Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci-fi Sick Bay UDK

LATEST:

sickbay01.jpg
sickbay02.jpg
sickbay04.jpg

Howdy, this is my first Polycount thread, I'm pretty stoked to be here!

This is a scene I created a little while ago, and have revisited once or twice as a sort of practice area. I was an environment artist for a while, but for the past couple years my focus has shifted toward lighting. I decided to revisit this scene one last time, with a focus on getting the materials and lighting to a good place.

This scene is intended to tell a simple story, with a bit of an eerie suspense/horror feel. Basically someone has been rushed in here with a major injury, moved to the surgical table, but was unable to be saved. I'm imagining this location is on a water-based vessel(carrier or submarine), so there's plenty of drainage and such to deal with flooding, venting for air circulation, and the wiring is in thick protective coating.

These images are grabbed straight from the UDK viewport, sans post-processing, and the lightmaps are only rendered at medium quality.

WUy1lglh.jpg
BAVnP53h.jpg
JuYmfCXh.jpg
oLQ8ezoh.jpg

Any critique on the materials/textures and lighting will be greatly appreciated. Any other critique is welcome as well, but I plan to focus on the surfacing and lighting primarily.

Thanks!

Replies

• Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Nice man this is cool.

Material wise i'd say a lot of the materials are too matte?
  • Add3r
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    I would agree. Your materials are all one shade of specular. You either didnt use spec maps or you are being way too shy with them. Dont be afraid man! Diffuse is the heart of the texture maps, the displacement and normal maps are pure supportive of the diffuse (not needed, but make a whole crap load of difference in quality, normally for the better - no pun intended), and the specular is that cherry on top. The spec can make or break a scene in my opinion, or just any piece in general.

In this instance, a simple spec pass would REALLY bring this entire scene to life. Your materials (painted metal, bare metal, scratches, glass, etc) are all just blending into one, and really takes away from that initial wow factor.

I like the scene though, and I feel it has a ton of potential. Another thing, feels a little bare. Not really sure the story behind anything at first glance, just feels like a colorful (a good choice btw) sci fi hallway/scene. Fill it in with more props to tell that story, also think about your wear in the scene. Roof tiles are probably going to have very little wear, right now the tiles near the ceiling have equal wear to those where your feet and other objects would be rubbing.
  • serinayd
    Awesome, thanks for the feedback. I'll be messin' with materials starting this weekend. I'll work on addressing some of the wear and tear stuff too. I'll post back updates.

I think once I get the materials and lighting dialed in I'd like to work on set dressing.
  • LiquidSpacie
    It's looking good even tho the colors are washed up
  • gsokol
    Oh snap, welcome to polycount dude!

Pretty much with Add3r, the metal plates look pretty flat. I like the glass. Looks like you have some reflection going on? but its kinda hard to tell in these shots. The panels on the floor read a bit more like metal as well, but orange panels on the walls/ceilings are the biggest culprits for making everything look flat.

Definitely get a nice strong specular on there...using the same orange color in the spec will help make it look a bit more like an orange metal.
  • serinayd
    I spent some time adjusting the materials and lighting today. I also set up a first pass at the post-processing for the scene (some color adjustment, DOF, and bloom).

I appreciate the critique, please keep'm coming!

WIP_SickbayB_01.jpg
    WIP_SickbayB_02.jpg
    WIP_SickbayB_03.jpg
    WIP_SickbayB_04.jpg
  • Dubzski
    Offline / Send Message
    Dubzski polycounter lvl 11
    Wowa that second lot is much better, i was just about to comment that there's many areas that are tooo dark however you addressed that nicely. Awesome scene =).

Crits - I'd say the metal overall is a bit to flat still. & in terms of a Medical bay... traditional imagery utilizes a lot of white/ looks sterile, this looks more like an engineering bay etc. If you are trying to avoid the sterile look, whilst also looks great with dirty stains across it... xD
    Whilst its good to challenge perceptions, it could be worthwhile to include some visual clues so a player immediately understands if only sub-consciously.
  • serinayd
    I started focusing on implementing the intended feel for this scene and I decided the colors I initially chose for the scene weren't working. The red paint on the walls acted counter to the idea that this was a place of healing and recovery. I wasn't digging the palette overall either, the color choices didn't make a lot of sense when I considered what I was trying to convey. So I chose a new palette and made some major adjustments to the scene.

More detail regarding my color choices are on my blog.

WIP_SickbayC_01.jpg
    WIP_SickbayC_02.jpg
    WIP_SickbayC_03.jpg
    WIP_SickbayC_04.jpg
  • serinayd
    Created a look up table for slight color tweaks.

WIP_SickbayD_01.jpg
    WIP_SickbayD_02.jpg
    WIP_SickbayD_03.jpg
    WIP_SickbayD_04.jpg
  • Mathis
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathis polycounter lvl 11
    Switching the colors really was a good choice, looking much better right now. Even so I wouldn't have guessed that this scene takes place on a ship or a submarine. But I think this isn't much of a problem because the overall scene is looking real great.
  • mats effect
    Really like how you have lit the environment, great work.
  • Coridium
    Offline / Send Message
    Coridium polycounter lvl 10
    been cool to follow your various updates, nice to see you continually trying to improve it.

For me... The diffuse work is a little too "generated looking", a lot of the edges of the metal panels have heavy scratching or wear.
    Think about how the panels are used,are object/people are likely to interact with them? (bump into, open, close, etc) if not then there should be less wear/damage on it. Whereas a panel that are opened a lot will have wear around the opening points, screws, handles, general scratches on the surface, etc. For me its just trying to think more about how the various objects in the scene are used and it will help make the individual assets in the scene more believable.

Also the darker surfaces will help display the reflections and specular's more but generally medical rooms are white (or near white) as it is easier to see dirt and therefore easier to clean/keep clean. That being said its can still totally work as a medical bay, I wonder if you can push the graphic design a bit more to help sell the medial theme rather than have to change the colour scheme.

Look forward to seeing more updates, hope you find this feedback useful.

Cheers
    Chris
  • serinayd
    I'm walking away from this project now. I've learned quite a bit during the process, and really appreciate the feedback I received from the forum. Thanks!

I set up a matinee for each of these camera angles that controlled the FOV and DOF per shot, then I captured these screens from that sequence.

sickbay01.jpg
    sickbay02.jpg
    sickbay04.jpg

There are a couple more shots posted here:http://www.chrisclaflin.com/p/sick-bay.html
  • mats effect
    Very nice work I think the lighting and effects really helped nail it.
  • mospheric
    Offline / Send Message
    mospheric polycounter lvl 11
    Enjoyed seeing the process on this. Great work! :P
  • mbischof
    maybe a little more fill light; looks sick tho