Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Young Squire Cartoony character.

:)Hey guys, I did this quick sculpt, a day or so of work. I'd be interested in some C&C if you guys dont mind.

This is basically what the title of the thread suggests: A young squire who wants to go on big adventures but isn't ready for it. I might have to revise some proportions. I intend to drop this guy in Marmo. He's also in need of a sword (made of wood) a shield and a helmet (basic adventuring 101).

Thank you in advance for your time :)

eyy1.jpg

Replies

• BlenderCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlenderCube polycounter lvl 7
    References of similar characters or what you are aiming to achieve please. :)
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Nice design! 2 little things are bothering me; the forearms and upper arms are the same thickness. I'd make the forearms a bit thinner, or taper them more. And the way you sculpted his pants it looks like his calves are bigger than his thighs.

Other than that he looks great, looking forward to seeing the finished character :)
  • dr grim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, quick update taking into account your suggestions...

Splitting elements atm.

0976ff1d5df4524fea35f80a5f685eb3.jpg
  • Twotents
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Twotents polycounter lvl 4
    That is a whole lot of creepy mixed with a whole lot of "Nawwwwwww cute" :P
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    I love that little guy!
  • dr grim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Every knight needs a horse...here's a quick prototype.

072dda1a1cf77b407e94017fe766ef4c.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    dr grim wrote: »
    Every knight needs a horse...here's a quick prototype.

I think the word you were looking for was 'companion' :P And that companion is super cute !!
  • dr grim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Had little time to work on him but it's getting there. Canine anatomy is a first. Had to watch Bolt to understand some of the shapes better.

Hm, he's gonna need a name.8dc5dd1e4c69828b86785e0dc4265ead.jpg
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    aww that's a really cute dog :D
  • SaboR1996
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    I think the dog should be the hero, and the boy can be the sidekick
    or even butler, but these look great! Can't wait to see textures!
  • Jigsaw3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really nice work man :)
  • dr grim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2s0l6au.jpg

Re-working to something simpler and more cartoony.
  • dr grim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking at my previous attempts I realize how little I understood of cartoony characters, sigh...I must have watched like 5 kid movies since if not more. Let's hope I turned this around because I confess to be ashamed but I rather not delete those pics. Gotta learn to live with sucking, we all do, at a point.

Edit: No, that sucked too much. I rather not let them live (the old pics).

259k2zk.jpg
  • dr grim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fxulmx.jpg

2w67wgl.jpg

2mfly7o.jpg

e71q1w.jpg

inai5e.jpg

What a hair-mare...
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Very nice, its very clean, what did you do to generate it?
  • dr grim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex wrote: »
    Very nice, its very clean, what did you do to generate it?

Not sure I get what you mean? I laid down about 150 strands and used GMH2 + distribution ramps.

The scene is too big for Vray, so some raycasting errors are showing. Also, I killed the spec on everything, it was driving me insane.

The renders are LOW quality but you get the idea.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Very nice hair there. Great job.
    Heard great things about GMH2. Gotta try it soon now.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Whoops, all the talk of baking I didn't realize it was a render, thought it was marmoset. Do you have a plan for getting it into something realtime?
  • dr grim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern wrote: »
    Very nice hair there. Great job.
    Heard great things about GMH2. Gotta try it soon now.

Thx a lot!

GMH2 is great indeed. This script allows me to see what I am doing as I am doing it, you get instant feedback which is priceless IMO. There are a few tricks to it, some such as secondary styles I have yet to play with. All things considered, it was my first time getting into Maya so it took longer for me to get anything done. I am sure other Maya users could have done that faster and better.
  • dr grim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex wrote: »
    Whoops, all the talk of baking I didn't realize it was a render, thought it was marmoset. Do you have a plan for getting it into something realtime?

Well, I have to finish this dude fast and I think I am closer to a Vray render than a Marmoset render. Can't say Maya treated me nice early on although we're getting over it (but I can't wait to get back to Max).

I don't see myself painting the transparency of 140 pieces. I have had enough of hair for a while even though the learning experience will be of help to do proper hair for an anatomy study I had done a while ago.

In the end it was my fault, I assumed I could bake. Next time I'll use your baking trick which btw I think you should forward to the author of GMH2, maybe there's something to be done to make things faster.

Among ideas -putting aside saving ramps- I am going to suggest pre-made strips of hair so you can define presets and generate them with a click. Also, a way to lock the tail and head of strips, I noticed sometimes when you add or remove geo it rotates and sometimes it doesn't. There's probably a way to lock that. Finally, I wonder if a "Flatten all" (on a plane, like you do with ZB) function would make sense, it could be heavy if you got lots of strands but I think it's worth telling Phung.

