Home Career & Education

Am I wasting my time with a Games Art degree?

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Conpatshe polycounter lvl 4
Hello new friends,

I hope this is the correct place to ask this question, i arrived here from a related post that was similar.

Basically, my dilemma is that I've been accepted a place at a university to get a degree in 3D Games Art. I will be going there in september. However after reading around the internet I am debating whether its worth the £30000+ student loan debt I will get (I am from England).

Will i waste my time getting this degree and debt rather than studying myself and building my portfolio?

Replies

• Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    Personally if i was a few years younger again and had the opportunity to study i would go for a traditional arts degree. In my opinion there is nothing game art related that one couldn't teach himself given the immense ressources that are out there on the internet. And to learn the basics of making a game you don't need to work on a project with fellow students but you can do that together with other amateurs.

To learn how to draw and paint properly however that's a different story. Harder to accomplish unless you have immense natural talent because you can't compensate that so much with solid craftsmanship.

As an 3D Artist it's my biggest regret in hindsight that i didn't learn more of that as a teenager/young adult. My art is relatively solid but i know that my texturing and sculpting would be better and quicker had i aquired more traditional art skills in the past.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    You can learn everything on your own, but that will take awhile. But it is possible. You will also need to be disciplined. If you frequent these forums and post WIP threads, everyone would be happy to give you a hand. If we can save you 30 grand, I'm sure we'll do our best :P

Right now, I'm nearing the end of my 1 year Game Art course. It too was 30,000$. And yeah, I was struggling with the amount of money and get kind of depressed once in awhile knowing how in debt I'll be...not to mention, the starting wages for game artists isn't the greatest. Also hugely competitive.

I think the most important think you can do right now is practice your skills as an artist. Learn how to draw people! Study study study. I think you can learn proper anatomy on your own. Just scour the internet for pictures of naked people and muscles and draw the SHIT out of them. It will help loads.

There are two basic routes you could take; characters or environments/props. Our teachers tell us that to get a job as a character artist, you need to be in the top 5%, and for an environment artist, top 15%. You basically have to be the best. Just keep that in mind.

Do you have any art you can show us?
  • Joopson
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    At my school, I'd regret it, except for one teacher. That one teachers has given me enough advice to justify having gone, and continuing to go. At any other school that's more out of touch, I think it'd be a waste. If you can, talk to the teachers, and ask what they teach. You'd be surprised, a lot of places don't even teach Zbrush, or normal mapping. Or UDK.

If they don't mention UDK or Zbrush, I'd say stick to Polycount and work on your own.

But do use your own judgement. Because I know for some people, going to a school helps them learning a lot.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Joopson is very right. Our year is the first one to actually have a class for UDK. Research the school if you decide to go first. It's a good thing you're posting in these forums to get advice on this topic, I wish I would have thought to have done the same.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Haha, I did post here asking, but really I had already made up my mind. So may as well not have!
  • Conpatshe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog wrote: »
    Do you have any art you can show us?

Ofcourse!

Here are 2 sketches I completed for my A-Level coursework

http://i.imgur.com/9ayC1.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/rDMcL.jpg

Here are also some WIPs and digital artwork

http://i.imgur.com/tKrw5.jpg

and

http://i.imgur.com/6UIxn.jpg
  • Joopson
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Much better than my drawings before college! How about 3D work? Have you gotten a head start doing that, as well? If not, I'd suggest it.
  • Conpatshe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson wrote: »
    Much better than my drawings before college! How about 3D work? Have you gotten a head start doing that, as well? If not, I'd suggest it.

After I finish my final A-Levels exams I will be getting my hands on some 3D programs and getting a headstart for the course if I decide to go ahead with it :) I have dabbled a bit in some trial versions, like zBrush and 3DS Max and Maya
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Probably best to get a fine arts degree - I'm pretty sure that will qualify as a degree in your field of work for Visa reasons but don't take my word for it, do some research.
  • Pabs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pabs polycounter lvl 11
    Personally if i was a few years younger again and had the opportunity to study i would go for a traditional arts degree.
    ^
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    £30000+ seems a bit steep. You might want to shop around for a different uni, unless that one is top-notch. The biggest plus of going to uni is making friends and contacts, if the uni has very strong links with a number of companies and you really make the effort to become friends with the best students - then it could be worth it. You will learn 3D, if you work your bum off to do so, but you could do that at home. Look at the course, is it purely art, or is there level design? If you want to be a games artist, why spend the time learning scripting? If they cover level design, you will have to learn and excel to get the best value.

