Home General Discussion

Affordable 3D classes?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Gungriffon Geona polycounter lvl 18
I'm at my wits end because I've been trying for years to 'get' high poly modelling and it's just not working out to learn this stuff on my own. I want to make human models but I've never been able to to make one without the poly-flow breaking along the torso. I've really tried to learn Zbrush but I haven't even the faintest idea where to start when making a character model from scratch. I work better in a classroom setting, so I was wondering if there's even a such thing as affordable classes to learn these things. It would be especially nice if I could find any in the Georgia area.

Replies

• Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    if with all the countless resources on the web you cant understand poly modeling then i dont think that classes will do you any good , sorry mate.
  • Gungriffon Geona
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's really helpful, thank you for stating something so incredibly profound.

If I could elaborate, I understand hard surface well enough and I've made plenty of progress within that section of high-poly. I feel like I want to do organic work, but it seems like every time I attempt it I don't have a good model resource to study.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Have you looked at your local community college?
  • Gungriffon Geona
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've looked around, but it's been suprisingly bare in my immediate area. (within 25 miles or so anyway) Then again, this part of the state isn't really thriving with life either.
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    futurepoly offer their 3 course online now as well as at their Seattle campus. I took it recently and found it very useful. Not sure if its what you are looking for or not though.

http://futurepoly.com/3DModelingOnline.aspx
  • Gungriffon Geona
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, it's certainly a more hands-on approach, and certainly is alot more affordable than what I've seen before. I'll keep this handy once I can save up for it!

If anyone has any other stuff worth noting, please let me know!
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    You could try Skillshare. I took a surprisingly good intro to Unity class with them last year. Cost me $15 for an 8 week course or something ludicrous like that. I have no idea how they operate for that kind of money.

Whatever the case, for the kind of money they want, even if the course turns out to be no good, you won't be losing much.
    http://www.skillshare.com/
  • R0gu3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll second FuturePoly (where I'm at currently), I'll also toss out Gnomon School, and Digital Tutors.
  • PyrZern
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Gonna have to agree with Joao a bit. Don't get me wrong, I can understand the sentiment of wanting to be in a classroom setting, but really with the resources available via the web/bookstore...it's kind of a no brainer.

To keep it short, after the traditional 4 year college bit, I went to a trade school that focused on digital art. Compared to the resources I found online, it was almost useless since the best in their field were doing a much better job at teaching than most of the instruction found in a classroom setting. To be fair, we did have a few teachers that were great (pixologic's Paul Graboury for example) but the focus was on learning software as opposed to learning the proper technique for characters and such.

That class did come with a book however...and its this book you will want to learn from.
    It is: http://pixologic.com/blog/2010/01/zbrush-book-digital-sculpting-human-anatomy-by-scott-spencer/

Everything you will need is in that book, its quite visual and very well laid out. Start there and start tossing in some online tutorials and it shouldnt be a problem...not to mention affordable.
  • Gungriffon Geona
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I could have sworn I replied, but I guess I didn't hit the submit button, oh well!

That Zbrush book and the character creation tutorial look very useful! I'll go through those once I have the time. I'm also amazed I hadn't heard of Skillshare before. That's the most cost effective hands-on learning I've seen so far. I can probably manage that on my budget too!

And yeah, the last guy is right about guidance. I've never been very good at figuring out where to start when it comes to learning something new. Hell, the only reason I've gotten anywhere at all was my friend from Spain taught me the important bits about 3D Studio Max. Everything I've learned from there on has been because I was pointed in the right direction. It's really hard for me to pick up things without an idea where to start, especially with a subject that's so massively varied and with thousands of viable paths to choose from.
    Hopefully though, I can start moving forward! Thanks everyone, I'm glad I was able to get an idea of where to go from here!
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    not very helpful i know , but i thought you were looking for affordable 3d glasses