Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Monthly 'Newb' CHARACTER Challenge | July 2014 | Multiple Pieces

Replies

• JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanLeigh polycounter lvl 9
    @JordanLeigh Really nice, I feel I have a hard time to finish it, what should I skip to finish my peach, or is there no skip available.

Like PyrZern said it's totally down to you. You can't really skip a step and still turn out with the game ready character you originally planned.
    It depends on where you want to take it?

Polypaint it and keep it high poly
    Ditch it and start a new character
    Carry it on after the challenge and finish it

I'd do the last one. It's meant to be a learning process so see it through to the end and the next character you do will be so much better!
  • Dvolution
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvolution polycounter lvl 11
    JordanLeigh: He turned out nice! It's cool to see other people's executions of the same concept. All the different routes that are available. The PBR is a good look on him. (you responded to hans while I was typing this shiz) :)

PyrZern: Yours turned out great too man. :)

independ-hans: What PyrZern (and JordanLeigh) said, whatever you feel best doing. If you are dead set on finishing this little guy, then take your time if you want. Or, conversely, if you feel like you're tiring of this character, chalk it up to a learning experience, wash your hands of him, and just apply what you learned this round to your next project.

I don't have much to show, I'm a little behind where I wanted to be progress wise, but here is the first texture WIP on the robo from me:

Texture_WIP_01.jpg

A large chunk of tomorrow will be spent working on this fella. I may not get a pedestal and presentation comps done for this month, but I'll get the robo himself all gussied up.

Keep up the good work everyone! :)
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvolution wrote: »
    JordanLeigh: He turned out nice! It's cool to see other people's executions of the same concept. All the different routes that are available. The PBR is a good look on him. (you responded to hans while I was typing this shiz) :)

PyrZern: Yours turned out great too man. :)

independ-hans: What PyrZern (and JordanLeigh) said, whatever you feel best doing. If you are dead set on finishing this little guy, then take your time if you want. Or, conversely, if you feel like you're tiring of this character, chalk it up to a learning experience, wash your hands of him, and just apply what you learned this round to your next project.

I don't have much to show, I'm a little behind where I wanted to be progress wise, but here is the first texture WIP on the robo from me:

Texture_WIP_01.jpg

A large chunk of tomorrow will be spent working on this fella. I may not get a pedestal and presentation comps done for this month, but I'll get the robo himself all gussied up.

Keep up the good work everyone! :)

Wow! Sweet texturing! Did you just hand paint it? Tempted to go back and do the same for my painted metal parts. It looks awesome mate, can't wait to see the whole thing finished!

Any tips you can share on the process like brushes or anything/
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    @JordanLeigh Really like how you hardsurface part looks. My hardsurface pieces don't bake out as clean. I'm trying to understand when to have hard normal and when to split uv. #_#

@Dvolution OMG, that super stylized texture !!! Don't forget some nice contrast alright ?

@fleric You're one to talk; you got some really nice piece there yourself ! Well done man :)
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern wrote: »
    @JordanLeigh Really like how you hardsurface part looks. My hardsurface pieces don't bake out as clean. I'm trying to understand when to have hard normal and when to split uv. #_#

What do you mean by hard normal and UV split?
  • Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr.Moose polycounter lvl 7
    Whats everyones opinion on lighting for hand painted textures? I love how devolution has done his work, but wouldn't that only be good for a presentation, and not that great for putting into a game since its got such a strong sense of directional light and would look out of place?
  • ClusterOne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ClusterOne polycounter lvl 4

The rule of thumb is if its a 90 degree angle it needs a hard edge and a separate uv island.
    What do you mean by hard normal and UV split?

UVs have to be separated by hard edges or else they'll bleed color when baked.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, for like the mech's fingers, which are all hard edges, that's like bunch of small uv island all over the places ?
  • ClusterOne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, where each one meets at a 90 degree angle you'd want a separate UV island--if not it bleeds color between the edges like lightmaps in UDK.
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ClusterOne wrote: »
    Yeah, where each one meets at a 90 degree angle you'd want a separate UV island--if not it bleeds color between the edges like lightmaps in UDK.

Wow can't believe I didn't know that. I havnt done that for my UV's :/ it's turned out okay hasn't it ??
  • independ-hans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    independ-hans polycounter lvl 13
    Sorry because the wall of Text
    @Mr.Moose
    Since I know now that you guys mean with blobby thx you mr moose. I would be able to avoid it, with working on low sub level and slowly working up to higher and do not jump between the levels, and waste time with it fixing problems that could be avoided it.

