Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

n88tr's art dump thread

Replies

• n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I created a spec map in PS following a tutorial but I'm not sure where to plug it in Maya.

Normal map made in PS from the diffuse didn't turn out all that good so I'm thinking I'll do it the traditional way.
  • n88tr
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Rogue One wrote: »
    nice to see you are making an effort at getting better but dude your website just made my face bleed http://cahemdue.net/forum_1c.html :poly127:

oh man.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am taking my final major class and I am starting my indep study project this summer to get a bit of a jump on it. HOPEFULLY I will get the project 80% done [that is my goal, realistic or not] before I meet with my prof for the first class. The reason I want to get most of it done is because my prof isn't qualified at all to help me with the project. He teaches photoshop and digital photography and admitted to me he wouldn't be able to help me with my 3d indep study project at all so it's all on me. He approved my idea for the project which is:

a medieval scene complete with a castle, various people, props and horses [he wants me to animate them which gives me a panic attack just thinking about that]. The big picture is a castle scene with people doing stuff, like buying cloth or spices and horses pulling carts. I'm GUESSING he thinks in the very end it will be a spin around video demo thing.

Authenticity is a big thing so no steam punk sort of stuff. I'm not sure how anal he wants me to be, I can email him and find out. I mean I'd love to make stuff up in like the spirit of the world but not make it crazy arty like WOW you know?

I need to learn over the summer proper unwrapping, texturing and normal map generation. I don't know what generation of tech he is expecting but obviously it can't look like DOOM 1. I'm thinking like the Return to Castlewolfenstein, that sort of dark look to things. I mean I don't know if he wants me to try and get a spec and AO and cavity maps on everything. Realistically I have bitten off way too much than I can chew but throughout my college career I have always done that and succeeded, despite that you people repeatedly tell me I'm a complete moron.

Anyways I am gathering proper references and trying to plan out in my head what the scene will look like. I want to start blocking out things tonight after I move out of the dorms today.

Wish me luck and I will be posting more in the future with this thread.
    I am going to look for some tutorial dvds now. Like Eat3d, DigitalTutors or something. If I F up my indep study, I cannot re-take it and really then I have to change my major which is like super major you know? lol
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It sounds to me like you have given yourself way, way too much work. Creating a large building, props, and a few characters is months of full time work for an industry veteran. I would really try to scale it back if I were you. Rigging and animating characters is completely out of the question if you haven't done it before, you're talking weeks-months just to learn how to do it.

If at all possible think more along the lines of a small scene, a medieval weapons shop or something as you have more experience making weapons. One character(shopkeeper) at the absolute max. Modeling, uving, baking, texturing, lighting and setting up even a small scene like this will eat up a lot of time, especially if you've never finished a scene like this before. Make it a weapons shop right outside of a castle(not to stray to far from the original plan), so you can have a partial castle wall represented behind the shop, but not the massive amount of work(months) that it would take you to build and texture a full castle.

How does it need to be presented? Do you need to walk around it/demo it as if its a "level"? A fully working(even just so you can walk around in it) level can be a massive amount of work. If at all possible concentrate only on what needs to be visible for presentation, creating a "facade" instead of a level.

It sounds like neither you nor your teacher understand the amount of work involved in this, so I would really step back and re-evaluate it. Its better to bring up the fact that this is totally unrealistic to accomplish now, than 2 weeks before it is due.

The first thing you will need to do is make a FAST and basic blockout of the entire scene, all the buildings, props, characters etc need to blocked out with basic modeling(primitives etc). From there you will need to make a list of all assets, and write down a time estimate for each require asset. Be realistic with yourself when coming up with time estimates, pencil in MORE time than you think it reasonably would take to account for any problems that may occur, pencil in a TON of time for things you've never done before. To pull something like this off you will have to diligently stick to a plan.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    If your teacher admits that he isn't qualified to help with the 3D aspect, then he probably isn't qualified to estimate the time-sink that all of that is.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    wow yeah that would be a huge feat even for the fastest modelers on this forum to get done. Seriously listen to what EQ suggested...
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    work on the castle, wip obviously

castle_1_by_cahemmy123-d50zbz5.png
    castle_2_by_cahemmy123-d50zc1u.png
    castle_3_by_cahemmy123-d50zc52.png
  • RogerP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogerP polycounter
    You say your teacher is not qualified to advise you on 3D, but your are obviously not qualified to take good advise.

Don't be stubborn and follow the tips this guys are giving you...my two cents :)
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I'm listening
    doing rest of castle block out now

plan on the castle, a wall around it that contains a few simple merchant shops and a few milling people.
    maybe a a big tree or two
    that's my goal at least

watching a bunch of DT videos in my free time basically trying to spend most of my free time learning this stuff till my brain falls asleep and then I start over again
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    why are you making a HP of the castle? it makes no sense. Unless it's going to be small or like a table top type of thing.