Do you know what you want to do in the industry, or just want to try different aspects of games design? Can you learn autodidactically, or do you need someone to push you? Can you support yourself if you didn't go: can you work an 8 hour shift at a normal job, then go to the computer and work at night and weekends?

Some of this comes down to personal drive. I don't want to sway you either way, but I had a lot of fun at uni, and nothing beats working collaboratively with others who are as enthusiastic and passionate as you are about a project. Have a look at the syllabus, examine your own goals and motivations.

Best of luck!
  • choco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    choco polycounter lvl 10
    I never went school to learn modeling or game production related techniques.
    Oh wait...I actually did...for about 3 months. I left when taught the 3d modeling teacher how to render a normal map in maya which he was covering.

I've learned everything on my own. Took me years to get to this point but it was worth it since I'm doing what I like.
    Keep in mind that most of the industry veterans didn't have the chance to enroll into 3d schools... simply because they didn't exist at the time.
    I'd that focalizing on traditional art (anatomy, colors etc...) would be the best.
    Game production techniques evolves every 2 to 3 years and half the methods taught in school would be outdated by the time you get your degree. In the end only the basics matter and your artistic sens.
  • Shaffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keep in mind that a good syllabus and talking to the professors might not do the trick. You want to see their portfolios and compare them to who you would be learning from here on Polycount. They have to keep people coming in order to keep their job, I took a lot of classes with a great sounding syllabus and overall goal but no content whatsoever. You only want to learn from people who have good portfolio's themselves otherwise they are just another wannabe who can read these forums and come up with some fake buzzwords about zbrush/udk to throw at someone who hasn't had much exposure to how it really goes down.
  • Conpatshe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you everyone for all the advice you've given me, Its really helped and this forum is one of the most welcoming I've visited.

For all who were interested to see examples of work students at the university have produced, on the open day the course leaders showed us a showreel to get a feel for it.

Here they are from what I can find;

http://vimeo.com/16137321

http://vimeo.com/24611637

http://vimeo.com/24611625

http://vimeo.com/9065229

Heres the entire range of video reels; http://vimeo.com/uhanimation

The university's Digital Arts/Animation department is slight into 4 different sections; 3D, Games Art, Animation and 2D, thats why there are multiple videos showcasing VFX, 2D animation etc etc
  • Lost-Artist89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lost-Artist89 polycounter lvl 10
    good man for choosing Hertfordshire (all those videos are from people i knew personally :)) i went there myself i graduated 2 years ago - and the lessons i were taught were invaluable. the tutors are incredible, but more importantly it doesnt just get you working it makes you push yourself as an artist and gets you used to meeting deadlines (something i find very hard to do in my personal time) it also gets you out and about mingling with industry with frequent visits and friday night drinks in soho with usually hundreds of people from vfx and film.

if you do have the opportunity to go to herts, i would personally take it...
  • ahtiandr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahtiandr polycounter lvl 12
    I am about to graduate from Herts and I think the time I spent there was really good and I have improved a lot. However, I cant say that everything I learnt is from the university. Basically we have a project to do and then I go and find tutorials online which actually help me to get new skills and improve old ones. It may look lke you can actually do these tutorials without going to Uni but then you will miss the working environment and there wont me anyone to control you and grade your stuff. The most valuable for me was the deadline for the project. It helped me to work on many projects at a time and to keep goign without polishing one peace for a long time as I usually do when there is no deadline. Also lifedrawing was very helpful. Helped me to improve drawing skills since I have not drawn toom much. Group work is also very important because it is what you will be doing in the industry. And finally you will get a lot of professional contacts from different companies. They visit UH quite a lot so you will have more opportunities to get a job.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    depends on the program, the way that's best for you to learn things, learning resources available beside college and your current knowledge about the industry and the technologies it uses.

If you're like me, you knew nothing about 3D at all, there was no real community (or at least I didn't know about it back then), and no other options, it may not be a waste of time. Under the same circumstances as in '98 I'd study again.

But since you found PC, you might get the 3D knowledge from here and study fine arts, or CS, if you're into tinkering, scripting and the like. Although if you're not a good self learner and have 0 clue about computers, teaching yourself Maya, ZB and other advanced techniques (rigging, lighting, rendering) might be challenging and time consuming on top of your studies.
  • Conpatshe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks all for the advice :) i have made up my mind with the help
  • Denny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denny polycounter lvl 14
    A good artist can always learn a new tool, I agree with some of the others that an art school might give you more bang for the buck. There has popped up a lot of game development schools in later years and most of them are only riding on the hype train to earn some extra money on students. As always do extra research on your school / university before paying up. Luckily though this look like a legit program so you shouldn't worry too much.
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    One thing that a school can offer which can be hard to obtain yourself is a creative work environment with other like minded individuals around you. Given that the school offers a permanent workplace with a sufficient computer.