The pectoral muscles volume is wrong, and the abs shapes is wrong. I did not see that. thank you for point it out.

I have understand for myself in the process, I should not sculpt in in a muddy way some key skull that are seen through the skin on the human its looks just wrong. I could mark it in with polypaint if I feel I need to pin-mark it, and I should not do that to. Because I would need to get at least a 100k subdiv level to mark it, what would be mistake because steal myself the focus.

My own critic on me is, that I thought I could sculpt muscles from brain, I should not do that for at least for 5 years. I just will learn it wrong.

I think Lighting for hand painted textures should be different and variance on illustrated areas if the things are only show in that light condition. if it a character that is going from one area to another I would think, where is only the way the character lighting is change in color the light to match the light environment like an specific place.

For presentation its just easier, as just it look good, I would go for it.

JordanLeigh, Dvolution &PyrZern Goood, Good, my goal was to create an Avatar picture. So like the idea of the Bust, may go with that.
    I think wanna try to do the next Challenge but I won't have too much time, but I want to do present a peach in UE4 this weekend, will do it with Berry Twig General Bust & Hat. Thank you Guys.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow can't believe I didn't know that. I havnt done that for my UV's :/ it's turned out okay hasn't it ??

Yeah, how da heck you get nice baking out of it is beyond me :P Is your lowpoly all smooth-edge ?
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, how da heck you get nice baking out of it is beyond me :P Is your lowpoly all smooth-edge ?

Not sure haha. I never touched the smoothing groups on my LP. Just used my HP and removed the geometry to make the low. Did't know all that mattered, I thought the smoothing was all from the normal map so why woudl you need to sort it on the LP???

And I remember seeing a picture someone had of hard edges, UV's and baking. Can't find it though, if someone knows what I mean please post it please :D
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • thepapercut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I probably won't have enough time to texture every single piece but at least all the pieces are done. Not stoked about the hand, the concept and the alternative version I made just don't seem right. Any thoughts guys?
    WIP5_zps758a215b.jpg

Hand by itself:
    WIP5_hand_zps4370c55f.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think the current hand/fingers you have is bad. You can separate each finger joint a little bit, and angle each finger differently and maybe of different length ?
  • Jalfish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Halfway though texturing, I got sick the past week :(
    WIP4.png
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jalfish wrote: »
    Halfway though texturing, I got sick the past week :(
    WIP4.png

Looking good up to now, should throw it into marmoset or whatever renderer your planning on using so we can get a good look at it. Looks nice up to now though. Looking forward to seeing him finished
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Dvolution: looks beautiful man
  • razorbjc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    razorbjc polycounter lvl 13
    Hey guys, this is my first challenge. I'm a 3d modeler from the VFX industry and I'm thinking about switching into games/interactive. I figure this would be a good place to start. Here's my start of 'Dude8'

KOApf3f.png
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Jalfish Looks very nice man. You paiting LP diffuse in ZBrush ?

@razorbjc Welcome. Glad you join us. Really nice pants' wrinkles you got there. Sadly this is finishing up soon and most will move on to August challenge. I wanna see your piece finished though :)
  • Aabel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    First time participating in a monthly challenge. Trying to open up and share my work more. Want to finish up the staff with berries and leaves then integrate some of the sculpt elements like ear and face fur plumes into one piece. Not sure I will finish this by the deadline but I am going to try!

BerryTwigSculptProgress.png
  • DonEngland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DonEngland polycounter lvl 9
    @Silver Spade: The rough and metal maps are inputs into the physically based rendering system in unreal 4. Itholon had the good links that talk about PBR. Good luck.

@PyrZern: Great looking model.

@Itholon: Looks nice, I like the dirt and metal wear.

@JordanLeigh: Great finish. Great to see some finished models.

@fleric: I like the way the fur turned out.

@Dvolution: I love the brush strokes.

@Jalfish: I like the handpainted look.

@razorbjc: Nice start.

@Aabel: I like the clear plane changes and volumes. Are you giving the piece more stylized proportions than the concept?

--
    I threw my model into marmoset and used the unreal 4 preset shader. I should have been checking this model in the final engine much earlier.

