Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Warm up fun (deus ex 3 scene)

Replies

• JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Yuh no worries Adam, I just know it's been around a month where I had these presentation shots for the article just sittin so I thought might as well post these up and get moving on to something new.

weopweop
  • ae.
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Looking good broski!!!!
  • paulsvoboda
    Offline / Send Message
    paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 12
    Really great work Jason. Materials read well, colours look great, the pipe on the floor is a nice compositional addition and your normals came out really clear.

Any possibility of seeing your texture sheets?
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Going to GDC, on the banner rotation list. I hate you jay

:)
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    woo way to go jay ^^ (breakdown pics are bazoobs, right in the inspiration folder :poly142:)

and grats on the banner :D
  • Ack Master
    this is really coming along jay :) very nice! cant wait to show you what im working on too :) maybe even i'll starting posting stuff on here. Ahh your always a good inspiration even at work! :D
  • Erik Rönnblom
    Looking great, saved for inspiration. :thumbup:
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Looks great Jason as your stuff always dose.

I know this was a "warm up fun" scene and you dont plan to make any more changes which is understandable but out of all your other amazing work I feel this is your weakest piece.

I know it is based off a piece of concept art but the final product just comes off as really bland and generic sci fi with no character too it at all. You started to give it some character with the cable which is great but then that was it. Which is a shame because all your other work you seem to put a lot of character and charm into them without even having to put a thousand props all over the place.

More of a fault on the original concept it self but the hallway its self is actually hard to read. I am not sure what is just a sci fi wall and what is a door. Or if any of that is suppose to be a door at all. The part with the sideways 9 and the part with Japanese text both look like they could just be a part of a wall or a door. As concept art is always just a base don't hesitate to improve on to get a better final product.

I would also echo what Minotaur0 about the material definition of the metal. One really cool thing missed from the concept is how some parts of the floor are extremely reflective but other metal areas are not. This would have been a great way to break up a metal and paint only scene.

For presentation purposes I actually find the Deus Ex Human Revolution UDK Scene quite distracting. The high contrast draws my eyes too it all the time. I think just the simple layout with concept by, modeling by and your name like on your Demon Thrown/Natural Selection sheets works a lot better. No goofy leafy Deus Ex logo to distract for the sweet work.

Anyway just some food for thought for whatever you do next which I eagerly await :)
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    Whew... do you all think this is ok to call this done? I'm getting to the point where this is wearing off on me, and that's usually when I have to get my ass in gear to finish it off before I pewp my pants.

deusexsceneudk7.jpg

really like the scene but i think it looks kinda weird that the light is still lite up on the pulled up floor tile, think you should just notch that part out of tile, and leave the notched out part with the light as part of the floor that doesn't lift up.
  • Shogun3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Such an awesome scene, really nice job. My only main complaint really is the distracting Deus Ex logo in each shot, I would think it's better placed at the bottom left or somewhere not as noticeable.
  • Kharn
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn polycounter lvl 8
    Great job ! I really like clean environments, they are really under used in games I think.
    The only small point (that somebody may have picked up on allready) is that light on the open pannel problably shouldnt be on considering its disconnected.
  • kinesis
    Very sexy. Any chance of some more close up wire of some of the modular pieces?
  • kary
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    Somehow missed this until now, great piece Jason. The textures are very true to the AD of Deus Ex3, really solid take on the piece :)
  • Inxa
    I saw your website was thrilled to see your work, pretty amazing. I was glad I could drop on this thread to see the entire making of - the hall way (if it can be said so)

Great work, keep it up. Watching your videos for the Deconstructing "DemonThrone"