Home General Discussion

The Best Approach to Character Art?

Replies

• lunatorra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lunatorra polycounter lvl 7
    And for the record, almighty... The sandals I took a screenshot of are a commission... A more than half of the works that I listed were commission works. I actually have very very little personal work.

You just have to know where to get clients bub =\
    If you want to be negative, at least try to be constructive.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    *searches any art posted by lunatorra*

You are really coming of as a dick who has nothing to show or prove about his competecy on the matter he is asking/condescending other more experienced users . I see this happening a lot lately, and its an annoying trend honestly.
  • lunatorra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *searches any art posted by lunatorra*

You are really coming of as a dick who has nothing to show or prove about his competecy on the matter he is asking/condescending other more experienced users . I see this happening a lot lately, and its an annoying trend honestly.

Sorry. I try to meet the tone of the responses that I receive from others.
    I do my best to ensure that everyone is aware that my statements are born entirely of opinion and that I'm not trying to impress my views upon others.

When someone comes off as sort of obnoxious, I typically just ignore their statement and wait for someone who has constructive things to say. But, with recent posters, I suppose I've taken things a bit more personally.

I will match the respect given, the best I can.
    Disrespectful statements have the same potential to make me angry as they do anyone else. Just because I'm asking for help, doesn't mean I'm going to allow people to treat me poorly until the end of all days.. and I've thanked individuals who I felt approached me respectfully.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    I feel the need to clarify, since I kinda kicked this off which I feel bad about, that it's not the lack of experience on Luna's part that bothers me about his judgements. I think anyone, even people who don't appreciate art, are capable of making good critiques.

What bothers me is anybody, of any skill-level, deciding what is art, what is not, who is an 'artist' and who isn't.

It would bother me if anyone did it, inexperienced or super-experienced. But it's my position that a super-experienced person is much, much less likely to do it, because they have ostensibly come a long way in the way they relate to art their place in it/with it. They are just less likely to think that it is acceptable to be making those judgement calls, and more likely to realize that these labels and ideas are not at all important.

So to me it's a matter of personal maturity. You could be the most amazing artist in the world and if you're still as immature as to do this, then I will still disagree with you.

Shouldn't have engaged him, sorry about that.
  • lunatorra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You are discouraging putting value on labels, while saying that you are offended when people DEPRIVE others of labels....

• lunatorra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's a really simple contradiction, and that leads me to believe that you dont really know how YOU feel about art, either.

I will say... just the way you've determined WHO and WHO ISNT mature... I will continue to determine who I feel is, and isnt, an artist.

Would be easy to say "Oh hey bro, what gives you the right to say who's mature"... But humans pass judgement constantly... Day in, day out... Whether to themselves, or out loud, and nothing's going to change that.

In other words, as a human being, it's not just a "right"... It's an inevitability.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
  • lunatorra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maturity, in the flesh. :)
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    I just think you have no idea how small you look.
  • lunatorra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex wrote: »
    I just think you have no idea how small you look.

You've exposed that you value being able to consider yourself an artist.
    You put the label on a throne, and said you had too much respect for the label to use it on yourself.
    Then you said that labels are for suckers.
    You told someone that, as an inexperienced artist, their opinions about art dont mean jack.
    Then, you turned around and accepted their critique and said it was valid.
    You said you were "done" to appear as the bigger man to your peers, at least 3 times.
    Then... came back... At least 3 times.
    Claimed that you aren't interested in igniting anything
    Then you post a gif and make a statement in attempt to insult me.

I dont think this is your night.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Edit: okay okay I got your pm's I'm done.
  • lunatorra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I do admit that at some point I began to find this comical. It's like being asked if you want to fight and then watching the person beat the shit out of themselves.

You are making it painfully clear that you're feeling very insecure about what happened.
    I usually refer to this as "playing it off"
    It only makes you look like you care more, and have been affected.
    If you really didnt care, you would have left a couple "I'm dones" ago.
  • lunatorra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edit: okay okay I got your pm's I'm done.