There are far too many smoothing splits on my model. I'll be running some pipeline tests to see if I can get a synced workflow for next month. I still have a long way to go on texturing.
    mech_by_donengland-d7skbq6.png
  • thepapercut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Pyrzern: Thank man. I messed with size and pose of the fingers and it does feel a bit more natural when looking at it.
    @Donengland: Really like the texture work, I can't imagine the headache from putting that UV together.
    @Aabel: Hopefully you will be able to finish it as it's a really great start!
    @razorbjc: Welcome! As others have stated, really enjoy the pants and looking forward to the progress you make!
  • Marko Richter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marko Richter polycounter lvl 5
    I ran out of time in the second half of this month so not much more progress here. At least I worked a bit on the Textures and made a quick and dirty pose :D
    I gonna call this thing done. Was a nice exercise and cool to see the progress of all of you. Hope to see you in the next challange ;)
    azF8Rqz.jpg
  • ClusterOne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @thepapercut

DonEngland used substance painter, which does all the heavy lifting. Its a godly program--if you haven't checked out, you should--its more than worth the 100 bucks if you ask me.
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @thepapercut

DonEngland used substance painter, which does all the heavy lifting. Its a godly program--if you haven't checked out, you should--its more than worth the 100 bucks if you ask me.

what is substance painter? Is it like a programme for polypainting?
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    substance painter is kind of like ... Quixel dDO's different approach to awesome and kickass texturing. I got totally lost in it last time I checked it out, but it's so awesome. I couldn't make head or tail out of it :P

Here are my construction shots of the 4-Armed :)
    10463746_10152572161055115_5615850260717362258_o.jpg
    10514371_10152568804665115_5102357054026068379_o.jpg
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Looks great Assani :)
    You finished strong on this one! :) good job :)
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah looks great PyrZern! One thing I would say is that it looks like its lacking contrast. You've done a really nice job, but the texture looks a little washed.
  • JimmyRustler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JimmyRustler polycounter lvl 8
    @Dvolution
    Those handpainted style looks sick. Can't wait to see it finished

@DonEngland
    Those textures looks juicy. I know it still WIP, but i think you need to define your texture a lot more, like on his mouth part, because i don't seem to notice it the first time i look at those pictures.

@Marko Richter
    Cool, looks lovely. Would look a lot better if you decided to throw some alpha hair on his fur.

@Pyrzern
    Yeah, good job, man. Looks solid

Anyway, i'm afraid i can't finish my entry this month, because this week, i'm going on a vacation, and the next full month, i got my hand tied on university assignment.
    Won't abandoned it though, because i think this could be my best work yet.

In the mean time, i manage to do a little more sculpting on his clothes
    Yc2TaDu.jpg

And retopo his head. Helmet is still on the way.
    zGXSxuN.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys ^^
    And yeah, contrast still is my bane. I will try to get better :)

@JimmyRustler Hate it when life gets in the way of things :P I really like how you make the jacket though. Really really like it. Compared to yours, my jacket looks like a stupid sack of potato >_<" I hope to see you finish this one day.
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ladyknowles polycounter lvl 7
    Update on my little character. On terrible net, so I will leave some feedback for you guys later! <3

iJCnB1E.jpg
  • DonEngland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DonEngland polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the feedback.

@JimmyRustler: I like the large forms in the clothing, looks good. How are you texturing the head?

---
    Substance Painter is a 3D painting app. I really enjoy it, feels much more natural to me to paint directly on a 3d surface.

Here is the "Layers" dialog from substance painter for this mech.
    fpSBE4K.png
    I made a metal in substance designer which is applied to the whole object. Several adjustment layers are added in substance painter. There is a fill layer that affects 3 different maps (albedo, rough, metal) and then several adjustment layers on top. No source textures were used, it's just basic round and grunge brush.

I still need to collect some dirt along the creveses and the lower edge of the oil leaks. The roughness map needs a lot more variation too.

---
    Actually, I made those changes.
    2b5HurT.png

See you in next months challenge.
  • Silver Spade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, I'm really seeing a lot of finished works. :D

Though I'm seeing the deadline is tomorrow and I might not finish in time, I will still finish the work at hand before moving to the August challenge (which I saw and am tempted to work on). Though I will prioritize my schoolwork, unless I want to risk repeating a term for a subject I utterly despise.
    @thepapercut

I suppose I should start investing money into some useful tools, though, aside from "Substance Painter", what other tools would one suggest (looking into TopoGun, and Marmoset Toolbag 2 as well)?