Edit: really read the advice that EQ posted. It's great advice.
  • SPYFF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SPYFF polycounter lvl 10
    Nice small castle! Just one brotip: use the Photoshop CameraRAW plugin for remove noise from render pictures. But i nothing say, if you keep noise the part of design :)
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am making a HP of the castle because I plan to bake details to a low. Have yet to add details to the HP like bricks, rivets, etc.
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    There's a much better way to go about building the castle. Try making it modular with a tiling brick texture. You can make each tower a separate piece of geo, along with that front wall and all those towers and what not and just build it out of those pieces in UDK. It will save you a lot of time. Don't make the castle one single piece of geometry
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    n88tr wrote: »
    I am making a HP of the castle because I plan to bake details to a low. Have yet to add details to the HP like bricks, rivets, etc.

Yea, like Sukotto said, thats just not a good way to build it...unless its smaller scale...like a toy model or something.

Thats thinking more like a prop artist than an environment artist...you can't uniquely unwrap/bake/texture everything.

You would probably want to use modular pieces, maybe make high poly pieces for the bricks and whatnot...or just use tiled textures.

Honestly, making a solid looking wall piece and ignoring the rest of the castle while focusing on your shops might be the best thing you can do.
  • RogerP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogerP polycounter
    Yeah I'm listening
    doing rest of castle block out now

I fail to see this when the advise given was to start with something smaller, like a single shop and merchant instead of building the whole thing...be realistic, specially since you're learning as you go.

This is already going down hill by the way you are building the castle...
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    It is a lot to take on.

If it was game development you're talking a team.

concept artists, prop artists (doing small props), character artist, texture artist, level layout, level detail....

But going modular can save a ton of work. 1 character and 3 heads...1 hairpiece, 1 helmet, etc...

I'd to the same with the castle pieces. Make one tower, bake it or whatever you decide (tile textures, etc...)

But you said you were going to try and stay Authentic. You need to look at some real castle refs. While the tower might look pretty cool I don't think it looks like an authentic design.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What do you mean by modular?

I'm not using UDK, never used it, don't even really know what it is. afaik it's a render engine for scenes. Somehow related to Unreal game series...

Working on blocking out the scene, maya is crashing on me. Figuring on using my tower from now on. Not sure if it will help a ton but I hope so.

one of my ref images as for where I want things placed. Obviously less buildings on the hillside and no huge tower
    Spring_Sunset_by_andreasrocha.jpg
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Not trying to sound like an asshole - but how can you have 1.2k posts on this site and not know what UDK is and not know what modularity is?
    I think you should go to the wiki and have a decent read through all the environment modelling info before you spend any more time on this castle.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok I skipped ahead and am reading UDK materials from the site
    seems complicated

and watching this video
    think it'll be a good reference guide?
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7MJTYLePF8"]Maya to ZBrush to UDK - Part 25 - Bringing in the mesh and setting up the material. - YouTube[/ame]
  • Tim270
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tim270 polycounter lvl 6
    If you have not gotten familiar with modularity I guess take a look here;
    http://wiki.polycount.com/CategoryEnvironmentModularity?highlight=%28\bCategoryEnvironment\b%29

Looking at your ref you could get away with having your spire mostly unqiue (still using smaller modular chunks) and the dome. The other buildings however is going to be wayy too much to do for a unique environment and you will 100% need to plan it out ahead if you are ever going to finish it. Also you will need to sculpt a terrain.

Is the actual scene going to be composed like it is in the ref? if you are going for exactly the same camera angle you could easily cut the tri count of what you are already doing and put it on very small tex sheets if it really is going to be seen from a distance like this, but I get the feeling it is not?

Either way good luck but I would strongly consider what other posters have said and go for something much smaller and modular based. Dont run before you can walk.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A really simple explanation of modularity is just using one piece as many times as possible.

For an ai you can use one body, but have pieces of armor to make many ai from it.

For a building you can make a wall section. Then make a copy and add a window. Since the first wall is already uv mapped and textured you save time. Then make another and add a door.... Then you can slap them together in any combination.
    That's very much how most game editing is done.

UDK is unreal Engine Dev kit. It is a very indepth engine (I haven't used that one yet myself). But it is basically a simple 3d editor (you make the walls of the castle and ground, the main play area, then you slap on models to decorate. door frames, window frames, stairs...) and then it will have scripting tools etc for making a playable game.

Not great for making models, but really good for base terrain and game stuff. Models make it look pretty.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm going to try to bake one of my towers. I added bricks to it, a window frame, roof tiles etc and just having it in Maya all HP makes the program lag a lot and also crash from time to time.

I have also made other pieces like a curved bridge, other walls, etc

Focus on baking the towers and bridge if I get time for the bridge
    Set up my tower in my room and install Maya, UDK and Marmoset and get serious
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    why udk and marmoset? pick one and stick with it.
    and the low fps in maya can be rectified using a modular approach. One HP piece, One LP piece, once the bake is done discard the HP and assemble the LP pieces.
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    You may want to focus on just having a tiling brick texture for all the walls. It will save you a bunch of time.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok thanks

I was thinking of UDK to set up my model and assign textures, normals etc
    but do rendering and final product display in marmo

unless that makes no sense?
  • zakhar2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zakhar2 polycounter lvl 6
    Why would you do all that work in UDK only to throw it all away?
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what do you mean throw it all away?
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Probably in regards to building in UDK should include the final render in UDK. Rendering the final in marm after all that would be like throwing it away.