Looks like you've made a friend :)
    They "talked you down", eh?
    Now you can truly be "done" without your ego taking any damage.
    It all works out.
  • battlecow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    battlecow polycounter lvl 12
    You're reacting like a crazy person, take your meds.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Let__s_make_some_art_by_vedoo.jpg

come on guys :) lets have some fun and make some art. Remember art is subjective and that this is the internet where stupid things get said on a daily basis :) Im good at that!!

Im sure if I told people what I liked and didnt I would be shot too.

Back to improving, this is what Ive learnt and isnt aimed at anybody; work your buns off, make sure you manage your time, speed will come so dont rush in the beginning (you dont want a folio of half finished work that youre not proud of like me), make sure you analyse your ref and understand it in a deeper level other than just copying it, and always work smarter, not harder. Dont use other artists work as anatomy ref, use real life or you will pick up their bad habits and guess work. If somethings a pain then find a better way to do it, as problem solving will come in handy later on. Train your eye and not your software (to a degree) :) Make sure your portfolio pieces are interesting, so you stay interested and also the viewers do too. Make sure you are enjoying what you are doing to stay motivated. Aim your artistic level higher than whats out there, even if its unobtainable as your work will get better and better the more you push. 2d and 3d are both art forms and compliment each other..........................And stay as far away from general discussion as possible!!!!! no art will be made in here!!!!

hope that helps, now lets make some cool schizz!!!! Lunatorra please calm it down and keep it professional
  • lunatorra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool wrote: »
    come on guys :) lets have some fun and make some art. Remember art is subjective and that this is the internet where stupid things get said on a daily basis :) Im good at that!!

Im sure if I told people what I liked and didnt I would be shot too.

Back to improving, this is what Ive learnt and isnt aimed at anybody; work your buns off, make sure you manage your time, speed will come so dont rush in the beginning (you dont want a folio of half finished work that youre not proud of like me), make sure you analyse your ref and understand it in a deeper level other than just copying it, and always work smarter, not harder. Dont use other artists work as anatomy ref, use real life or you will pick up their bad habits and guess work. If somethings a pain then find a better way to do it, as problem solving will come in handy later on. Train your eye and not your software (to a degree) :) Make sure your portfolio pieces are interesting, so you stay interested and also the viewers do too. Make sure you are enjoying what you are doing to stay motivated. Aim your artistic level higher than whats out there, even if its unobtainable as your work will get better and better the more you push. 2d and 3d are both art forms and compliment each other..........................And stay as far away from general discussion as possible!!!!! no art will be made in here!!!!

hope that helps, now lets make some cool schizz!!!! Lunatorra please calm it down and keep it professional

I enjoyed your message, but it was pretty lame that you saw fit to call me out at the end.
    Only responding to what people give me, but I guess the only way you'd know that is if you read through all these pages, and it would be unreasonable for me to expect that of you.

"Aim your artistic level higher than what's out there"
    This is what I will take from your message, and apply that to my current strategy.

Thanks.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    Dear Lunatorra,

Here's hoping you have a great life trying to start arguments with everyone on the net.

love and hugs
    seth
  • lunatorra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. wrote: »
    Dear Lunatorra,

Here's hoping you have a great life trying to start arguments with everyone on the net.

love and hugs
    seth

Says the one attempting to fuel conflict lol.
    Sigh...
  • Giles_P
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't understand how you can appeal to the forum for help and advice and then proceed to insult and wind up a number of forum members who would usually offer helpful and insightful feedback.
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakob Gavelli interpolator
    There's a golden rule to the gaming industry. " Don't burn bridges. ".

I'll leave it at that.
  • lunatorra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Giles_P wrote: »
    I don't understand how you can appeal to the forum for help and advice and then proceed to insult and wind up a number of forum members who would usually offer helpful and insightful feedback.

What would you like me to do? Respond dishonestly? Not respond at all? Even when addressed directly and asked questions?

