Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

StarWars Dark Forces Inspired Game Art

Replies

• marks
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    I don't even care about the HUD, I am totally losing my shit every time I see something new in this thread with all the artwork and production methods. Some of the coolest shit I have seen for a very very long time!!!
  • HowardDay
    Offline / Send Message
    HowardDay polycounter lvl 10
    Mask_Salesman: Thanks!

-Memex-: Thanks, sir. I actually agree with you completely. I've toned the leather down, both in brightness and amount. I've also scaled the background of the joysticks down as well, and tried to minimize the amount of the view they obscure. I'm also making an effort to make the ui cover the space that's already obscured by the player's fingers.
    The controls that are behind the player's fingers turn on/off things that are plainly visible elsewhere in the scene, for example the player's headlight and nightvision, and pulling up the options menu. The two options below the joystick on the right are Autofire,which will fire whenever an enemy is within range, and within the crosshairs - hopefully allowing for some fun firefighters with a minimum of fiddling, and Manual Fire, where you can line up a shot and fire.
    Also, the joysticks are asymmetrical on purpose. Those places are the locations I find my thumbs drifting to most naturally.

skyline5gtr: Thanks! and yeah, I agree - I've scaled it back. I might go back even more.
    marks: Heh, Thanks. Glad you're enjoying it!

Okay, here's the new version.
    HUD_UI_05.png
    HUD_UI_06.png
    HUD_UI_07.png

Please any feedback is totally welcome.
  • Slipstream
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    This is fantastic work dude. In addition to Dark Forces, it also feels It's like a high definition version of X-Wing vs Tie Fighter.

Well done!
  • HowardDay
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream: Thanks. If you like this, you might possibly like my other project as well:
    HuntDown_01.gif
    www.wingsofstnazaire.com
    :)
  • Legion_studios
    Offline / Send Message
    Legion_studios polycounter lvl 2
    Releasing a free HD release of dark forces would be epic! i encourage you to do it
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Gorgeous stuff. For some reason there is something very special about that pixelated and low res look - I am not sure if this is just because of nostalgia or thanks to the impressionist quality that comes with the limitation - but it's there.

I also remember the baked-in cast shadows on the main character in MDK as being way more convincing than the shaded look of MDK2, and a similar effect is happening on the Stormtroopers here. Thanks for sharing !
  • Kaine123
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaine123 polycounter lvl 10
    http://www.debrismaker.aarondabelow.com/v1/

Here's a useful script that can generate procedural asteroids along with other stuff. I figured it was at least tangentially related.
  • atomander
    Offline / Send Message
    atomander polycounter lvl 7
    Oh cool! I didn't know you were the artist on Wings of St. Nazaire! Played it back in Eugene at Indie Game Con, really enjoyed it.
  • -Memex-
    I saw your other projects before and I think your work is amazing mate!
  • ScribbleHead
    Offline / Send Message
    ScribbleHead polycounter lvl 13
    Oh sweet - Dark forces along with the x-wing/tie fighter games, is one of my all time favourite games.

*Subscribed* :thumbup:
  • tRens
    Offline / Send Message
    tRens polycounter lvl 18
    i have a very hard epeen right now.
  • HowardDay
    Offline / Send Message
    Legion_studios: Well, it'll be inspired by Dark forces - it's not going to be a remake.

pior: Thanks! I agree. I think slightly pixelated artwork triggers something in people to be a little more lenient when it comes to graphical quality. Happy to take advantage of that. :)

Kaine123: Thanks! I did know about that, but I prefer my faster, pre-uvmapped system.

atomander: Awesome! I wish I could have been there, but that took place right around the time my son was born. :D

-Memex-: Thanks, sir!

ScribbleHead: Thanks! Hope you continue to like what you see.

tRens: Not for more than 4 hours, I hope?

Okay, so found some time to work on this, and here's a UI update...
    HUD_UI_09.png
    HUD_UI_10.png
    And the raw texture:
    HUD_UI_08.png
    Is it still too much?
    Enjoy!
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    That HUD is MASSIVE! I do love this whole thing though, but man, that HUD needs to be like 25% the scale :(
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    odium wrote: »
    That HUD is MASSIVE! I do love this whole thing though, but man, that HUD needs to be like 25% the scale :(

I dont know if he can make it much smaller, I think this is meant to be played on a mobile phone so the size of the thumb sticks makes sense but making it more minimal around the rest of the hud could help
  • HowardDay
    Offline / Send Message
    odium: Yeah, this is supposed to be played on a tablet or phone screen. Everything needs to be big enough to be legible and clear at that size - and I'm pushing that already. If you've got an android device and wanna give it a shot, here's a link to the most recent APK:
    http://www.hedfiles.net/DFMobile/DFMobile.apk