I'm more concerned this is out of your scope. Through this thread there seems to be a lack of baking knowledge of basic props, even smoothing groups, yet tackling a whole castle with no knowledge of modularity, realtime art, UDK, etc. You need about a year's worth of practice before such a huge scene is accessible to you.
  • -Joe-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I noticed all the models in the low are triangulated
    Do my lows need to be that way to work in UDK or no?
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh great
    i tried to install udk but it says it needs an internet connection???
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok nevermind
    doing good so far i think
    beyond i still can't properly unwrap and object in maya...

got about 2 gigs of udk tut videos
    pretty helpful

a few questions later i will ask but i think i made good progress today

pics of my bridge in a bit. imported to udk and all that but shows up screwy with the white and purple texture on it.
    i saw a bunch of the material editor videos but i never saw him select the object and assign the material to it in the videos, he was always applying the materials to a primitive shape like a cube or sphere. i'd love to know after i import a mesh how i assign a material to it. ??
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Double click your mesh in content browser to open the viewer window, select your material in the content browser then hit the green arrow.

material.JPG
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok good I will try that
    I have made up a simple texture for my bridge but dunno how it will fit on the object in UDK. Give it a go
    also have to make a dirty normal from my texture, I have that tutorial around here somewhere

post up pics of Maya bridge later on today

also registered on UDK epic forums. take a while for them to OK my account but then I'll be getting it done right

EDIT Bridge Pics added
    castle_bridge_1_by_cahemmy123-d51kbfu.png
    castle_bridge_2_by_cahemmy123-d51kbnf.png
    castle_bridge_3_by_cahemmy123-d51kbu5.png
    castle_bridge_4_by_cahemmy123-d51kbxa.png
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    playing in UDK some more I realize I need to pretty much redo all my work in Maya and really do the modular approach
    it took me about 3 days thinking about it to realize what I need to do to make this project come together
    instead of questioning WHY this and WHY that I need to just work within the conventions already established

I have successfully unwrapped, normal mapped and applied diffuses to several wall pieces in maya and hope to
    redo the meshes in maya in a modular fashion and then assemble them in UDK
    things are coming together quickly now
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Generated a quick diffuse, normal and specular for a 1 plane rectangle
    I plan on duplicating these inside UDK and use them as walls

brickwall_mapped1_by_cahemmy123-d520zsq.png
    brickwall_mapped2_by_cahemmy123-d520zvx.png

I am re-building the castle now in a modular way

hope to show more soon
  • -Joe-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its looking fantastic!

But I dont think a medieval castle will have colored bricks like the one you're working on now and it's a little uniformed.

IMO, i think it should look abit like this
    400-04237876w.jpg
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joe no image is loading for me
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    It doesn't tile.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it tiles I just have 4 planes there and i duplicated them
  • CrackRockSteady
    it tiles I just have 4 planes there and i duplicated them

I think he meant it doesn't tile *properly*. You can tile planes side-to-side infinitely but it is still going to have seams if the texture doesn't tile properly at the edges.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I also question the tiling (sorry), but the 8th brick down on the left side is half a red brick. 8th on the right side is mortar. and I don't see a matching brick in that row (unless it's off the right side somewhere).

In which case I'd just got it sloppy presentation as that none can tell that it does in fact tile. Which imo would be the point of showing it.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    I may be wrong here but I thought that if the texture tiled then it would continue seamlessly across the planes?

Also creepy avatar man....

edit.....beaten to the punch not once, but twice (that will teach me for looking up how to spell seamlessly :D).....still creepy avatar though
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    it tiles

No it doesn't. Even if i could be bothered to line them up properly..
    3F8re.jpg
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    No, it doesn't.

N88R_doesnt_tile.jpg

You can clearly see that some of the bricks have a very different size from all the others, and the colors don't flow nicely across the seams either. It doesn't tile.

edit: hah, Skillmister, you thought what I thought while I thought up those thoughts.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So it's not perfect? No big deal
    That's the least of my concerns to be honest. I know the normals, diffuse and specs work and look good in UDK so that's all I'm worried about. The modeling is not bothersome, mostly working in UDK is.
    I still need to watch an a55load more of tutorials. Heck, I don't even know how to duplicate objects.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    You should probably fix that tiling first. Anything you apply that to will have nasty seams and will generally not look like a wall.

Also it'd be better to redo it entirely in the right style. Those bricks are pretty modern for a castle.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bricks were just a map test to make sure they'd work
    I have cobblestones with generated normals, spec, etc

Thinking about HOW to make the modular castle. After I get done thinking I'll re-create the castle.