Home Contests & Challenges Archives Arms & Armor, Chivalry: Medieval Workshop

[Chivalry] Agatha Knight - Pride of Irilla (Sword of War)

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Pariah polycounter lvl 4
Hey guys!

I’m a long-time chivalry player so I’m absolutely stoked about this competition, going to try my hand at creating a new model for my favourite weapon, the Sword of War (SoW)

I’ll be working off historical replicas of swords from the medieval era, predominantly looking at 13th-16th century longswords and bastard swords, as well as early rapiers and estocs in order to develop a sword that is both true to the game, historically accurate and practical in its design.

The SoW in game is predominantly used as a piercing weapon, with an emphasis on thrusts over slashes and cuts, and as such I will aim to reflect this in the sword’s design, without changing the overall profile of the sword too much, as from a players perspective one needs to be able to identify a weapon quickly in the midst of battle.

For the blade, I’ve decided to go for a slightly tapered look, with a diamond cross section and a fine point, reflecting the strength needed to pierce plate and chain-maille. I'll be retaining the ricasso from the original blade's design which should hopefully make it easier to identify when compared to the longsword.

Most of the work will be done on the hilt, as this is the only part of the weapon that I feel can be changed considerably without having a dire effect on the weapons identification in game. As such, I’m going to use a full two handed grip, adding a bit more length to the hilt than the original model, as the whole gripping half the shaft and half the pommel thing really irks me (sorry Torn Banner ;-;).

A subtle S curve will be used on the crossguard, whilst the pommel will have a somewhat flanged shape, however this might change depending on how creative I feel like getting haha.

Hopefully all this should give the weapon an elegant yet battle-ready look that fits into the game!

Should have some blockouts up in the next few days provided I can find enough spare time between uni/work commitments.

Replies