Ged: Yep. I can reduce some, but not all of the scale. I'm still working on it. :D
  • Tobbo
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Could you not make it be more like a transparent HUD? There's really no need for those large opaque borders.
  • HowardDay
    Offline / Send Message
    I have thought of that, and no, I won't do the hud like that, for two reasons - the first is that it's not really true to the style of the Dark Forces games, and the second is that I really don't like how the semitransparent interfaces look. Also, I really don't think it's necessary, since about 90% of whats visible as that HUD is covered up by your fingers while you play. I do see what you're saying - but I'm gonna do it differently. Hopefully that doesn't piss too many people off. :)
  • HowardDay
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, back to the fun stuff - making blaster hits in MAX:
    blast!.gif
    Enjoy!
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Love the effect! Could you share how you've achieved it?
  • TheRealFroman
    Offline / Send Message
    TheRealFroman polycounter lvl 11
    Awww yeaaaahhhh!!!!!!!
  • HowardDay
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure. So there are 5 main things going on in the effect. There are two particle effects for the main cloud of smoke - the big puff, and the little smokey tendril that comes from the impact point. Both are just normal SuperSprays that are pushed and pulled by a Wind, a Drag, and a Gravity Spacewarp. Instead of them displaying a mesh, though, they're set not to render, and I am using a blobmesh object with them listed as source objects. This lets me put an animated displacement on top of the particle motion, in this case a cellular map, that makes the effect extra puffy, as well as gives it a bit more motion.
    Then there are the sparks, those are basic Tetra-type particles, again, emitted by a super spray. I then take a mesher object, select the sparks, and then use that mesher object to emit smokey trails from the sparks. The smokey trails use the same space warps as the main smoke puff.
    The final element is the flash - it's just an inverted, animated sphere with a fully-self-illuminated falloff material, with a falloff alpha as well. To make different variations, I've wired the rotation parameters of a dummy object to the seed numbers of the supersprays and offsets of the displacement map. That way, if I need a new explosion, I just spin the dummy.

blast2!.gif
    I hope that this explains it! If you'd like the MAX file, I can do that too. :D
  • Bruno Afonseca
    That does explain, thanks a lot! Quite clever way to do it :)
  • HowardDay
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. Here's an update, now with variations!
    blast3!.gif
    And for the Heavy Blaster projectiles -
    blast4!.gif
    And for the Imperial Repeater Rifle!
    blast5!.gif
    Enjoy!
  • PixelGoat
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    Best thing I´ve seen this week!
  • urgaffel
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    That's really clever, I'd love to have a look at the max file if possible. Love the look of those impacts!
  • HowardDay
    Offline / Send Message
    Urgaffel: Certainly! So here's the max file, in 2011 format: http://www.hedfiles.net/BlastPuff.max
    and here's what it looks like:
    blastpuff.png
    The dummy to the left is spun for different random explosions - you can also rotate the individual particle sources to get a more interesting impact.
    Enjoy, and I hope it's educational!
  • HowardDay
    Offline / Send Message
    And now, the best gun ever, the Concussion Rifle!
    blast6!.gif
  • handofgold
    Offline / Send Message
    handofgold polycounter lvl 3
    You really achieved a great look with your textures! classic
  • urgaffel
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks! I'm sure I'll get some good ideas from this :)
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    keep going man, this is awesome!
  • skullsplitter
    Offline / Send Message
    skullsplitter polycounter lvl 18
    HowardDay wrote: »
    And now, the best gun ever, the Concussion Rifle!
    blast6!.gif

This animation made the sound instantly replay in my head. Boom!

(Imperial repeater was a great tool too ;) )
  • bionicman31
  • HowardDay
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, guys!
    So here's the last bunch of updates, it's time to move onto something else.
    Stormtrooper Rifle Hit VFX, the Standard blaster impact, and the Heavy Blaster:
    blast9!.gifblast3!.gifblast4!.gif
    Updated Repeater Hit - decided to go to Yellow for this guy, as in Dark Forces 2. Blue looked too much like the Concussion Rifle.
    blast8!.gif
    Updated Concussion rifle hit. Added a bit more punch and flame to the base.
    blast7!.gif

Enjoy!
  • CordellC
    Offline / Send Message
    CordellC polycounter lvl 11
    this is cool. clunky chunky 90s in a pretty good way
  • Lord Fryingpan
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord Fryingpan polycounter lvl 12
    Damn, this is incredibly impressive.

My only consern goes toward the green on red buttons, and I think maybe something a bit more subtle could be achieved. Last time I needed to make some "realistic" interface, those did wonder for me : http://www.cgtextures.com/texview.php?id=46647&PHPSESSID=hmib7jd7vjm1q418ac9e8lcif3
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    It doesn't need to be realistic, it needs to make me grin like a loon!