During discussions, people can get upset... Especially when presented with "controversial" material (if you could call it that)... It happens.

I havent gone out of my way to attack anyone, aside from those who saw fit to attack me first. Read through the other pages if you're interested. But I take pride in my ability to stay RELEVANT, to the point, and I pad a lot of my statements in order to avoid offending people. Clearly, I'm not always successful. -- But don't try to pin the outcome of this thread entirely on me.

Though, i reckon its much easier to blame one individual.
  • lunatorra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was teased for starting the thread to begin with. People laughed, suggested my "weakness" and I ignored them. -- I waited for constructive individuals to come about and responded to them.

I discussed how I felt about art in a respectful manner, making it clear that it was just how I felt. One of the artists we were discussing found his way to this thread and expressed the fact that he had been offended.

Once i responded to him, a slew of angry individuals popped up, using really strange techniques to get to me and stir things up <_< I responded with a similar tone, but remained on defense. I never attempted to attack them (aside from ysalex), and to users that are new to the thread, I guess that's all they see.

If you want to give me behavioral advice, please read all statements made, or at least mine.
    The individuals this community has come to respect seem to be really immature and aren't getting call out for it.

Easier to blame one guy, and criticize one guy... But is that fair?
  • battlecow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I will moderate myself.
    I shall not feed delusions of persecution
  • lunatorra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    battlecow wrote: »
    Yep it's all a big conspiracy to get to you.
    btw your comments on Ysalex and his work were rude and disrespectfull, the guy that has 3 shoes in his portofolio goes on an ART forum and claims what a respected member does is not art but souless technical shit,but hey! it's only his opinion don't get upset.

Your fucking crazy, you have delusions of persecution

Don't get upset it's just my opinion

How were my statements disrespectful?
    I'll mostly ignore the irrelevant attacks on me for now. But you make for a prime example.
  • lunatorra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lunatorra wrote: »
    Thanks for the link Torch :)
    Okay, so this artist was suggested by Robeomega, then.
    This guy definitely has the ability to make realistic busts.
    But, in my opinion, being a good character artist isn't just about being able to look at something at model it. That would make him a good modeler... which is different.
    Aside from one piece in his portfolio, none of his works suggest any level of creativity.
    And I suspect the creative piece is based on a concept, but that's just an assumption.

I also feel that he lacks the ability to create believable gestures, based on a couple of his posed models.

Perhaps he has other work that I havent seen, that better portrays his ability, but based on the portfolio alone, I feel he could greatly benefit from drawing, and I dont consider him a good artist. But, he does seem to be a good modeler.

Please help me understand how I could have made that less offensive.
    *note* The person we're discussing wasnt apart of the discussion at the time.
  • battlecow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I quote you dear sir:
    "Aside from one piece in his portfolio, none of his works suggest any level of creativity.
    And I suspect the creative piece is based on a concept, but that's just an assumption."
    "I don't call that art. Therefore, I wouldn't count him among artists"

Stop sniffing your own farts dude
  • lunatorra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    battlecow wrote: »
    I quote you dear sir:
    "Aside from one piece in his portfolio, none of his works suggest any level of creativity.
    And I suspect the creative piece is based on a concept, but that's just an assumption."
    "I don't call that art. Therefore, I wouldn't count him among artists"

Stop sniffing your own farts dude

Yes. That was my perception and I made sure the reader is clear that it's my personal opinion before stating it... It was not made to be fact.
    So where is the disrespectful part? Does the disrespectful aspect come from the fact that I stated an negative opinion, alone?

If you're going to talk to me, might as well leave out the kiddy attacks.
    Serves no purpose.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dude.

This is a small industry. We are a close community here. We love helping and nurturing young artists.

I read through everything in the past coupe pages and its clear that this thread is doing you no favors. I'm shutting this down because while you don't care about ever entering the game industry, its clear that others here are taking your words to heart. There is no good being done with this being left open.

Good luck on your future endeavors. Go make art and come back when your ready to learn or contribute.
This discussion has been closed.