Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Kettun

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Kettun polycounter lvl 10
Hi Everyone reading this. This is my Sketchbook, as you can see there are many like it. But this one is mine.

What I'm working on Right now:

Any critique and or Feedback is welcome in the fullest and most brutal extent, and I dont care if you completely rip what I make apart, as I'l be better for it. the salty tears of improvement shall we say. I want to do this as a job, alot. 

However, if I post a screenshot with obvious clipping, I've probably seen it and am working on it. more structural stuff, y'know.

You can also be as Technical as you like (Unlike what it says in the post right under this) as I've learned a great deal in the past year. Moreso than I would expect.

Replies

• Kettun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello, every-body I've been lurking for about a year now here on polycount and I think it is time for me to finally come out of seclusion and start posting!

I'l start off with the last thing I did before this current project that this 'sketchbook' will start at.
    It's this;

I hope you enjoy!
    and of course, all critiques are welcome. I'm still an absolute novice so try to keep it to the common tongue and not too technical when explaining things!
    ^ That was the first post.

Currently I'm working on a myriad of projects, some forced by teachers, others voluntairy. this one is a great example.

"Mag" as this project is called is going to have a "cyberpunk" theme, using inspiration from things such as the Pen & Paper with the same name, Deus Ex, and it obviously somewhat resembles an Adjutant from Starcraft. which has reasons that will be made clear on future projects.

I'm also working on a bit of backstory, and the character will eventually be rendered in UE4 with it's effects and shiny things.

Here's the designs;
    the designs are credited to Edon Guraziu. He's a cool guy. give him a look.
    His Drawcrowd

[IMG][/IMG]
    JmtU5X0jpg
    except this last one, I made that myself.
    I5lx00Cjpg

Here's the Zbrush Progression;

teCFI2Kpng
    goAmOMnpng
    lqIeblvpng

hhL0ILvpng
    ie8y3gkpng
    GliAX1Ipng

then I started painting the 'skin' in zbrush, which was probably unwise and i'l be altering it alot in photoshop no doubt.

iww1TMlpng
    NCzx3cKpng

currently I'm working on the low-poly of what I have right now.
    material definition in maya;

g3hT52Npng

Oh and a wireframe:

hHJ64uypng

Boring old wireframe gallery

Right now I'm working getting something "added" to the design, like a magnum holster, and an actual cyberpunk bodywarmer so the character doesn't look so incredibly skintight and give it some volume.
  • Kettun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bodywarmer; still gotta do the inside and refine the trimmings.

but I like how the fabric looks right now.

what about you?

oh and i've gotta add some fans and grates to the mechanical parts.

ZtPVIib.png
  • Kettun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Low poly jacket. now with with extra flag, still excluding fans.

Textures are not final.

DlCIsIq.png
  • Kettun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yaay revolver model is sorta finished now. now I can go onward to new and exciting things. like a holster for said gunmodel.

Concepted for me by Edon Guraziu.

Here is some renders. WIP's and Wires coming when I get around to rendering them.
    Unity (Marmoset Skyshop):
    xe9xBRj.jpg

Marmoset Toolbag:
    4El5wvV.png

Unreal Engine 4 (Final Target):
    eX3pPmG.png
  • Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr.Moose polycounter lvl 7
    Amazing stuff!
  • Kettun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heya thanks Mr. Moose

Here's the next thing I'm working on, HAIR.
    This stuff is really making me pull my own ones out in frustration.

I've no clue how to do this with more effecient results.

05bobEG.png?2
  • Kettun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Next Itteration:

oVy7dva.jpg
    FQaUNeR.png
  • Kettun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ehh I may've removed some of those images. Lets put them back. now new and improved! this project is almost ready to go to pimping and previews, just need a pedestal and some Unreal4 goodness now.

well and -some- textures.

47XxBEw.jpg
    YAI2YLu.jpg
    dDvX3gs.jpg
    6X1xnPq.jpg
    23ySRNW.png

in the end I used a fiber mesh from Zbrush to get this result. I'm not -too- unhappy with it, but I really wish there were some more up-to-date hair tutorials around here.
    7mivgmj.png
    DkPQYli.png
  • Kettun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Other stuff I'm working on. This is a lesson in game design i'm following, and I decided to make a molten steel material to add to the orangish pallete of the scene. It uses an incredibly limited amount of models due to lack of time. I might revisit this once in the future.

nQkVYrQ.png

The magma is animated with vertex displacement, giving that sense of "real" metal slugs dripping down from a metal rod or something. it also includes slag now that drips along with it. I'm limited on how complex i can make it due to unity's restrictions, but I'l be remaking this in unreal, I think
  • Kettun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And here's that shooter up there again, in a neat little presentation for the courses I'm following.

[ame="www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkF4Mcxr90s"]Elysium Shooter Project[/ame]

Disclaimer: This video contains music, weapons, enemies and pickups that I did not make or take any credit for. This is for educational purposes.