Will post progress once I get back to my laptop.

Overall, I've learned and have been inspired by a majority of the posts here (and to be honest, have been intimidated every now and then, but I'll have to get used to that if I'm to get better at this).
  • JimmyRustler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JimmyRustler polycounter lvl 8
    @Pyrzern
    Thank you. And yeah, it sucks to have something get in the way on finishing this.

@ladyknowles
    Looking at the concept, i think you should tweak her leg a bit, because it doesn't look that straight in the concept.And you should tweak her overall head shape, like her ear should be a lot bigger and her cheek should be little bit more small.

@DonEngland
    Thanks. Texture is just a base color applied on top of AO bakes, rendered on xoliul shader 2.
    Going to add final touches after i'm done sculpting and baking all of the things needed.
    I see your update, and it definitely looks a lot better. Grats' on finishing, looks solid to the concept.
  • Jalfish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not really finished with this character but the month's over! Oh well, heres what I've got.

BeryyCat_Presentation1.png
    The bleed on the texture is not done yet so there are some holes.
    This is also the first time I'm using Marmoset Toolbag :P Took abit to find the diffuse input..
    BeryyCat_Presentation2.png
    BeryyCat_Presentation3.png
    ^This is a little wip when I was painting the character, I did mostly on one layer because I couldn't figure out mudbox's layering system very well (The layers showed up on some objects and didn't on others). I might needa find another 3D paint software.. Any suggestions?

Weeeeell thats all for this challenge I guess, I will work on this guy somemore though.
    My fever is kinda catching up on me now >_> Feedback maybe tmr..

EDIT: oh yeah the mesh for the character is at 4878 tris (target 5k)
    and the staff/stick is at 1080 tris
  • BurnTheHorses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all, I'm new here and just thought I would give this challenge the ol' college try, so here's my take on the mech and a [URL="file:///F:/Users/Aaron/Documents/Work/Dropbox/Dropbox/Public/UnityWebPlayers/Mech/Mech.html"]Unity Webplayer to showcase it. [/URL]

Mech_Fin.png
  • Svog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jalfish: i really like your hand-painted texture, the colors are smooth and clean

Donengland: really good materials and textures, didn't know about substance painter

Pyrzern: i like the shading of the helmet, also good folds on the trousers :D

yQIcHqB.jpg

I'm not very happy with the end result, but we are in august already, so switching to the other challenge :poly124:
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I suppose I should start investing money into some useful tools, though, aside from "Substance Painter", what other tools would one suggest (looking into TopoGun, and Marmoset Toolbag 2 as well)?

That depends on your budget.
    Topogun2 is $100. It's great for retopo IMO. And isn't too bad at baking texture. It could be replaced with some nice Max/Maya retop plugin. And xNormal is always good.

Marmoset Toolbag 2 is very handy. But you can get UE4 for $20 or something. Then cancel the subscription. Then you're good. I already bought Toolbag though, so I'm sticking to it.

I'm using Quixel Suite, but unless they make it independent from Photoshop, its days are limited and counting down, IMO. I'm gonna start learning Substance series now.
  • Silver Spade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [sketchfab]ebb033893234461a8ade83592a667915[/sketchfab]
    Mech - (Character Noob Challenge - July 2014) by Silver on Sketchfab

tluJU7m.png

I know its late (by 1 month and 2 days), though its finally done. Sorry for the late, late, LATE, post. (Though in my defense, had school work and unexpected events which lead to many delays... and some distractions and procrastination, and not to mention the lack of knowledge in getting where I should go). This is my first seemingly successful work that I posted, hopefully it gets better from here.

I can't expect anyone to read this, but thank you for whatever help I received during this particular 'event'. I will attempt to learn more and do more with regards to improving myself.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did you forget to pose his left hand ?
    His texture could use some more contrast around, but I like how stylized it looked though !
  • Silver Spade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did you forget to pose his left hand ?
    His texture could use some more contrast around, but I like how stylized it looked though !

Well, I left the left hand as is, so in some sense, I opted not to pose it. If it is alright with you, is it possible to further elaborate the 'contrast' bit?

UPDATE: Looking at the left hand again... I suppose I DID forget to pose it. :P

I could say I have a loooong way to go, but I suppose this is a nice place to start. And thank you for the comment / critic (?). :)

Jumping in on the September monthly newb challenge. Well, THAT should be fun.
    (- u -)