Home General Discussion

Question Regarding Workstyle

Greg DAlessandro
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Greg DAlessandro polycounter lvl 6
Do you work standing up or sitting down?
I heard it is much more healthier for you in the longrun to be standing while you are working. (better for your back/posture)

For those who stand:
- is it strenuous on your feet?
- what type of desk do you have (height of table)
- do you feel the difference? (does it help you work easier/longer?)
- Is this typically allowed in the workplace?

Are there other alternatives for workplaces where you are not allowed to stand?

Replies

• StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    Last year, I tried the whole standing workstation deal.
    I'd like to think that I'm in decent shape- hitting the gym 3-4 times a week, but...
    My feet & lower back started to ache. It wasn't for me.

:icon60: The couch-station was much more forgiving
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I alternate as I feel like it ... we have motorized desks that can raise lower/easily. I find it's great. Once I get tired of sitting, I can stand quickly and get back into the groove because my back doesn't hurt anymore.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    perna wrote: »
    Medical reports say "sitting for prolonged periods puts your health at risk"
    The internet nerd community: "Oh then, let's STAND for prolonged periods instead"

*facepalm*

If you care about your health, take regular breaks. Move. Exercise.

didn't the reports say exercise and breaks were pretty much negated by a job that requires you to sit at a desk for prolonged periods?

My first job as a teenager was fixing computers and work benches were standing desks before they where cool - the solution to getting worn out from standing too long is a stool, just take a seat when you need to. My legs are completely fucked, I can only really stand for 20 minutes until I start to feel it in my knees & feet, so if I was able to handle I think anyone can.
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    I've been using a standing desk for about a year and a half. (It's actually an art desk set to max height on both sides.) If you read online testimonials carefully, you'll see that the people who actually use standing desks don't have to be there throughout the day. Almost all of them sit at some point.

Pros:
    - Back feels more flexible at the end of the day.
    - More awake and alert. (I've actually switched it back to sitting height twice and immediately went back to standing because I instantly felt mentally "fatigued".)
    - Moving around a bit helps me think. It's also easier to change posture and stretch.
    - Easier to stay on task because leisure stuff is better sitting down.

Cons:
    - Most people complain about foot pain, with me it's my knees. I hear a good fatigue mat makes all the difference.
    - Posture benefits go out the window if you start leaning. I tend to do this at the end of the day. This can be seen as an advantage though since I'm more conscientious about poor posture when standing.
    - Most of my breaks are for giving my legs a rest, not my brain.

The real advantage to standing is that it's MUCH easier to adopt good posture and move around while staying productive. It's also WAY more comfortable with tablet work. (Many traditional artists work standing up.) It's best to have a sitting contingency though. So either invest in a desk with a hydraulic lift (expensive), or set up a small sitting workspace as well.

In my case, I make sure I take breaks and if I have to sketch or write something out manually, I do it sitting down.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I usually dance on the spot while working, I feel it helps a lot with motivation and getting the blood flowing.

Pros:

- Legs and rest of body feels worked out
    - Can listen to any style of music while dancing

Cons:

- Can be tiring at times
    - At risk of looking like a massive gimp
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    as scientific as your own statement, you cretin!
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    I just purchased a nice cushion to place under my ass while sitting. It allows me to stay glued to my chair for longer periods of time. Might not be that good for your health though lol.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    solution treadmill desk.
    Edit:
    But seriously watching women workout is pretty motivating.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    D4V1DC wrote: »
    solution treadmill desk.
    Edit:
    But seriously watching women workout is pretty motivating.
    Reminded me of this

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9_amg-Aos4"]Hawaii Chair Infomercial - YouTube[/ame]
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    4_29_11_TheIT.jpg
    I work on one of these bad boys, feels good man.
  • Chai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chai polycounter lvl 17
    This is a really good thread, great info regarding standing workstation for our line of work.

@Equanim - thanks for the detailed info, it's helps a lot.
    @Perna - ye man I reckon you nailed it, pretty much summarizes experience of everyone I talked to on the subject.

I feel more focused when my upper body is free, I breathe, focus & ultimately work better.
    But as we all know, when you're stationary after about an hour it all gets thrown to the garbage. (despite exercising a lot)

Still I'm extremely interested in somehow incorporating that properly to my art job, on a full time basis (not just an hour here and there)
    There's an interesting line of chairs called CoreWerks, where the seat can move to emulate motion, maybe there's something for standing ..

