIP from yesterday. Hopefully I will finish the high poly today.
    cIaSSwh.png
  • GreenBeams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GreenBeams polycounter lvl 5
    I'm so excited that this exists! It'll be my first character so i'm going for the "easiest" of the three. Everyone's work is sooooo good here, too!

Onwards! to steampunk robot lovelies!
  • marty87ita
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    day 3 of work, i think i'm almost done with the mesh. I tried a quick pose and the result aren't so bad.

3Js7cN0.png

now i must do the worst part of the model, texturing it, i just remembered that, except for some barrel, i've never texturerd anything and i must learn how to unwrap properly

abidus i prefer the old version of the neck/chest fur it was more puffy
  • RuDolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RuDolf polycounter lvl 5
    Ok so I was searching the web yesterday looking for 3D opportunity to keep busy and I came across the Polycount forum and stumbled on this thread, I think this is a great idea and it's just what I need to broaden my skills.

Here is my mech so far, Itholon was right there are a few perspective problems that need rethinking when modeling. I had mobile in mind but I'm already at 3.3k tris so I'll go for mid res and plan it better next time. only been using blender for a few weeks and still learning. been using 3ds max and softimage basically half my life so I have no clue what's waiting for me with the texturing. loving blender so far just have to say!

Mech_WIP3.png
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's where I'm at at the moment:
    progress02.jpg?dl=1

Still working on the high poly mesh. At least I'm having fun, ha ha ha.
    Still have to figure out how to do the cloths in a good way. Never done that before. Urgh.
    I hope that I'll be able to do a good bake at the end... I'm kinda nervous...

RuDolf: That looks like a solid start!
    ltholon: That looks already pretty awesome! Can't wait to see your finished piece.
    Abidus: I like the old one better, the face general shape was somewhat softer and harmonic.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaayyuummm, multiple lowpoly stuff start popping up already!

@fleric The furs on her face are a bit too large. I expect them to be finer thin sharp furs. She looks rly nice though.
    @Itholon You're super close to finishing the highres now! How will you texture it ?
    @GreenBeams Glad you're joining us !
    @marty87ita You're right. Nice fur is too thin there.
    @RuDolf Hey, welcome to Polycount! Good start you have there.
    @Fenyce Looks great there ! Really like her volume thus far. Nice proportions too.

Here's where I am at now. Gonna stick with this pants after multiple remade :) Proportion and forms still bug me a bit though. The back side of the pants is so crappy T_T
    10339483_10152521068715115_746971463419948842_o.jpg
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    @PyrZern
    Here is some feedback! Hope you dont mind.

your sculpting skills are really good, and getting better with every challege! but you really need to work on your analytical skills, there are so many easy fixes you can do to this sculpt to make it look more like the concept. I made some simple comparison lines and a gif to go with it:
    check_your_proportions.png
    onof_gif_gif.gif
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update. Calling the HP done soon.

I'd be thankful for any critic!
    I wanted to give the character a little "Dota 2"-ish feel, like all those lovely courrier characters you see here on polycount from time to time.

progress03.jpg?dl=1
    I could post more angles if needed.

PyrZern: Nice progress so far but he feels kinda streched. Maybe due to the baggy pants and the very long jacket. And I think the folds on the pants could be improved, but I'm not good with folds myself, haha.
    The paintover lotet did is great, especially regarding the pants, the shapes are better I think.
  • GreenBeams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loads of good work here!

ok, day 1 progress on the high poly version - really struggling with the feet shape - has anyone got any tips, please?

WIP_day1.JPG
  • AA3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AA3D polycounter lvl 3
    butt_sahib : hehe indeed he will be .. tho im aiming for quality more than optimization . u can say next gen i guess lol . i might even try PBR for the first time .. being aching to dive into it . ur bake smells good :D . cant wait to see how it'll be textured

itholon : oh dang it .. i am actually aiming to make the shoes like the concept lol .. would be awesome if u can help with how to fix or improve it .. i can barely see the thing in the concept

fenyce : i definetaly love how this is heading ... agree with
    butt_sahib on the face .. 2 damn cute

fleric : love what u doing with the fur on the tail man ... but the fur around the ear is a bit to much .. also feels like poor transaction from fur to soft at this area

pyrzern : sweet progress man .. id personally love if the folds on the pants could be a bit asymmetrical around the middle seam
  • fleric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fleric polycounter lvl 6
    Finished the armor and did some painting...

