Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Dota2] – Chen – Tribal Worship

Hello guys and gals! Let me start off by saying, I saw the DotA 2 contest really late. Even though I didn't think I would be able to finish a set in time, I still did some concept art for Chen in my sketchbook. With the deadline extension, I thought I'd give it the ol' college try.

Let's start off with the concept art you've all been waiting for.
Disclaimer: I lost my tablet pen, so it's a bit rough.

This piece is what spawned the rest of the set. I took in some Inca/Aztec/Mayan masks and settled on this fusion. I kinda had Eldorado on my brain after reading through Chen's background. Note: The blue accents will be closer to Chen's blue, this was a quick paint-over.
Tribal%20Mask.png

Second is a cluster of a few things. The bracers will be an 'arm' item, while the armbands and leopard... Cape? Short, shoulder-thingey? (I dunno what to call it, it's late where I am) will fill the 'shoulder' slot... A drape! That's as good a description as any.

concept%20002.png

The next sketch I have is of some ancient weapons. I wanted Chen to have an obsidian edged weapon. They're the first thing you think of when picturing an ancient warrior. I know Chen's a ranged champ, I may convert one of these into a more staff-like weapon. This is the last thing I'll be doing, so I have time to think on it. His base weapon fits well seeing as he has gold accents.

Weapon%20Ideas.png

*All items are simply concepts and subject to change without notice... Or any good reason.

Feel free to throw out some input, I'll be updating this thread regularly with my progress. Especially since there's very little time left. I'll need all the encouragement I can get to finish this on time.

Replies

• marul
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7
    The meso-american style is a nice touch, this may turn out really well if you can blend those with the character. I would suggest you to get rid of the leopard skin though, I don't think it fits in the set. Good luck.
  • agentfx
    this is a nice idea. I'm doing Chen also and I felt like he was peculiarly heard to design for. If you don't finish it for the contest finish it for the steam workshop anyway. There are very few Chen items in the store.
  • Fatman
    agentfx wrote: »
    If you don't finish it for the contest finish it for the steam workshop anyway.

I intended on it, and if I don't get it done in time then I'll probably add to the set before submitting it.
    marul wrote: »
    I would suggest you to get rid of the leopard skin though, I don't think it fits in the set. Good luck.

I kinda agree. The alternate idea was a heavy pendant, so I may go back to that. I just don't want to put them in the 'arms' category due to the heavy restrictions, and the armbands alone aren't that interesting of an item.