Home Contests & Challenges Archives Arms & Armor, Chivalry: Medieval Workshop

Mason Vanguard - Head Monger's Set

THREAD SHOULD BE CALLED: [Chivalry] – Halberd – Head Monger Halberd

Hi everyone! I have been watching the forums for a while and have finally decided to post, below are some concepts I came up with for the halberd.
I25gBxQ.jpg
I think I stuck pretty close to the mason colour pallet and style with the dark metals and woods. I think it would be really cool to texture the axe head as Damascus steel. I am also a really big fan of Viking and Scandinavian axe and bearded axe head shapes, so I tried to incorporate these into my designs. The concepts look more like long axe’s but the silhouette’s fits the halberds shape. And since Chivalry is missing a long axe I think the halberd fits the bill best. My favourite are 12 and 14 tell me what you guys think and which you like. Thanks for reading and good luck to all the other competitors.

i also mucked up the naming convention for this thread if anyone knows how to change it please let me know XD

Replies

• GRAT0R
    Hello, really nice drawings, my favourites are 4,5 and 8 ^^
  • Nolt
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    Really digging number 9! Ironically... :D
  • Frank the Fish
    started blocking out the shape yesterday thanks for your comments guys i am going to sick with the general head shape that you guys liked i think its best to still trying to decide weather to do the fur rap or not
    1NMcbY8.png
    please share your thoughts :)
  • Frank the Fish
    I started refining the model today. think i will go with the fur rap idea below is a much better version of the above block out
    OI8OAy6.jpg
  • Nolt
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    Just remember for the fur that you can't use opacity maps or double sided materials. Like the direction you're going though.
  • Frank the Fish
    S4oHRyZ.png

hey guys!

since last time i have refined some parts of the model's shape i also UV unwrapped it and made/painted the Diffuse, Normal and Secular Textures in Photoshop, i also baked some normal's for the fur texture. and thanks 9th, it was a pain trying to figure out how to do the fur i tried a lot of different stuff but settled on just using the normal map (its also how the fur is done for some of the barbarian helmets) hopefully what i have will translate well and it will look good in engine.

and sorry its been a while since my last update, i got really sick for a couple of weeks and then had some family issues to sort out. but all better now and over the last few days i have got back to work. i probably will not be able to complete a helmet to a good standard before the deadline but i think i am well on the way to finishing the halberd. I might have to submit it as just a solo weapon item. we will see :D

yLXERSy.pngtS1sm5F.png
    Np9mQNe.png

let me know want you guys think of the textures.
    open to advice and critique! :D

also a shout and and big thank you to Szilard! who allowed me to use pictures he has taken of his Damascus steel axes etc. which i then used and combined to make the texture for my halberd. You should defiantly check out some of his stuff hes does some really beautiful bladesmithing! http://hellize.deviantart.com/gallery/
  • Zelfit
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelfit polycounter lvl 8
    Fur doesn't work now. Try sculpt it in ZBrush.
  • Frank the Fish
    i would love to try but i have never used ZBrush before and its probably getting a bit late to learn. but i might look into it. thanks.
  • Zelfit
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelfit polycounter lvl 8
    Well, in this case try to draw it in photoshop using some hair brushes, there is a lot of them to google. Also cross section of that part looks rectangular, maybe try make it rounder if it helps
  • jackalope
    Offline / Send Message
    jackalope polycounter lvl 11
    You could also look into mudbox. It controls a lot like maya and it is much more intuitive than zbrush. Although in the end zbrush is a better sculpting program.
  • Frank the Fish
    thanks for the advice guys i checked out mudbox at uni today. and you were right it was pretty self explanatory i might use it to improve on the fur detail. but i also just put my halberd into the SDK to see what it will look like, here are some screenshots...
    pIedDyY.png
    SvEtKow.png
    nMcBeUy.png
    CeQopN6.png

i think the fur normals look pritty good as is. let me know what you guys think :D
  • Zelfit
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelfit polycounter lvl 8
    You need to make cutting edge more obvious. At this moment metal part looks like it was just melted but didn't sharpened.
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    I think your blade needs detail to imply that its sharp,at the moment,it seems rather blobby and without form.
  • ambitious_nomad
    Yep add some shine to the blade make it look like it will cut right now it looks like a very dull edge. Other than that lookin good.
  • Frank the Fish
    hey guys i took your advice and added a sharp edge. looks way better thanks for the input
    kbPb2AF.jpg
    also made the blood masks and fixed some seams in the texture
    g5Dlyyt.jpg
    i have also decided to submit the halberd as progress on the helmet is much to slow. i am very pleased with it as this is my first time i have ever properly modeled anything. i am doing a course in game art in the moment at uni and this is my first year. so this competition is the first time i have got to put what i have learnt into practice i have never really done anything like it before. thanks so much for your help and advice guys.

i will still try get the helmet done and submit it separately. but i don't think i will be able to finish it to a good standard on time. but i will still put it up on the workshop after the deadline when its ready anyway.

thoughts and advice is appreciated as always :D

check it out on steam: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=321309194
  • Frank the Fish
    hey everyone. thought i would just pop the images from my final submission in the WIP page as well.

j7kgHN2.jpg
    kbPb2AF.jpg
    eqmC50k.jpg
    zzHAy7c.jpg
    g5Dlyyt.jpg
    E6uhn5z.jpg
    uAQY77P.png

love everyone's submissions! hope we all win! :D