Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Dota2] – Doom Bringer – His Unholyness

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
XtzeN.jpg

STEAM Workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=111307271

Hello. My attempt at a Doom Bringer armor set comes from the idea of an unholy priest. I felt enamored with this idea so I went forth to create a skin based upon this thought. The block in for the helmet is almost done. However, I would like an opinion from some people before I set the design in stone. I was having trouble with the design until I saw Joseph DeAngelis's Demon Pope sculpt (http://cghub.com/images/view/106210/).

From that idea I blocked in this.
ejQtK.jpg

I know the actual designs are quite different but I still feel like I should deviate on the idea somewhat. What I am currently wondering is if I should have no eye or eye. The problem is that the eye might make the overall design too noisy. I would prefer to have 3 levels of plates before adding the eye. Here is an alternate view with the eye.

fsEvH.jpg

I also did the tail. This one has a relatively simple idea of a more standard pointed demon tail with a gold ring or two around it. I have to be careful though. The tail has a really low maximum polycount.

ot06U.jpg

Replies

• DanBe
    I digg where you heading with this! Make him scream unholy priest warrior.

If you keep the "eye" rather simple as it is right now, it will work with the design.
    But stay away from adding detail in the eye! Make it a jewel, ruby or just simply
    leave it as a "symbolic" bloddy red eyeshape.

Any Ideas on how you want to move the design to the rest of the armor?

Keep it up!
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Was thinking about a 3rd eye the other day :) nice to see someone taking that on and your handling It very well.

I like it with the eye, tail looks good too.
  • KICKER
    I really like the eye motif. Maybe you can add it in some other places as well to suggest he is "all seeing" I agree with DanBe up there about the details, but maybe you can make it much larger like it was a functioning eye?
  • Mstankow
    Offline / Send Message
    I decided to paint the concept for the pauldrons. Also, I managed to tweak the helmet a little. The sword concept is next. After that I am going to bring the four pieces to completion and only if I have time afterwards, will I create the bracers and belt. Wings are very unlikely to happen unless I get a time machine. Especially since I want all the armor pieces done and ready for import by next weekend.

mKZAA.jpg
  • Mstankow
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the high rez for the first few pieces. I decided to hold off on the sword until I get these 3 pieces baked down to low poly. I have also come up with an idea for sleeves but I wont start that until I know I can finish this all in a week.MZRau.jpg
  • ENODMI
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    Looking good:) Now get back to working on it!
  • Mstankow
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't worry. I've been working on it. Here is the baked version.K9e9R.jpg
  • Mstankow
    Offline / Send Message
    Blocked in the colors. I want to try to see if I can get one of these items imported before I move on to finishing the diffuse. I would love to be able to get the three pieces I have done finished tomorrow so I can start on the bracers. The idea I have is like big priest sleeves. I am scrapping the sword though but it really isn't crucial to the set.ZgnmD.jpg
  • JohnArr
    This is turning out great, keep it up!
  • Mstankow
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. Another quick update. I successfully imported the helmet. First try skinned properly.
    Qr8Yb.jpg

Though I think I might re-do his tentacle hair just in case they reject it cause I grabbed the original hair.
  • ENODMI
    Offline / Send Message
  • JGcount
    feck! Nice job - hope you finish!
  • Mstankow
    Offline / Send Message
    I finished the diffuse for the helmet. Haven't touched the masks yet. I think I will finish the diffuse for the pauldrons and tail first.

czywV.jpg
  • ENODMI
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, once you start messing with those maps it'll really pop! Does his head support self-illumination? That eye needs to glow
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea it does support it, and yea making the eye glow will make this even better.

Posting to agree with ENODMI, I guess and to say you are nailing them colors down. :)
  • Mstankow
    Offline / Send Message
    I finished the painting of the tail and pauldrons. I am wondering though if I should add runes to the pauldons somewhere. Like maybe on the leather tassels or something. Also, the tail and helmet are 100% done but I am too lazy right now to post the screens of those in engine. That will come tomorrow. Hopefully it will mean I will be able to start the sleeves soon. I could do a sword maybe cause I know that I can make one in 12 hours.

7wkCW.jpg
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    Suggestions/critique:

Yea runes on the leather straps would be cool, also when your creating the runes put them in spots were the player will see them most, so the top side of the upper pauldrons would be a good spot since It's a big area and will be visible from a distance how ever big you decide to create your runes.

I'd test putting some along the grey metal pieces if they are oj runes on those pieces they would stand out a lot more, even the inner part of the shoulder armor where his head is, since it is big its a nice spot to hit.

You got a ton of nice spots so play around with them and see what works, also don't forget to play with them masks they make all the difference, pst, reviewing the sword maps will help you figure out things quicker.:)

Minor critic:
    You can brush this off but the "line trimming" on the shoulder design is not very readable (the lines with what looks like a y) especially from in-game I'd say either make the more visible like you had before that deep red/brown or change them up somehow they are very faint and I fear will just be erased from in-game view. I could be wrong and sometimes am, so test everything out before making changes. :)

I like this your putting in a lot of good work, the textures are spot on and I like how you changed up from chains to leather, I was wondering what the hell to add to mine its nice you found something that works with your design.

