Home Quixel Megascans

IN PROGRESS: Materials going inside other materials

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
LRoy polycounter lvl 10
I've been having issues when trying to assign a material to color IDs. This usually happens when I have a number of materials already (4-5) and try to assign my last ones. It puts them inside of other color ID materials without me telling it to. Normally if I tried to do that myself it would prompt a popup asking me if I wanted to make a material inside another, but this just does it on it's own.

Replies

• Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    do you assign the ID's while creating a new project or afterwards?
    i usually create an empty project first and assign my materials to ID's afterwards using the masking settings.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    I like playing around with different looks so I don't link any at the beginning. I use the color pick to assign materials once the blank project is created.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    well if the colorpick doesn´t work out, just add a regular smart material, edit the mask and choose the material ID there.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    ah yeah that's a good workaround in the meantime, didn't think of that. thanks
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Hm, actually even when I try to do that it randomly puts it inside another material.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @LRoy, are you still having these issues with the latest release?
  • scratchliquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello I also get this problem in version 1.4 and 1.5.
    I only seem to get it when I try to import the smart material Classic Camo Armor, it seems to go into the material last selected.
  • Foursaken_Media
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foursaken_Media polycounter lvl 4
    I've been meaning to bring this up as well... Because you can't move a smart material backwards in the layer hierarchy, once it messes up and puts it in the wrong layer folder, all you can do is delete it, re-apply it, and hope it doesn't stick it in one of the other folders. It can be quite time consuming, especially in big projects that already have 15+ materials.

Some things I've noticed as well, if it helps at all:

- seems to happen usually once you get 3-4+ different layers/folders going.
    - seems to put the new material into either the folder you've currently highlighted, or the one directly above or below that one, automatically.
    - if you click around on a few random layers before creating a new smart material/layer, it often times avoids putting it in another folder; I usually have to alternate between putting new materials on top, on bottom, and in the middle of the layer stack (randomly)...

Doing the material IDs after creating the smart layers can work as a work-around, but if you've got a ton of material IDs that are close in color, it can be quite a hassle making sure to pick the right ID.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay so let me just see if i understand correctly :) Smart materials are created inside other smart materials even when you are not inside that group? and you don´t get the warning "Do you really want to create material inside of group" ?
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Okay so let me just see if i understand correctly :) Smart materials are created inside other smart materials even when you are not inside that group? and you don´t get the warning "Do you really want to create material inside of group" ?

Yup.

I still get this in 1.5
  • scratchliquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Eric Ramberg.

Yes thats is what is happening.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, this was an issue we faced in earlier versions and this is the first time I´ve seen it lately, does it help if you do a clean install and upgrade to version 1.6?
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i just talked to Teddy and he confirmed that this is a bug that he managed to reproduce,
    we´re working on getting this fixed for 1.7, thank you so much for reporting!!