AA3D: Still thinking how im going to meke that look beater

Itholon: thx ^^

fa8e7e3635df224f8840f4fb51242c8d.JPG
  • thepapercut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow this thread is big this month.
    Just started blocking out mech parts. hopefully it'll be all blocked out before the end of the weekend. Going somewhere between low and mid poly range. The canon's construction is kinda giving me a headache at the moment.
    julyPCWIP1_zps04731a08.jpg

I'll be back tomorrow and post some comments and critiques, but so far everyone is off and running strong.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    itholon:
    Thank you :) Hope you like the update

marty87itva:
    Youre going to learn how to unwrap? welcome to hell man :P
    Model looks pretty good

GreenBeams:
    One days worth of progress is pretty great
    Looking good man. The feet seem fine!

AA3d:
    Thats great man go for it! :)
    Thank you for the comment!

Ok so i think im done with this character. Now moving onto the staff, rigging etc :)
    berrylowtexturewip_zps88938e2a.jpg~original
  • Itholon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern: I like the work you did on the pants. And as lotet mentioned you should tweak some proportions. Most importantly I would make the head and that tech thing he has on his shoulder bigger, because it draws a lot of attention on the concept.

Fenyce: Looks nice and cute :). Except the ears could be a bit more pointy and not so round.

GreanBeams: Mine looks like this: http://i.imgur.com/nwjhYVZ.png. Not sure if it helps you though. (only link because I dont want to spam with pictures).

AA3D: Your shoes are more ergonomical and would fit a normal person better than his shoes. His shoes are more straight. pic- http://i.imgur.com/8nrsPIZ.jpg (link because I dont want to spawn with pics that much)

butt_sahib: Really digging the hand fur. Face fur looks great too. But why she looks so sad? :)

Here is my WIP, high poly done, low poly would be pretty simple, since I am aiming for the high res. Unwraping will be horrible, I hate it and suck at it. The texture will be probably hand painted, since I am begginer it will take me a looong time.
    saNDZWc
    saNDZWc.png
    saNDZWc
  • Abidus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2o0Mjve.png

Currently sitting at 9047 tris

Baked the low poly and got a start on the texturing. This is by far my weakest area of expertise so excuse the crappiness.

---
    @GreenBeams: Really nice work so far! The feet seem fine to me.

@fleric: Something about the neck fur seems off. The rest of it is shaping nicely so far.

@butt_sahib: Nice work with the alphas, especially on the arms. Very clean textures as well!
  • GreenBeams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's today's progress: and now on to the low poly version. I've never done this so can i ask: is it best to box model something simple or retopo? Any advice from you guys would be brilliant, thanks =) Also, those chminey vent things - i'm going to assymetric them up right nice =D

WIP_day2.JPG

@butt_sahib - thanks! Your modelling was done so quick and the colouring is looking really nice. Are you modelling out the twig staff thingy? Excellent job on stepping down the resolution.

@lotet - that looks excellent - i think you paved the way for finding out what's underneath the armpit on the mech Is it done in ZBrush and wahat sort of tri count are you aiming for?

@_Kratos_ yours is really coming along nicely. Interesting choice on the mid/rotating section. is it the spokes of one giant cog?

@fleric - your colours are looking good! Maybe go lighter and cooler towards the end of the tail?

@itholon - thanks very much! I ended up smoothing and just turning away from the monitor, promising i'll simplify the low poly version xD

@Abidus - thanks muchly, too! I would offer one piece of advice on the painting - don't get too tempted to add strong highlights to distinguish the toes as they may end up distracting from the head ad stuff - I'm not saying that's what you'd do... more that's what I would do and then wonder why i was staring at the feet =D
  • Silver Spade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I think I've done the high poly for the mech.

EDIT: Added the bolts. xD (Though sorry if they're not that visible in the shot).

MonthlyNoobChallengeMech002-1.png

MonthlyNoobChallengeMech003.png

I will have to find a way to reduce the polycount. One way that I discovered was by putting the smoothed model into ZBrush and using ZRemesher.

On another note, I will have to find a way to UV Map it, if ever so I could texture it in Photoshop (though, will be doing some research on high polygon mapping, unless I resort to ZBrush's UV mapping, and attempt to polypaint it). Will have to choose a target soon though (mobile, medium, high).