I am a huge DF1 fan, this thread is pure gold. My only crit is I don't like how part of the concussion rifle dissipates outward, I always loved how it whooshed inwards and up like gasoline catching fire!
  • HowardDay
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord Fryingpan: Thanks! And I think I'll stick pretty close to the original buttons. I agree your suggestion would look better aesthetically, though!

fearian: Thanks, sir! Here's a comparison between the blasts!

blast7!.gifblast10!.gif

Now that I've done that... I need to work on it a bit more. :D
  • Arvell
    Offline / Send Message
    Arvell polycounter lvl 3
    Hey, HowardDay, awesome project, love the direction you're taking it, please keep up the great work!

I really like the remaster vibe going - more polished, but still true to the original.

However I'd like to try and throw my 5 cents in regarding the HUD :)

So, I did some mockups of the concept, merging the original Dark Forces colors and more modern take on Star Wars UI. The idea was to imagine contemporary design trends done in PS1 lo-fi aliased style.

sw_hud_test.png

sw_hud_test2.png

And here's the quick explanation of the on-screen elements.

82f3bf411840517.jpg

Don't know if it will be of any use, but still. Looking forward to the updates!
  • skyline5gtr
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    I love that hud, very simplistic but it does not fit with original Dark Forces
  • Bruno Afonseca
    I love that hud mockup :) Doesn't fit with the original because the original was quite bad really. I remember being bothered by all that leather weird stuff when I played it back in the days
  • Blaisoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    That mockup is nice on its own but it feels extremely cold and sterile, not unlike majority of modern SF huds.
    It makes me think that player is some kind of drone, rather than a mercenary.

I'm not sure what's so bad about original hud? It was a bit cartoony but the sequels managed to improve its design a lot, and didn't resort to turning everything to a flat holographic display.
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    new GUI looks waaaayyyyy better!
  • ActionDawg
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
  • HowardDay
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow! Hi, guys. :D

Arvell: Dude! Thanks for putting that together. I absolutely agree that it's a lot cleaner and shows the environment more. I also like that you've added AureBesh lettering to the Hud. I'm actually getting a distinct Republic Commando feel from it, which is by no means a bad thing! I am really torn, if I'm honest. I really want to stick with the original DF style hud - even with it's obvious drawbacks. The feel of it is just *right*, you know? But I also know that your style of Hud has obvious benefits. I'm gonna have a hard time deciding. :P
    Everyone else: Yeah, I don't know myself for 100% which way I'm gonna go with it.

Update: So, the last 2 weeks I've been swamped with work, and been spending my down time with family. I have had some time to work on this stuff - but the stuff I worked on is something that's going to be hidden in the level for people to discover, and I don't want to ruin the awesomeness by showing it ahead of time. I'm pretty stoked about it, though!
    So going forward, I've got a work prototype I'm pretty consumed by, and a week and a half trip I'm going on as of tonight - So I will be sans computer till next Friday. I will jump back on this then - I have an idea for a new area I'll build out - and I still want to finish the Verpine Bastard's landing gear and boarding ramp. I've got a pretty good idea how I'll do that.
    Thanks for all the interest in this, and I'm really sorry I haven't been more productive on it. :(
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    somedoggy wrote: »
    its not his
    yeah, just realized it after I posted =P my points stand though, It does look way better.
  • Arvell
    Offline / Send Message
    Arvell polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks for the feedback, folks.

HowardDay: glad you liked it! Whichever you choose - I do hope to see this project finished successfully :)

Blaisoid: I guess it's more of a function over form thing. Taking into consideration the target platform, the screen resolution and the amount of data we should cover - the non-diegetic, not overly-stylized approach seemed like the better solution to me. For example MKX uses the clean and simple UI quite effectively, as well as an upcoming MMO Crowfall.
  • onionhead_o
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    really cool stuff. will watch this thread
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Im with Arvell on this one, I always prefer function over form, especially on mobiles where gameplay can be harder to get to grips with, so I like minimal huds that show off the game environment more. That said Im sure it will be awesome either way.
  • Tobbo
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    HowardDay wrote: »
    I have thought of that, and no, I won't do the hud like that, for two reasons - the first is that it's not really true to the style of the Dark Forces games, and the second is that I really don't like how the semitransparent interfaces look. Also, I really don't think it's necessary, since about 90% of whats visible as that HUD is covered up by your fingers while you play. I do see what you're saying - but I'm gonna do it differently. Hopefully that doesn't piss too many people off. :)

Having second thoughts? :)
  • amartinez
    Offline / Send Message
    amartinez polycounter lvl 8
    That HUD gave me a Cyberia or something type of flashbacks... Probably mostly the style of the locked-on square.