Home Technical Talk

Marmoset Toolbag 1.10 Official support thread

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
jeffdr polycounter lvl 11
After last year's positive reception to 8monkey's release of Toolbag, we've decided to make some major additions and updates. Behold, version 1.0:

http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag

For those of you who don't know, Toolbag is a realtime material editor and presentation tool, based on our Marmoset engine. It's a quick way to preview your work in a realtime engine (and we do mean quick). We think you'll find it presents your work in a most flattering way. v1.0 has several new features not present in the previous release, most notably:

* Dynamic light creation and editing
* Saveable scene files (save all your toolbag settings)
* Several new sky lighting presets
* Expanded post effects, including SSAO, DOF, and vignette
* Improved light and shadow accuracy and detail
* Expanded material options, including gloss maps and translucency
* New debug & compositing render modes, preview options
* Greatly improved and reorganized user interface
* A bit of stank on it

And that's just the stuff we can remember. The trial version is a free download so by all means everyone go check it out post-haste. We think you'll like it.

polycount is getting the early heads up here, you guys are the first to hear about this. If there are any troubles with the thing let us know at support@marmoset.co or on this thread.

- The 8monkey Team

camera-dof.jpg

fmg-dynamiclight.jpg

Replies

• jocose
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    omg is right, this looks great. Thanks again for sharing this, lots of artists I know use the toolkit, and now its even better :)
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Whoo hoo, I started using it :D!!
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    jeffdr wrote: »
    For those of you who don't know

Likely a small percentage, Marmoset rivals the UDK in terms of render popularity on this forum I think.

edit: and rightfully so, shit's pretty.
  • Simmo
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 12
    Okay now I just have to get this! UDK for model presentation is a bit clunky and time consuming, this looks amazing
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Frontpaged. Nice one guys, thanks for letting Polycount be the first to know ;)
  • jeffdr
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP wrote: »
    Frontpaged. Nice one guys, thanks for letting Polycount be the first to know ;)

Thanks MoP ;-)
  • NASTRASH
    Offline / Send Message
    NASTRASH polycounter lvl 10
    Wow, thats awesome ! :poly121: I got a couple questions though. Since new free version is 20 day trial, is it illegal to use old marmoset ? I can't check it right now, but like to know does it support glow/emmisive maps ? Last thing is there going to be animation/particle exporter for 3ds max ?
  • Tom Ellis
    I'm gonna drop myself right in the firing line and be 'that guy' now...

Why the expiration on the watermarked version?

Let me just clarify that yes, the model viewer is awesome, produces fantastic results (even on my crap), and I appreciate that a lot of people worked hard on it. But I'm curious as to why an individual would pay $50 for a model viewer/presentation tool, when UDK / Xoliul's shader does the same thing for free. Admittedly some stuff does look nicer in Marmoset, but whether it looks $50 nicer, I'm not sure.

I mean yeah, for volume licenses, or unmarked versions then a $50 one time seems realistic, but to limit the use of the watermarked version to 20 days seems like an odd decision.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I think the $50 price is to compete with the 3 point shader.
    http://www.3pointstudios.com/3pointshader_purchase.shtml
  • Tom Ellis
    ZacD wrote: »
    I think the $50 price is to compete with the 3 point shader.
    http://www.3pointstudios.com/3pointshader_purchase.shtml

Yeah I guess, although the free version of 3Point doesn't expire.

I dunno why but I always assumed a lot of the guys from 3 Point were also involved in 8Monkey Labs too...
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    I was so happy and excited when i saw this thread, im glad it could be destroyed so quickly when i saw that theres a price on it. Not going to even bother with the 20 day trial, ill get sucked into it and be even more bummed when i cant get it. The most valuable free software to any modeler just got more awesome and it now is no longer the free godsend that it was before. It prances off in the mist just like any other paid software and no longer stands out from the crowd as freeware. Of course i can go back to the old toolbag, but it wont be the same knowing theres something more amazing.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    @Creation22 neither does the older version of the toolbag

Frell, You're so dramatic, I like it.
  • jeffdr
    Offline / Send Message
    @frell: How dare you sir. How dare you.