Designing armor for them shoulders for me anyway is a nightmare.. clipping is horrendous, at least with what I currently have, hope they work out for you.
  • Mstankow
    Offline / Send Message
    $!nz wrote: »
    Suggestions/critique:

Minor critic:
    You can brush this off but the "line trimming" on the shoulder design is not very readable (the lines with what looks like a y) especially from in-game I'd say either make the more visible like you had before that deep red/brown or change them up somehow they are very faint and I fear will just be erased from in-game view. I could be wrong and sometimes am, so test everything out before making changes. :)

Yeah. I will definitely be making sure the trimming reads in the engine. I haven't done so yet for the pauldrons. This will probably be the first thing I will check after work today. For the runes, I do think them being on metal would be the most guaranteed way for them to work. Just mainly as the source material has them on metal.
  • Mstankow
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are the three pieces in engine.hIYgJ.jpg
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    F-yea check that helmet out :) just work on them glows and this is going to be really nice. The pauldrons are reading well enough after all, nice work.

Critic:
    When you get around to It, I don't know which color your using for the leather but perhaps upping the self illumination on the leather only and hitting a good specular on the metal bits will help make that read a bit better.

Also the runes I was thinking maybe on the outside of the pauldrons might be a good spot but you can keep them were they are if you like them their best, I am speaking of the outer metal piece take those and put them on the outside they currently sit on the inside and I almost didn't notice them.

That's all :)

Edit added image:
    in-case you were like wtf is this guy talking about.
  • Pina
    Offline / Send Message
    Pina polycounter lvl 5
    Great ideas here.
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    This is looking fantastic!
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Looking bad-ASS! Love them shoulders and that helm :D
  • ENODMI
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice job, those look perfect in game
  • Mstankow
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the high poly for the bracers. Should I do blue or brown cloth? I prefer the brown as doom bringer's color scheme moves to brown the closer to the ground. Blue is only really seen on the top. The green lines are me just seeing how the runes would look on the exterior. I do think they look better facing outward.

6i9Il.jpg
  • Naso
  • JauntyTunes
    Offline / Send Message
    JauntyTunes polycounter lvl 8
    Sweet Mitchell. I'd say Blue, but only because I feel like the set could use a little extra contrast.
  • P05TMAN
    This is an awesome concept that i'm glad is fleshing out well. I would say blue for the bracers as Jaunty mentioned. Needs to pop more, especially from the most commonly used player view.
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    Agreeing with tunes their is just too much OJ in this armor to be honest so Blue but just my opinion go with which ever you like?
  • Mstankow
    Offline / Send Message
    I chose blue. However, the engine seems to kill blue. I am not changing the color though as it currently matches the color scheme of the character anyway. I personally would have loved to have done larger sleeves with soft body but I don't feel like figuring out soft body and I tested it and it looked terrible without soft body.

BpeeA.jpg

I am now going to do the sword. I was almost tempted to do the belt or wings over this next weekend but I miss having a life. Oh well. Sword should take at least 12 hours so I will be busy with that most of this weekend anyway.
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    That sucks to hear, yea maybe boost up the self illumination on the blues? If it already is, try the opposite. Good luck with the sword can't wait for an update, go go go. :)
  • bugball
  • Mstankow
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't really spend any time today on this. I got distracted by building Ikea furniture.

Anyway, I did a quick brown bracer just to see what you guys think of it. I now prefer the blue one even in its current state. I don't plan on adding any saturation though in order to keep in the color scheme of the character. Anyway, I am going to try to get everything with the sword done to the bakes tomorrow. Swords are easy to do so I'm not really worried though I will need to try to really pull a kick-ass design in order to compete. Also, I need to find a way to get the Dota 2 shader to work.

848t2.jpg
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea man it's hard to get colors going on DB quoteing Billburr "It's so Orange", lol :), I'd go with either one, maybe a lighter leather < more brown in other words or grey?
  • Mstankow
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the block in for the sword. Currently I'm Zbrush sculpting it.

8CowM.jpg
  • Mstankow
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is another quick update. Here is the lp sword with all the bakes and everything but before I do a paintover.

h7sYJ.jpg
  • ENODMI
    Offline / Send Message
  • Mstankow
  • ENODMI
    Offline / Send Message
    Your swords texture reads perfect! Looks exactly like hot iron or steel
  • Mstankow
    Offline / Send Message
    The sword was fun. Though I wish I made the scratches way bigger.
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    I am amazed a little here at how you pulled off the original look at the tip of the blade, how the heck! :) Came out great a nice design if you ask me, gives me a sense of younger version of himself :).