However wouldn't motion break focus, in our line of work ?
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    XYZ for prolonged time will strain you, somehow. Doesnt matter if it is sitting, standing, lying, etc.

I have an adjustable one. I can sit, stand, dance and win at it. Coupled with exercise, I dont feel strain at all. Might be just me being lucky, though.

EDIT: "But as we all know, when you're stationary after about an hour it all gets thrown to the garbage. (despite exercising a lot)"
    I actually don't know that. HOw does that make sense? If you sit for 59 minutes, everything is fine, but at that extra minute all your exercise now becomes invalid? And how does smaller breaks factor into this?
    I honestly dont trust that statement, but maybe I missed the study? :)
  • letin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This topic reminds me an Apple office desk (there was such a product long ago in their history). You could tune its' height at any time to sit or to stand as you wish. )
  • Chai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chai polycounter lvl 17
    Spoon wrote: »
    XYZ for prolonged time will strain you, somehow. Doesnt matter if it is sitting, standing, lying, etc.

I have an adjustable one. I can sit, stand, dance and win at it. Coupled with exercise, I dont feel strain at all. Might be just me being lucky, though.

EDIT: "But as we all know, when you're stationary after about an hour it all gets thrown to the garbage. (despite exercising a lot)"
    I actually don't know that ...

Ah by "when my upper body is free", I meant sitting without a backrest.
    Basically it helps the lungs/heart operate more efficiently, blood/oxygen supply to brain, etc ...

Try it, you'll feel great, more awake and stuff, but after a short while the body goes full retard. (due to lack of mobility, like you said muscles can't stay contracted forever)
    Pretty sure that's the same issue with what Perna mention when standing.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Edit: Completely wrong.
  • Chai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chai polycounter lvl 17
    beefaroni wrote: »
    I've been sitting for about 10-11 hours a day for years and I feel fine.

I think the problem that most people run into is lack of exercise (a little strength training) COMBINED with a good amount of stretching. Also good posture and setting monitor height properly.

The key is stretching your lower back, glutes, AND hamstrings. The hamstrings connect up to near your butt and if they're tight they can make your lower back uncomfortable.

Sorry bro you got some of it wrong, the body assumes Anterior Pelvic Tilt (aka Lordosis & Lower Cross Synrom) during sitting.
    The hamstrings & glutes are already stretched, if anything they could use strengthening not stretching.
    Instead it's the quads & hip flexors which get super tight and can use stretching (and preferably also foam rolling)

I would imagine your back feels fine, thanks to stronger core from your exercises, that's great man.
    However that still doesn't mean your body is functioning optimally, esp as most chairs get you stuck in a Kyphotic posture. (though I'm definitely on the lookout to fix that if anyone has an idea)

lowerCrossSyndrome-339x400.jpg
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Oh cool good info all around. Thanks for correcting me as well.

Edit: Hmm, I was curious since my view was completely wrong and came across this.
    http://www.swolept.com/posts/fixing-anterior-pelvic-tilt-posture-tricks-to-make-your-butt-and-gut-smaller
  • Chai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chai polycounter lvl 17
    Np dude, link seems legit ey

What bothers me is you can have the best posture in the world, but when you sit down you'll always get force cramped into a Lordotic & Kyphotic posture.

Am looking into a more dynamic/active chair, or a standing setup .. but not seeing much positive testimonials so far.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for elaborating, Chai. :)
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    ? You mean you don't all have this setup?

NPG6BVM.jpg
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    All it needs now is a hole in the mattress and a poo bucket underneath :P
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    One way I can say isn't worth trying. Don't cut a hole in a wash basket and mount your monitor to it, so you can lay down and put your monitor directly over your face. It'll give you a headache pretty quickly.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think exercise is the key to everything ... I'm discovering this far too late in life, but once we started (my wife and I) going to the gym 3-4 times a week most of my problems went away. Take a class or something and get some exercise. It'll change everything.

Then you can sit, stand, use a rubber ball, or whatever you prefer.
  • Pradip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what, when working for 12 hrs a day ?
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One suggestion is that you you could, like, not do that. I understand that crunch happens and we fall off our exercise routines, but if you're not in "oh god ship it now!" mode you should be able to find a few hours a week to go to a gym and sweat.