That's a lot of dumb ideas coming from a Maya noob, I know...but let me know if they make sense to you.
  • dr grim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    14227bb2d04d869ec57cda7b719be39a.jpg

Excalibur. The real deal. True story.
  • Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    That is looking pretty cool haha !
    Nice details. This looks hard to grab though.
  • AlphaMix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    14227bb2d04d869ec57cda7b719be39a.jpg

Excalibur. The real deal. True story.

exactly what was your approach for creating the strips around the handle? if you dont mind me asking :)
  • dr grim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlphaMix wrote: »
    exactly what was your approach for creating the strips around the handle? if you dont mind me asking :)

I did those with Marvelous Designer 3. And a hefty amount of pinning and un-pinning. Pins allow you to counter gravity until you can get to the next "turn" around the object you're trying to wrap. When you got a section properly adjusted you can remove some of the older pins below.

I added the strips mostly to break the silhouette. I did them fairly thick as they were hard to make out as having thickness. I tried multiple settings and that's the thinnest that worked. In the end, I'm aware you won't see it much as the character's hand occludes most of it, but oh well, I always wanted to do bandages/strips wrapped around something (weird fetish, I know).
  • dr grim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update...

Almost donde, C&C welcome.

I'm aware he feels a bit stiff but I had to pose him in ZB, BonesPro has a couple of bugs that prevented me from properly rigging him so I had to pick a less dynamic pose using Transpose Master. I can still make some tweaks provided this time ZB won't trash some subtools. If you have ideas to make it look better let me know. Thx for watching and commenting!

2dj89hs.jpg
  • dr grim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leg higher and tilted head.

116lx7q.jpg
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Hey man!

This little dude has tons of personality, loving it.

I don't' have much to critique at the moment as it is well done. The pose sells his playful nature, so good job with that.

I preferred his stylized hair from earlier shots but understand if you are setting that up to be carded.

I feel his cape should be a different material then his shirt so that his uniform looks a bit more haphazard to exemplify the playful spirit. Maybe a patch on 1 knee for asymmetry.

Keep up the good work, can't wait to see more!
  • dr grim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You are absolutely right my feathered friend!

Thank you so much for dropping by. I was kinda down and thinking I had failed (I am my worst critic).

I'll keep you updated!
  • authentic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice work. Looking amazing.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Quacks crits are pretty good, I also think maybe it would be worth flattening the bottom (or top in the case of the hat) of the pan, to give it a shape more like an actual cooking pan, I think people might miss it otherwise.

But yeah, this turned out great, lots of character and even emotion. Stands out to me.

Congrats!
  • SaboR1996
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    I did those with Marvelous Designer 3. And a hefty amount of pinning and un-pinning. Pins allow you to counter gravity until you can get to the next "turn" around the object you're trying to wrap. When you got a section properly adjusted you can remove some of the older pins below.

I added the strips mostly to break the silhouette. I did them fairly thick as they were hard to make out as having thickness. I tried multiple settings and that's the thinnest that worked. In the end, I'm aware you won't see it much as the character's hand occludes most of it, but oh well, I always wanted to do bandages/strips wrapped around something (weird fetish, I know).

Do a tutorial on this, please.
  • dr grim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx to everybody for the positive feedback!

Small update on the color front. I figured I might do a quick ZB version while the Vray one gets rendered. I'll use this as a base. Not so sure about the metal. I'll also add a pattern to the cape.

Anyways, let me know what you guys think of this quick coloring pass and thank you for commenting!

2nkqqg.jpg
  • dr grim
  • dr grim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5vyr6v.jpg

Time for some rendering pain in Maya/Vray...
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    The new grime layer you've added is clashing pretty hard with the cartoonish design. I think the simpler, cleaner detail of what you were showing off in the previous shots worked much better.
  • dr grim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackablade wrote: »
    The new grime layer you've added is clashing pretty hard with the cartoonish design. I think the simpler, cleaner detail of what you were showing off in the previous shots worked much better.

Thx for your input. I have kept everything a layer in Mudbox so I'll try removing it. Keep in mind those are Mudbox shaders, the final look might change once rendered in Maya. At any rate we'll find out soon enough!
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    I agree with jackablade, the dirt messes with the aesthetic. Could centralize it on areas, like grass stains on the knees or muddy shoes, but the all-over unfocused grime loses something of the charm.

I also don't like the black pot over the metal one, however I really like the crown detail, so hopefully you keep that either way.

And you're right about the shaders changing everything once you hit render, a lot of times it's worth it to develop the texture and the shaders/test renders at the same time.

This is gonna be great though.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Maybe do a test render in V-ray before you decide anything. He's going to look awesome with some good SSS and lighting!

I personally prefer the dark metal. The dirt is probably a bit much though
  • dr grim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx a lot guys! I agree I need to focus that dirt, looks messy, "less is more sometimes" as I always say. I'll render in Vray and report back.

@Ysalex: Regarding the metal I am of two minds here: On one side I liked the reflections from the other one, on the other I like the dark cast iron version too because of the contrast. At any rate, even the sculpting layers in MB can easily be removed.

I agree with you regarding co-developing shaders along rendering. It's impossible to predict the outcome sometimes but I had to go with something. The crown and badass lion on the shield will be there, don't worry :D

Btw, I used your basic eye idea: sclera with opacity map + iris in the center, we'll see how that flies.

Thx again for stopping by, guys!

PD: Is it me or hypergraph is too complicated needlessly?