But seriously we weighed a bunch of options for the free/lite/trial version, and we came up with this. We feel with all the work we've been putting into the tool a little love needs to come back to us. We were drunk, or something, I dunno. If everyone truly hates the current evaluation setup then maybe we'll reconsider, but not yet.

And as far as the old version, well it's not really supported by 8monkey. Actually, it was never really supported by 8monkey. :\ But you are of course free to keep using it.

The new version does support glow/emmissive maps, among many other things.

And yea we know some of the 3point guys and have worked with them, but we're not the same studio.
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    That IBL is SHIT HOT. Its so nice to see matte surfaces looking that hot :D
    Id love to know if 8Monkey are using this renderer/shading system in production or if its just a pimped out setup for previews

Frel: Dont be a plonker, next to the price of all the other tools a 3D artist uses everyday this is peanuts. Especially considering how important good presentation is.

Is the pay version Node locked or can you install it on multiple systems, using only 1 at a time.
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Looks great guys, really nice changes by the sound of things. But that 50 dollar price point is too high for me when UDK is free, or old Toolbag, or Max viewport shaders. 25 bucks and I would have got it but 50 for me personally isnt a reasonable investment. Feel the same with 8monkeys shader.

But to each his own.
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    you mean 3Points shader :)
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Id much prefer a lite version rather than a trial :P
  • jeffdr
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    Is the pay version Node locked or can you install it on multiple systems, using only 1 at a time.

Pay version is node locked, but we provide a tool to switch the license between machines if you need to.
  • build.
    Offline / Send Message
    build. polycounter lvl 11
    Like the new love this is getting. :poly142:
  • ErichWK
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    At first I was like >=( when I read you had to pay for it...

...then I actually opened it up and played with it... And I will admit it. You guys REALLY deserve the money for it. You've figured out how to make an awesome product even more awesome. The new interface is great, I love adding new lights.. I love all the new options. I'm gonna use up the free trial..and probably gonna force myself to drop the money to buy it. I applaud! Thanks again, guys.
  • elte
    Offline / Send Message
    elte polycounter lvl 18
    :( 50 buck? Im not earning USD and to convert it is pain the ***
  • BeatKitano
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    Very cool, i liek the new light capacity, shadows are working better on my end.

I have one remark tough, i use d1save script for photoshop to save multiple tga maps from one psd with layergroups. And by default it saves with compress (rle) on.

Apparently, toolbag doesn't suport compress (rle) option in tga files, and it's kind of a bother to uncheck that everytime you save. manualy :( (because the script is on always)

Oh and i saw the psd support, pretty cool too, but if your file is kinda heavy it's slow to see the result, tga is way better combined with auto reload texture on..

[EDIT] I edited the script so it works now, but it would be kind in to have toolbag support it in a next version, just to avoid that kinda worries.

For those who have the same problem: edit d1vSaveTGA.jsx and add "tgaSaveOptions.rleCompression = false" (without quotes) after the "tgaSaveOptions.alphaChannels = false" line
  • Ark
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome stuff. Didn't use the original much, as you couldn't add any lights and this was a killer for me for environment work and i see you now added this functionality :) Is there any vertex colour blending supported, for blending between textures?
  • solar
    Offline / Send Message
    solar polycounter lvl 18
    Can you save out a video of the turntable or do you have to use FRAPS or something similar?
  • Unleashed
    Offline / Send Message
    Unleashed polycounter lvl 19
    is the fingerprint thing locked to a certain set of hardware(not too keen on this). i dont suppose you guys could sell it via steam, like darkest of days?
  • quyeno
    Offline / Send Message
    quyeno polycounter lvl 17
    I've used the free version briefly and was wondering if the full version could be used for environments made up of lots of seperate objects?
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    Node locked means tied to your hardware. Like they said there is a tool for moving the license.
  • boyluya
    Offline / Send Message
    boyluya polycounter lvl 10
    Does it already have support for glow maps?

