Home Technical Talk

Trancluency in CE3?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
I'm trying to re-create a wax candle and need some help. I've tried to find info in the cry wiki without luck. I also thought of using the SSSSS shader but had a real hard time fining anything on that to. Well, i did find something, but now the wiki is so slow i can't navigate.

Anyhow, what is the best approach? I did a quick test in Marmoset and I got an acceptable result for the time i put into it, like 5 minutes.

Made a small gif to show you what I'm after, it's nothing super fancy. (When it's gray the light inside of the candle is turned of). It's just a b/w mask telling where i want the translucent effect to be.

CandleExample.gif

Replies

• e-freak
    hey, all you need to do is paint a texture with the expected color of the material and the brightness indicating the thickness (the brighter it is, the more light shines through). The feature is in the Human Skin shader, which should be easy enough to tweak :)

http://sdk.crydev.net/display/SDKDOC21/Subsurface+Scattering
    http://freesdk.crydev.net/display/SDKDOC2/HumanSkin+Shader

cant wait to see the result :)
  • sltrOlsson
    Offline / Send Message
    First of, thx for the help :)

So I've tried this for an hour or so and CAN'T frekking get it to work. I manage to get something, besides the oily spec stuff, with a black white texture in the sub-surface slot. But only with the multi-layered option turned on and a color plugged in to the first layer(?).

Well, i get nothing really. Don't know what to do?
  • sltrOlsson
    Offline / Send Message
    Really trying to get this to work without any results at all. I'm really fumbeling in the dark here. I know the idea behind SSS but I just don't get any results at all.

This is my settings:

dDsr6.jpg

This is what the textures looks like

SSS_hel.jpg
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    You tried the vegetation shader?
  • sltrOlsson
    Offline / Send Message
    I did! And I did get some results, but i never managed to mask what areas I wanted to be thinner. Is it the specs mask? Or is it a mask by it self?

Also, I'm gonna put a few candles in a indoor scene. So I put up a VisArea, but then the stuff I actually manage to get a result from, outdoors, with the vegetation shader disaperars and it just looks like a regular Illu shader? What do i have to do to make it work with regular lights and probs?
  • sltrOlsson
    Offline / Send Message
    Okey, so still vegetation shader. I'm really getting desperate here. This is very annoying. This is outside visArea and inside. I'm still super connfused over how to actually mask my SSS, but yeah as you can see there is "something". And then it's inside of the visArea, boom, all of it gone. Why is that? Is it an restriction for the veg shader? Only outdoors thing?

I guess I'll fake it with selfIllumination instead.