Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Death Knights - Lroy vs. itsmario

Replies

• PaulP
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    The last one looks really good, the shadows are working really nice to pull him from the background and ground him in the scene.
  • achillesian
    looks much better to me mario, it was looking to polaroidy before
  • Tetsuo
    Personally I prefer the image with the character on his own, it looks really good. The newer environment ones just kind of detract from the character, and since this is a character competition and your a character artist; for me, if I was looking to hire you I'd much rather have the image of the character alone.

I think if anything else is on the scene, then perhaps just adding just a few single props (maybe even just a couple of those pillars and a smaller stone floor area would look better). Perhaps even the pillars could be turned into an arch in which he stands under, and the wall behind him removed. If you wanted to use that big skull circle thing, then put it in the middle on the outside centre of the arch.

The other thing I noticed which isn't really too much of a concern, but the varying scale of bricks in the scene I think could be worked better. You've got some fantastic detail in the floor with varying depths and so on but the wall looks a little flat and washed out. Perhaps rescaling them to match the pillars (or doing an arch like above). Again, I'm discussing the environment when really its the character I should be focusing on - which looks really great btw.
  • JR
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Man, to be honest, I think the new background is much more distracting than the first one. I agree with the guys that said you could remove it, as this is a char comp, and Lroy leaved his entry without BG. But if you have to keep it, I'd prefer the first, more simple and easy to read.

My idea on paintover was darken the BG, so it won't show more than your char, understand? What I had in mind was darken the ambient, and throw a blue spot light over the char. Like this:

Ball_example.jpg

I thought blue was a good color, as he is a Death Knight, and that icy feeling you mentioned would work in favor of the char, making him more frightening. The light would help adding contrast to the scene and adding emotion for its meaning.

But you can experiment new possibilities. Here's the file I used on Paintover. It's psd with lights on layers, you can experiment changing colors and intensities, until you feel happy.

http://www.mediafire.com/i/?wbr5b2cbqdazni0

Anyway, terrific work, both from you and LRoy. You are great artists for sure, and more important than produce great chars, you had the compromise to start and finish the project. So, my congrats for you both, and I wish best of luck for you. :)
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Mario - I agree 100% with jramauri

LRoy - Probably a little late in the game to mention this but eh, I feel like there's a lot of geometry that's being wasted in some areas like the flat faces of the sword and in some of the tabs(?) of the robes. The spikes on the shoulder bads I feel like those could have just been intersecting geometry.

Either way, you've both come out with some really cool portfolio pieces.
  • jmt
    itismario, this is looking much improved. I agree that the background is much too distracting. I sort of disagree with tetsuo about the floor and wall though. I think that the wall looks good and the floor is too detailed and distracting. The wall has nice little snow bits and is blurred, though maybe a bit too much for the distance behind the character.

Regarding the cape: It looks a lot better than it did in the sculpt. I assume this is due to it being more simplified and black. It isn't hanging down naturally. It sort of looks like there's a breeze pushing it out, but it's happening outwards on both sides of his legs.
  • JR
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Now he looks really sexy, man. Congrats!
  • erroldynamic
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    Nice job guys! They both came out really solid.
  • jordan.kocon
    Offline / Send Message
    jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 6
    This looks awesome! The one thing that bugs me is on the wall behind him there are snow in the gaps between the bricks, but on the pillar there is no snow between the cracks. Thats pretty nit picky though.
  • Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Great work to both of you. It was a lot of fun watching over this thread. :)
  • ablaine
    Offline / Send Message
    ablaine polycounter lvl 14
    Just read through this entire thread... incredible work!! Both of you did really well.
  • LRoy
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks guys. We were thinking of having them posed together but I think we're both sick of looking at them now haha
  • CandyStripes05
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    This looks awesome! The one thing that bugs me is on the wall behind him there are snow in the gaps between the bricks, but on the pillar there is no snow between the cracks. Thats pretty nit picky though.

thats all i can see now ! you ruined it for me : (
    jks, great work on both of them. i like the female one better but that is just because i prefer the concept

perhaps we will see new banners in the near future? : )
  • Mcejn
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    Definitely glad to see they both came out looking really good.

I'd personally like to see some breakdown of the background itself for the Male deathknight, it looks pretty straightforward, but I'm still curious. :)
  • theslingshot
    Wow great job on the characters guys, they look awesome. The male character is one of my favorite this year. There's one thing that bugs me in the scene and it really catches my eye for some reason, maybe cause I'm weird...but it's the chains, they just follow the pillar like there was no weight at the end of it, like if the cone shaped metal weight was lighter then air...way too minor maybe to talk about heh...

But damn your character looks ace! I've shown it to a few people and they all call "paintover" on this...until I show them your turnaround images haha
  • papagersi
    Offline / Send Message
    papagersi polycounter lvl 16
    well done both of you!!!! pleas make a scene that they stand together, awesome guys :D take a rest!!
  • JR
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Hey, you guys aren't going to start a poll, to let us polycounters define the champion? Or you both are like Ryu, you did this just in the sake of karate?
  • seforin
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    if they where like ryu and ken and just did it for the sake of being rivals, im waiting for a dan to come by soon and bite there style :p

Great job you two.

The props you sculpted where great, I like how you still went very painterly with them...but I feel you went to far into the darks and didnt bake out enough maps to showcase off alot of the details you put in (edges, and cavitys) This could be fixed up by lighting up a few of the colors with the overlays. But overall the end result looks great. Your metals look really nice.