edit: saw the post, it already does
  • Firebert
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    is it a consecutive or non-consecutive trial base?

the lights are great and easy to setup. love it, love it, love it. more than worth the money for the hard work IMO. great job.
  • neigan
    Nice update, however i can't get emissive to work correctly.
    The desired area is lit when it's dark, but it doesn't actually produce that glow fog/halo around it. I can up the bloom to get the effect but then I also get it in unwanted areas.

Will buy it when I get some cash :P
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    $50 is peanuts considering how awesome this is and that people would happily pay more for a game which will have a much shorter lifespan imho.
    Great job guys!
  • dmightyone
    Offline / Send Message
    dmightyone polycounter lvl 12
    indeed great value for the money, u guys have done a wonderful job with it! totally woth it!!
  • Racer445
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    watching this progress has been a joy. i really really like the new feature set!

-PSD's take a little bit to load, but it seems like it works well.
    -Dynamic lights! I can finally add a rimlight to compliment the ambient lighting.
    -GLOSS YES YES YES
    -The new cubemaps are great! Riverside ambience is really, really good. It seems to be missing some of the old ones, though.
    -Bloom is finally nice and smooth. No more choppies,

marmo.jpg
  • Tom Ellis
    Damn that looks nice Racer.

I take it back about the price, I just downloaded the trial and suddenly the $50 became irrelevant! Very very cool.

I strongly suggest anyone who is unsure to give it a try.

Now I just wanna model guns though :D
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Really great work with this update guys! I tried it for a couple hours and bought it. It has all of what made the previous version awesome but adds everything it felt like it was missing before and more. The custom lighting on top of the cubemap ambient is fantastic. The DOF too. It's a lot more polished and user friendly as well. A definite improvement all around and easily worth the price.

I'm actually redoing my portfolio right now and I'm excited to get some new renders done of old models using this new version. :)
  • BigErn
    Offline / Send Message
    BigErn polycounter lvl 11
    Hey jeffdr, Great news about Marmoset, I posted the same thing on CGtalk, just wondered if there was any chance of a 'unemployed artist' status for Marmo? As I`m sure if I had money to spare, I would get marmoset to use for a engine viewer etc.. just cant justify it atm. :/
  • boyluya
    Offline / Send Message
    boyluya polycounter lvl 10
    Hey guys, how to make my glow/emissive to "actually glow?" Right now it's just acting like a self-illumination.
  • Tom Ellis
    boyluya wrote: »
    Hey guys, how to make my glow/emissive to "actually glow?" Right now it's just acting like a self-illumination.

I'm wondering this too.

I'm assuming it's pretty tricky to achieve in shader language (although I know absolutely nothing about shader language) as I think Xoliul was saying the 'glow' is kinda a post-effect that's usually handled by the engine rather than the shader whereas the shader emissive just controls the amount of SI.
  • Racer445
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    Turn the emissive intensity up then play with the bloom settings in the post tab. That's all you can do I think.
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Maybe allow backwards compatability for the old sky env maps would be nice or maybe some kind of work around to use them as well.
  • jeffdr
    Offline / Send Message
    @BigErn: we feel for folks in that situation, but as of right now we don't have a discount for unemployed or students. I don't know that we ever will, but 8monkey will at least think on the socio-economic implications of price discrimination for a while.

Some details on how the emissive is rendered vis a vis bloom. Since bloom is part of the post effects pipe, it uses the full color render result as input (any pixel can bloom). Some engines use the emissive channel as the sole input to the bloom function and that would give the kind of control over the effect that I think some of you are after (but you would lose bloom on brightly lit surfaces or spec highlights). For better or worse, marmoset doesn't work that way.