This unity game was made in a very limited amount of time to look as cool as possible.

the total hours spent on the enviroment will hover around a full work-week for asset creation and then an aditional few days for implementation in the engine
  • Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr.Moose polycounter lvl 7
    The level looks awesome, I really like the feel to the environment and character (Though she is really weird without eyes o_O)
  • Kettun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Moose! Lets Alleviate that eyeless monstrocity then!

Here she is in UE4.

HBAXqhq.png

I'm having alot of trouble with APEX, so the cloth acts -really- weird, and doesn't adhere to any of the properties I give it. So I probably have to completely re-do the jacket, or at least make the surfaces much closer together. so I can latch them properly.

Currently i'm working on making the character walk around (Which looks weird what with the cloth flailing around) and getting the unreal-materials set up properly.
  • Kettun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More images! after a hiatus. Vacation is so nice.

Marmoset time, Rejoice! perhaps I will present it as such, or with a pedestal, or in the actual UE4 engine. indecisive... Hrm.

sYebXva.png
    WES7emE.png
    RtmboYG.png
    j3doatd.png
  • Kettun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More anatomy practice for me!
    I'l get to feet one day, I swear. but for now, horses' hooves.

this character is part of a new set of mini-projects that I'l be doing each week. this is about 8 hours in for really trying to practice and learn every muscle and how they connect to one another in a somewhat stylized character.

Head will follow soon!

dz196E6.png
  • Yoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yoon polycounter lvl 9
    nice definition of forms on the torso portion of the model. I feel that where the hooves connect to the rest of the legs, it could use a little rework. I found some images which might help you out.

The first is a comparison between a cow's foot vs a human hand (sorry I couldn't find it compared to a foot, but you get the idea)
    So maybe have the calf muscle a little higher up on the leg, since the next join is technically something of an ankle.

the second and third images are other versions of minotaur's for better ideas of how to adapt a cow's hoof to human pose.

Awesome start tho, good luck!

http://enlightenedequine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Horse-Human-Limb-Comparison.png

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/021/c/2/minotaur_wip_2_preview_by_papah_minis-d4n4q4k.jpg

http://img373.imageshack.us/img373/5706/minotaurff6.png
  • Kettun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, thanks for the links those really help alot!
  • Kettun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And here's two new images of this little miniproject.

Done with zbrush, onward to maya/photoshop/xNormal!

rKsGzyV.png
    pQZ19Kb.png
  • Kettun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aaand here's the "finished" version. I still need to pose it, add some nice effects, maybe change the colour balance some more.

But this is it, sculpted, modelled and textured in about 4 work days.

the final model is 6511 tri, which is 150 under target. could be better, but I really wanted to have the topology down. Which you'll see in the finished shot!

hH7NaqM.png
  • Twoflower
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool stuff, digging the cyborg chick.
  • Kettun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks man, I'l wrap up the presentation for her soon.

for now, check out this page for full presentations. here's the finished model of the satyr, modelled in 32-36 hours. quite proud of it for having literally no idea what I was going to sculpt beforehand.

sLp3Ucq.png
  • Kettun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    urrrhhh I felt uninspired, and inspired at the same time by this game that I keep playing and playing. So. To get it out of my system, here's someone from this game;

0hnGAsw.png

I'l make a texturing tutorial for it too if there's interest for the style of the previous project.
  • Kettun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And the next stage.

now for low poly building in Maya '07.
    Oh wait, I actually need to create the Shields.

va3NAzp.png
  • Kettun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I'l actually do another facebreakdown for this character.
  • Kettun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finishing up the presentation of shield knight and finishing up the appropriate tutorial.

it is titled "Procedurals and how to use them" just to be extra cheesy.

[SKETCHFAB]cf066633fc354b74b0cb9275e9e9f9f0[/SKETCHFAB]

Also staff picked, whoo!
  • Kettun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well here's the final image presentation! rendered in unity!

MxbobID.png
    Pwys9qG.png
    roVrNZj.png
    q7oHeba.png
  • Kettun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More stuff.

Time to practice my handpainted stuff.
    in preparation for a later surprise.

LXlfvB1.gif
    CK32bbG.jpg
    RgFMHcd.jpg

texture's 512,
    tricount is about the same. maybe a bit more. didn't really look. really just here to paint it.
  • Kettun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Since it's literally been 13 months since I last posted here, the following is going to be quite an art-dump, from old to newer, and most of it is going to be finished too.

So here we gooooooo.

First Post; That fancy handpainted thing I was hinting at in the above post a year ago. 
    Hunter Severus. As described on my site;

In the far future of the dark appocalypse this bounty hunter tracks his prey. Using stealth and guile he traverses worlds with horrors unspoken.

The Hunter was created with a few goals in mind, of course.

• Learning how to handpaint textures while retaining some Material Definition
    • Investigate how to create PBR materials
    • Teach myself to use the Unreal 4 Engine and it’s Material Editor properly, with layered, customizable materials among which, Skin, hair and cloth shading.
    • Focussing on Design, take a particular style and apply it to everything. I’ve been told by my friends that the character is Overdesigned, To which I say hurray.

