Home General Discussion

hayao miyazaki

yodude87
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
i know, i came late to the party, everybody knows his work, but just... wow. watched spirited away, howl's moving castle and the wind rises. all the three of them, superb works... spirited away had me in real awe, seriously.

ps.: the wind rises deserved way more the oscar than frozen. period.

Replies

• Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    been wanting to see the wind rises.

Make sure you check out his other ones too, my neighbor totoro, porco rosso, castle in the sky, ponyo, etc
  • Higuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    All of his movies are great. Make sure to check out Princess Mononoke and Nausicaa as well (haven't been said yet), as they are two of his most mature works. Totoro, Castle in the Sky, Whisper of the Heart, etc are all amazing too.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    I'm kind of envious of people who haven't discovered the good part of anime yet. You have so much amazing stuff to watch and history to discover.

I'd say the next point of call would be Satoshi Kon (Paprika, Perfect blue, Tokyo Godfathers), then maybe step over into the world of Mamorou Oshii (Ghost in the shell, Jin Roh, The Sky Crawlers)

Of course after the entire Ghibi Discography.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    On a side note, if you like the art style...they made an rpg based around his designs. Story was decent, over all a light hearted game with that twinge of nostalgia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5BE1Vw5B3M
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    *equips armor*

I've never actually finished most of the movies mentioned here, I don't really watch movies or anime that frequently but it's been on my to-do list for a long time now. I've seen clips of all of them every now and then on youtube, I love the animation quality.

I have to binge watch everything next time I get a chance!

Ni No Kuni is an amazing game also, I definitely recommend it to anybody that has a PS3. It might look childish but I bet people of any age group would fall in love with it.

Level 5 announced that they will show off a new JRPG for the PS4 at E3 2015, as well, so get hype!
  • frmdbl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter
    I remember the poster for Howl's Moving Castle' and what impression it made on me.
    Then I watched the movie and it was great.

I never was very much into anime and that sort of stuff, but now I sort of regret I didn't get to play more jRPG or generally japanese style games when I was younger.
  • yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
    its a real shame i dont have a ps3, id definetely give ni no kuni a shot. hopefully i get to play it now im getting a ps4.

about the others work by ghibli/miyazaki, indeed im planning on watching all of his works, and then trying paprika, been hearing so much good stuff about it.

and about the wind rises... damn. its really epic. it was so good that i was watching it, and my father who was nearby joined cos he got curious, and ended up watching until the end. its just beautiful.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    You might really want to see these two :

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNYIb9Ui2T0"]REEL ANIME 2013 - A Letter to Momo Official Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryb3ljgtoMQ"]SUMMER WARS OFFICIAL TRAILER - SCREENING AT REEL ANIME 2010 - YouTube[/ame]

And as far as Miyasaki's work is concerned, I'd heartily recommend Porco Rosso and Princess Mononoke.

Enjoy !!
  • KyJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyJ
    Watch also "Wolf Children" by Mamoru Hosoda( he worked a bit in studio Ghibli but he was replaced by Miyazaki)!
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    He's good, also: Oga Kazuo

He is the man.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    The dude who did wolf children and summer wars also dogs the girl who leapt through time. I slap recommend that
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Hm, only watched Princess Mononoke, and liked it a lot. Was thinking of giving Wind Rises a try, guess i'll have to do just that heh....