What you can do, however, is what Racer suggested and mess with the bloom settings in the render tab. Of particular importance is the bloom gamma, which is an exponent applied to the color signal input for the bloom. Higher numbers here will "tighten" the bloom to just the brightest spots of the image.

Edit: another idea. You can take separate shots of the emissive channel and diffuse/specular, and composite them in photoshop however you like (see the Render>View menu) . A bit of a hassle but would give you a lot of control on how things are composited.
  • Zelenkov
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelenkov polycounter lvl 9
    Hey I got a problem. I got a 64 bit Vista and the old toolbag works great on it, but I downloaded and installed the new trial and every time I run it, it gives me this access violation error....? I'm not sure where I went wrong.
  • jeffdr
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelenkov wrote: »
    I got a 64 bit Vista and the old toolbag works great on it, but I downloaded and installed the new trial and every time I run it, it gives me this access violation error....? I'm not sure where I went wrong.

What are your system specs? Are your graphics drivers up to date? I'm running vista 64 and I'm one of the guys who wrote the blasted thing so it should work.
  • Zelenkov
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelenkov polycounter lvl 9
    I have ATI HD 5870 8 gb of ram Vista Ultimate. I just got this computer like a month ago and installed the old toolbag with no problem along with all the requirements for it. Are the drivers same ?
  • neigan
    Since this now costs 50$, will you be updating it from time to time? Like fixing a "real" emmisive?
  • mod
    Offline / Send Message
    mod polycounter lvl 11
    Looks awesome. Anyone tried placing lights in the scene? I noticed that the widget is acting kinda weird, I mean sometimes I can grab the arrows, move and rotate the light around, but sometimes it seems that it just doesn`t work and no matter where I click.
    Anyone encountered anything similar?
  • snow
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    I experienced shadow issues with an older version of Toolbag using an ATI 5870. I heard Ati cards didn't handle shadows well, has this been fixed?
  • Aaron_Fang
    Offline / Send Message
    Aaron_Fang polycounter lvl 17
    Really awesome update!!
    One question here: I didn't find any slider to change the skylight(IBL) intensity. Do we have this kind of function?
  • jeffdr
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, we will release updates periodically, and I'm already working on fixes for a point release.

@mod: known bug, the FOV slider control seems to break the light selection and manipulation, as you describe. Setting the FOV to exactly 60 degrees is a workaround for now, this will be fixed in future builds.

@snow: We saw some artifacts on the Radeon 5000 series as well, but this was for the old shadow algorithm. The new version might give you better results. If it doesn't, or if there are still artifacts, let us know.

@Aaron_Fang: Skylight exposure slider is a good idea, I think we missed that one. If you're game for it you can edit exposures in the .env files manually (base/sky/*) if you'd like to change exposures on the light. But the slider is another easy change that we'll throw in the next update.
  • haikai
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    I liked Toolbag a lot, and things have improved a lot since the initial release. I did have shadow problems with the old Toolbag using an ATI card, but it seems to be better now.

Is there some documentation available? It's a pretty straight forward viewer, but there are some things that I'm not sure how to tweak. I'm having trouble getting the anisotropic shader to look the way I expect it to, and I figure it probably requires a direction map, but I'm not sure how to create one or what kind Toolbag expects to see. I can tell what most of the settings are doing just by testing them out, but I would also love to have abbreviated descriptions somewhere to better understand how to properly tweak them.

*EDIT: sorry, I'm an idiot. I see the documentation now, though I would still be grateful for more detailed information.

I wish we had access to some of the shader functions such as being able to adjust the color of the SSS effect on the SkinEnvironment.

The depth of field effect is nice. It would be great if we could set a focus mark on the model and then have Auto Focus be a toggle so that it would continually set the focus distance for you as you zoom in/out.

Thanks for releasing this. I'll probably get a full license of it soon.