They can also offer an opportunity to work in game projects with other students (not just art students, programming, designers, etc). I'm not referring to "join a mod team"-projects, I'm talking about project work where everyone is gathered on location and working on it 9-5 on a regular basis. Also with regular guidance and milestones to deliver to your external producers(teachers).

Kind of like what we offer where I work ;)
  • Grimmstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimmstrom polycounter lvl 7
    If you do go down the uni route, make sure that you try and do the 1 years work experience that's normally between years 2 and 3. A lot of people snub this and say its a waste of time but I know so many people that have landed jobs because of this, including myself. You'll learn so much more during that year as well
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    kodde wrote: »

Kind of like what we offer where I work ;)

There is a very big difference in schools in Sweden and the UK though. With all the money they have to spend on their educations it's not even funny. They got student loans to even be able to pay all the tuitions.

Sweden is very lucky in that sense, or very smart considering where our taxes go. thumbup.gif

Conpatshe wrote: »
    Hello new friends,

I hope this is the correct place to ask this question, i arrived here from a related post that was similar.

Basically, my dilemma is that I've been accepted a place at a university to get a degree in 3D Games Art. I will be going there in september. However after reading around the internet I am debating whether its worth the £30000+ student loan debt I will get (I am from England).

Will i waste my time getting this degree and debt rather than studying myself and building my portfolio?

I say it's worth it, if the schools is good. It's a place where you get the gift of time (for money ofc) that you can spend on learning and be on your way to become a pro.

It's not going to be worth it though if you spend all your time there messing around and not working hard. There are always a couple of students that are doomed to fail because they never take it seriously. It's hard enough getting into the industry to spend their paid time for messing around. (then again it's mostly free here in Sweden, then it's even worse)
  • artgirl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think that is a great question! I've been in the digital marketing business for a long time and hire people regularly in this line of work.

I would rather hire someone who has a lot of raw experience but no degree. So many times, people with college degrees in the creative arts actually stink at doing what they were "trained to do".

If your really awesome at game art design and you have the portfolio to prove it, go do some interviews and go see what people say.

You can check odesk and get some good work of there if you haven't built out your portfolio yet.

Hope this helps!
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    If the school infrastructure motivates you AND you can get into a school that knows what they are doing, then go to school.

If you can motivate yourself, all the tools are available online (I've done it), and save yourself tons of debt.

MOST schools programs are piss poor representations of game development. There are a select few that actually know what they are doing.
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    Conpatshe wrote: »
    Hello new friends,

Going to University to study Game art is like buying time. Everyone is buying the same amount of time and those whom use that time wisely will be the ones whom are actually successful.

I myself am from England, I did a game-design degree and wish it was more art based. It wasnt as respected University as Hertfordshire but my lecturers were recently from industry and at well established studios and I learnt a ton. I was one of the few that managed to get a job, in both games and visulisation for tv/marketing; and my first role was gained before graduation.

In regards to the £30,000 of debt; you can't really even consider it. With the new laws/terms provided with the loan; you don't pay ANYTHING until you earn atleast a respectful £20,000 per annum and even then the amount you pay per month is ridiculous small (like £30.00 a month last time i checked). meaning in reality; you'll never ever pay it off.

The more you put into ANYTHING the more you'll get out. If you didn't go to University and put in 8 hours a day into practicing as much as you could via youtube videos, DT, EAT3D etc then you'd get just as much out of it; but you wouldn't gain the networking aspect in the long run.

Hope this helps anyway.

Cheers

Dave
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    Im going to school in Germany,too.
    And i can say that i have learned much more at home while studying with 3dmotive, digital tutors, vimeo and youtube.
    Im a bit sad because we have not much teaching lessons, but for me its ok. I do not have to pay because army is paying that :)
    Not Much Lessons for a lot of money! :O

One thing is good and this is: Working in Teams on small projects and communication with the Industry and with other students.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    the thing is , 3d art is ART , and learning ART trough the propper teachings that are either free online or thru an art class is the best way.

Its like you want to paint , but you only learn how to use the brush, all its tricks, how to make longer strokes, use drypaint effects but...you never learn to composition nor study anatomy, so you are left with a tool and you havent got the ability to use it properly.
  • taro_29
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

So much relevant advice here, even after 10 years. Thank you.