Though, I would want to be certain if I am doing this right, so if I might ask you, the reader, what should I do next?

fleric: Personally, I like how you textured him/her, has a nice touch to it. I'm a bit bothered by eyes though, feels either too dark, or a bit too "monochromatic" (correct me if I used that word wrong). Good job though. :)

thepapercut: Curious, what problem/s are you having in that region?

butt_sahib: Wow, that looks great! I like the idea of seeing something detailed only to find out its a low poly model. What I enjoy the most is how the fur sticks out and gives that "volume" to it. Though, pardon me if I may have exaggerated a bit. :P

Itholon: Nice job on the mech so far, though I see some things that catch my attention. The head is bit "flattened" looking (though this can be looked over), one of the rear "tail pipes" appear to be extremely thin, and the arm is floating in mid-air. Regardless, I like how you did the spacing in the plating above his head.

Abidus: I could relate to you with regards to your weakness in texturing. xD (though do correct me if I misunderstood you). To critique, you might want to put more colour or emphasis on the "puffier" fur pieces. Aside from that, its nice. :D

GreenBeams: Liking your mech so far, I like the most is the little curve you gave him to give that stylized look and feel. I might just be looking at your profile picture, but I'm guessing "orkz rulez" and "WAAAAAAGH!". xD

On a previous note, I get nervous since I'm either paranoid of what others might think, or that I would hit a sort of "road block", and get stuck on finding out what I have to do next to progress with my work. So far, I like this community, lots of fun and seemingly friendly people (paranoid, I am). I am looking forward to feedback, and giving back feedback. :D
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys really appreciate the comments and critiques! Wanted to get this done in 2 days but i think 4 days will be what does it lol
    I edited my previous post to update my progress (made the staff etc). Next update will be probably finals

Itholon:
    Hehe i have no idea. But the absence of mammaries probably means its a he rather than a she ;)
    Model looks great! Would be SO much fun to handpaint :)

Abidus:
    Thank you!
    YOur model looks good aswell. Though i would suggest some changes in the polygonal distribution. The face eg needs more loops or deformation and sillhouette. You can easily take out loops from the arms which seem really dense
    What did you use to make the low res?

Greenbeams:
    Thanks man, appreciate it. im not fast atall honestly, just spending the whole day on this lol
    Yes i just finished making the staff :)
    I think you have captured the concept well. Nice clean wires. What res are you going for?
    You could make your low res in a numerous amount of ways. You could use for unsmoothed high res and cut down from there, or you could start from primitives as you mentioned or some people usually have a midresolution mesh when they start and they make the high res and the low res from that mesh. I reckon you can do a mixture of primitives and use the high res since its a relatively simple model
    Good luck :)

Silverspade:
    Hey man looks great!
    Id recommend going in and chamfering/softening those edges you have on your extrudes. Absolute 90 degree extrudes dont bake well (see polycount wiki, i could link if you havent seen it before). Simple image:
    NormalMap?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=normal_slopes_hatred.jpg
    Some more info can be found on ben clowards webpage
    Haha thanks broda. Appreciate it. Im glad you feel the volumes present :)
  • Itholon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Silver Spade: Thanks for the feedback. The head is a little "flattened" because on the concept it is a little squashed too. And I thought it was more interesting than perfectly round head. The arm isnt actually floating, the part that conects it to the shoulder is covered with the shoulder armor. pic-> http://imgur.com/AYfWYQA. But you are right, the exhaustion pipe looks weird. Yours looks nice, except the arm looks kinda off, maybe it is the pose or the perspective shift, but it looks like the legs are bigger than arms. And on the concept the arms are visibly bigger and should draw more attention than legs.
  • fleric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fleric polycounter lvl 6
    Thx for the feedback guys... i tried to improve the painting and did some whiskers
    322a9f26ffd8d19d47fbeddbe74917c1.JPG
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey fleric!
    The texture on the head is looking a little to flat. A decent gradient (value and hue shift) could improve that I think. Same goes for the clothings. Also you could do some hue/value/saturation variations on the gold parts, since they just look like solid colors right now, while the fur has nice gradients.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, everyone is moving so fast. I am trying to catch up here :)

Rawrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! I wrote up bunch of comments then I pressed a wrong button and the whole tab is closed!

@lotet Thanks for the paintover, man. Helps me a lot.

Made the clothing more baggy. And adjusted some proportions. Also gave him basic colors for visualization. Blocked out the hands now. Gotta start on his shoulder for real.
    RmZccBj.jpg
  • Itholon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @PyrZern: I know that feel. Happened to me twice. I gotta say, that is incredibly wonderfull.
  • Silver Spade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib: I haven't seen it yet, I would much appreciate the link, and thank you for bringing this up. :) Though I wonder, I feel a majority of my extrudes might be like that, though I'll try to find a way around it.
  • Abidus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks to butt_sahib, I have now been infected with alpha fever. Send help pls.