The inspiration for the character was derived mainly from Darksiders with it’s particular style. It started off as “Strife” from Joe Mad’s art, but I quickly realized I didn’t wanna do exactly that at the time. (Though I might in the future because he’s so damn cool)

TechSpecs

• 60k Poly including weapons and accesories
    • 2k (body) / 2k (weapons) / 512 (arm) /128 (Bullets) Textures
    • Sculpt with handpainted Textures

• Kettun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That previous project took FOREVER as during it I got hired by a little company known as Triumph Studios, the guys behind Age of Wonders and Overlord as an Intern.

From that I got a whole bunch more cool things to show everyone (And if someone wants me to crosspost this stuff into the What are you Working on 2015 Edition, or somewhere else.) All of these images were made with permission to post online.

First off the Assets like Units that I made for them;

A big "Tactical Combat" map inside of the Castle of the Lich King, followed by a bunch of structures

This concept art is credited in the image, but just to make extra sure, the concepts were made by Ilse Harting, Ben Neuteboom and Lennart Sas. The structures underneath it were made by me :smile: 

Some promotional material as context for what comes after:

And now for the units that I made!

Frostguard (model originally made by Art Director, Retextured by me) ---- Frost Witch ---- Frostling weapons

War Mammoth (Previously established mammoth, I gave it armour) ---- Frost Queen
     Here's a cute WIp gif of it in motion 

The Sculpt for the frost Queen

Lost Soul ---- Wailer (Skirt by my art director) ---- Creeper variations (Base skeleton by the animator who goes by the name of Elementrix here
    )

Some Accesories that your hero can wear.

More accesories, and some random environment art.

And lets end this post with some misc sculpts for all the units and stuff.

• Kettun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Next up, the main thing I did during my time at triumph studios was create the following Heroes. Which was both an honour, to be able to work on one of my childhood game franchises, and a Joy. I learned so incredibly much from my internship at Triumph and I can't thank those guys enough for the valueable experience.

enough swooning. Art. A friendly reminder, I exclusively made the Outfits that are presented here, the bodies within were made by other talented artists at Triumph Studios during, or before I worked there.

• Kettun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When I was done at Triumph with all those valueable Design lessons, I went on with my next project, and became active on Artstation too.

Until Polycount allows me to embed Marmoset viewer files, you can check out my website, or artstation for one.

From my website:

In the grim dystopian future of 2054, Megacorporations have taken over the world and Cybernetics are not only common, but almost required. Corporations like Militech (Cyberpunk 2020), Ares Macrotechnology (Shadowrun), Sarif Industries (Deus Ex) and of course Tyrell Corporation (Blade Runner) rule Cyberpunk universes with their own private armies, security and sometimes even their own arcologies and countries.

Cyberpunk is a genre I very much love. It’s probably my favorite to read, play or watch and thusly this was a perfect fit for me to make.

My goals for this character were very clear from the start, and thusly it went quite expediently.

• Learn to Layer materials fully and completely within Quixel
    • Figure out how materials work in Marmoset Toolbag 2
    • Make (somewhat) realistic character including realistic skin and metals.
    • Practice anatomy as hard as I can

Tech Specs

Textures:
    Body & Head:   4k,       Specular Workflow
    Hair:                 1k,       Anisotropic Specular (strips)
    Eye:                 512px, Dual layered eyes
    Magnum:          2k,       Metalness Workflow
    Mini Diorama:   2k,       Adv Metalness workflow (UE4)

Polycounts
    Aiko: 53,858
    Magnum: 8,848

Aiko;

The gun might seem familiar, and it should. Because my previous Cyberpunk character didn't work out. I decided to use the gun again on a bigger succes.

For marmoset viewer: Click Here

• Kettun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And now we reach the thing that I'm working on right now.

Crusher from itmeJP's (A streamer on twitch.tv) Mirrorshades. which is a live podcast style pen and paper roleplaying game. It's his character, and this guy is goin' places.

Current plans include:
    • Use the very bleeding edge of tech I can feasibly reach (Hairworks)
    • Learn the complete workflow of layered materials as used in UE4's Infiltrator Demo back in 2013.
    • Improve my general shape language from my previous project.
    • Fully RIG the model in accordance to the rigs for Unreal Tournament (anniversary)
    • Mod the Crusher into Unreal Tournament.
    • If enough support is found, create a cinematic involving Crusher and a frequently visited location in the Shadowrun Campaign, including Animation, Music and environment.
    • Learn the Ins and outs of the UE4 skeletal mesh workflow, material editor and some blueprint stuff after that.

I've already gotten some serious praise and support from the community over there in itmeJP's subreddit, but I really need some scrutiny too. Any critique's that I can take along for the next project, or fix right away in this one would be awesome.

• Kettun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Technical Issues are abound at the moment.
    Mostly in the form of "Why is it doing this now all of a sudden"
  • Kettun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Next up. Gotta finish this girl.
  • Kettun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message