1k482NP.jpg

---

@GreenBeams: Thanks to you, I'm now obsessed with making the feet as unnoticeable as possible xD

@silverspade: Thanks! I agree with the need to add more variation to fur. I'm working on it next!

@butt_sahib: did you know your name translates to "butt companion" in arabic?

Most of the retopo was done using a heavily guided zRemesher, with me going in and fixing areas where needed (ears, fingers, joints, etc). I wasn't planning on having the face deformable, which is why I put most of the loops in the limbs instead. I think you're right about it being a little too dense though, I'll see what I can do.

@PyrZern: Good progress! Just an aesthetic suggestion, but maybe make his stance a bit wider (push his feet further apart)?
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Abidus Great work on her face there. Very pretty. Also, thanks ! I made adjustment to his standing stance, and he looks a ton better !!

@Itholon Thank you !

@fleric I feel like her neck fur should be more puffy and not weighted down like that. Texture really pops out, though. Looks so clean.

@butt_sahib Thanks for posting that. Gotta make sure I don't make that mistake on the dude's hardsurface stuff.

ANd here's my progress of the day. Lots of adjustment around. This guy has very very very weird hands <_<"
    906594_10152523953475115_7436626596734960521_o.jpg
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zfadJDa.png

Did a bit more work Mainly on modeling the swords, not finished with them yet but they are getting there. Think I'll make his shoulder attachment be a speaker rather than some sort of machine that helps him fight in some way. It will be like a shoulder mounted boom box.

butt_sahib: Thanks! Im also loving how your character is turning out, nice use of the alpha planes!

AA3D: I'm really digging the shoes looking really good!

Abidus: I'd also go with the suggestion of looking at trimming down the polycount a bit. You have some really dense areas of polygons that aren't really doing anything to improve silhouette in areas that won't really move if it were animated. I'm mainly thinking about the fur tuft around the neck of the character. The limbs are using lots of edges longways which won't effect the silhouette much either yet there isn't as much geometry in the face area. Generally the face would get more since it's the area of the model that people' eyes tend to gravitate towards.

Pyrzern: Did you make the arms shorter in the newest update? The top arms just seem a bit short compared to the bottom arms to me. And the arm pad details on the helmet seem a little high for what their function I'd assume would be. Other than that I like the render and the clothing detail!
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Shadownami92 I'm sorry I don't understand the part about arm pad details on the helmet... But yes, I made his upper arms a bit shorter. Seems more fitting to me. Or maybe the jacket pockets are too high... Gonna have to check that. Can't wait to see your boombox!!!
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, I totally meant "ear" pad details. For the arms though I think in that case maybe put the pockets a little in more? Maybe he isn't totally posed yet but it arms don't seem to be resting in the pockets or relaxed at all as if the upper arm is holding the lower arm up against gravity, basically not at rest.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Finally got something new to show you guys, chamfering all the edges and creating the small details took way longer then I thought, but here we go!

Still got some details I want to ad, scratches and stuff, but I think like 80% of the high poly is done. Rendering in Corona as always.

also, so much awesome stuff everyone, to much to even comment :)

here, have some pixels:
    WIP_04.jpg
  • marty87ita
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    unwrapped the model, as best as i can do it since this was my first attempt at unwrapping something other than a crate or a barrel. Some area need more work at texturing, and the solid color pinpoint where alphas for fur will be.

3dzc69f.png
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Shadownami92 Ahh, don't worry about the helmet yet, I am still gonna remake it in Maya.

@lotet Great stuff as always.

@marty87ita If you like, you can also post the snapshot of the texture layout as well. I think we have many veterans here who can help.

Alright. This is to finalize the dude's shape and form ONCE and for ALL :) It's lower subdiv level of the sculpt. Enjoy it in 3d!!
    [SKETCHFAB]2ba753fe9d57408da9c370a540a6ae7a[/SKETCHFAB]

Note to self.
    * Adjust the part where lower arms attach to the body.
    * Longer upper arm biceps.
    * More weighted upper arms in the pockets.
    * Make the actual pockets.
    * Asymmetricate coat's collars.
    * Remake straps
  • R0gu3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Everyone's stuff is looking awesome!
  • JamesMeader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesMeader polycounter lvl 9
    This months offering is looking awesome, keep up the good work guys!
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Abidus
    Hey man alphas looking sick ;)
    Yeah i do know it actually. Believe it or not butt is my family name heh

Lotet that is beautiful man

Calling my character done. Managed to work on some things. Always room for improvement but need to move on. Great challenge! :)
    Berryfinal1_zps2dc24b30.jpg~original