[UE4] Warrior Scene Collaboration

penE
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
penE polycounter lvl 7
Latest progress:

k8LSdVp.jpg

Update after a long time :).

Together with Bao, the character artist on the project (http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138052) I went to the Treptower Park in Berlin to make some 3d scans of rocks. We got some really nice results out of it with some cleanup and made alphas and brushes for Zbrush out of them.

This is one of them in the scene:
Mfpz5fV.jpg

Two Highpolys:
AF7BGEW.jpg

and here you can see one of the pics we used for building the scan. We took around 20 per object.
qBvVn9M.jpg

Some new shots from the scene:
hUl3GvK.jpg
Yaazap2.jpg

Thats it for today, hope you like it :).

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Original post:

Hey, I wanna share some progress on a scene I'm currently working on. I"m doing a collaboration with Bao who's working on a warrior character at the moment (http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138052) and I'll do a scene for it. Someone from Crytek will rig the char, so collegue from Yager will animate it to make a little cutscene and another collegue from Yager will do VFX for us, so we have a nice little collaboration going on :).

The scene still needs tons of polish, and a lot of cool ideas are still not in, that I'll definiately will work on next. Stuff like a door, cool ornaments, smaller details, texture polish, chains hanging down, some foliage, etc... . Tech is Unreal 4.

I'm looking forward to your feedback and will update this thread frequently, cheers!

L9gItRT.jpg

Replies

• Burpee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Burpee polycounter lvl 9
    Love it, is there any post prod on photoshop on it ?
  • penE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    penE polycounter lvl 7
    Thank you, no color correction in ps or anything, just scaled down the image :).
  • Hoshi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoshi polycounter lvl 6
    Nice mood, good job ! I like how the tiny orange spots on the ground's reflection gives a great color contrast with the overall blueish lighting. This might be something you want to push a bit further in the future :)
  • Xaragoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaragoth polycounter lvl 8
    *squints* The right godray seems to come out of a ceiling tile. Might just be the angle.

I really like the lighting and artstyle though :D
  • oxblood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oxblood polycounter lvl 9
    cOoold BloOded
  • Dragonar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dragonar polycounter lvl 10
    Nice job ! Can you show me a closeup of the floor please ? maybe the texture sheet or/and Zbrush.
  • penE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    penE polycounter lvl 7
    Dragonar wrote: »
    Nice job ! Can you show me a closeup of the floor please ? maybe the texture sheet or/and Zbrush.

Thanks :). So far most assets are really rough, just with a quick ddo pass applied on them, so the whole scene needs a lot of polish. I want to get the general image in the right direction first, before digging deeper. Thats why I dont want to show detailed breakdowns at this point, but I'll definiately do so when the scene is done, and I'll probably make the files available for everyone to check out :).

So yeah, thats how the flats of the ground plates look like right now, pretty basic
  • penE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    penE polycounter lvl 7
    Sorry for double posting.

Here is a small update to my scene:

lsvO3f2.jpg

Have a great day!
  • Dragonar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dragonar polycounter lvl 10
    Hey penE! awesome texture !!! :poly124::poly124: (of course it is a joke:))

but great work to make this render with this texture.

I keep an eye on your work
  • Marshkin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marshkin polycounter lvl 9
    I love the atmosphere on this!
  • penE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    penE polycounter lvl 7
    Small update with some new props :)

w58MVf5.jpg
    mQcH9te.jpg

WtcM9V1.jpg
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Significant polycounter lvl 11
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh god damnit! Everytime you post some pics here PenE, I got goosybumps (I dont know if I spelled it correclty).

After you finish it, Ill demand some full HD wallpaper :3

But I have few quesitons, until its in WIP:

First of all, how restricted you are to PBR with it? I mean, are you very carefull about values, or you just try to eyematch some values that you have for PBR? Or its totally eyematching :D

Second: how did you sculpt that wood on the door entrance? Its have very nice to eye wood surface. If its alpha, would you mind share it? :D

Third, and most important: about lightning in UE 4. Did you manage it a lot? adding some more point lights, etc. What values did you change?

And did you made some color corrections, or did you just made an amazing work with textures, so you achieved that amazing color pallete, that I just love <3

Have fun with replying to that (I mean, reply please :D ). Anyway you did great job with so WIP, so I cant wait what you will do to finish it. It will blow minds over here :D
  • penE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    penE polycounter lvl 7
    My current plan is to release the whole thing after I'm done with it for other artists to check out :).

For the materials I'm pretty much doing just guesswork, whatever works for the scene.

The wood is pretty simple, I might wanna do another pass on it to make it more interesting. Right now I just took the orb cracks brush thats free on the internet to sculpt some basic linework.

The light setup is actually quite complex. I'm going for fully dynamic lighting with the new dfao and have quite a lot of lights in the scene right now. I might need to optimize on that end to make everything run more perfomant.

There is some subtle color correction with a lookup table, but yeah, I'm playing around there a bit, rest is pretty much lighting.

That's the detail lighting viewmode inside the editor, where you can see all the light actors.

Hope that was helpful!

axbvAtt.jpg
  • artizan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artizan polycounter lvl 9
    really nice props.
  • penE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    penE polycounter lvl 7
    Made some wooden beams, holding up the ceiling :). The actual wood grain is done with the tiling textures of the master material.

CFzKJH0.jpg
    KKLjWT2.jpg
  • Bbox85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bbox85 polycounter lvl 9
    This looks great!! At first I thought I was looking at a concept image. Great atmosphere and very moody. Love the sculpts! That candlestick is awesome!
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Significant polycounter lvl 11
    We will need 4k version of screenshots after you finish it :D
  • penE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    penE polycounter lvl 7
    Updated my scene with some mossy rock, adjusted lighting and changed bits and pieces here and there.

6XX5eRu.jpg
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    This is one of the best looking things I've seen made in Ue4. Looking forward to dissecting it all when you finish it and upload the packages for us all.
  • penE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    penE polycounter lvl 7
    Update after a long time :).

Together with Bao, the character artist on the project (http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138052) I went to the Treptower Park in Berlin to make some 3d scans of rocks. We got some really nice results out of it with some cleanup and made alphas and brushes for Zbrush out of them.

This is one of them in the scene:
    Mfpz5fV.jpg

Two Highpolys:
    AF7BGEW.jpg

and here you can see one of the pics we used for building the scan. We took around 20 per object.
    qBvVn9M.jpg

Some new shots from the scene:
    hUl3GvK.jpg
    Yaazap2.jpg

Thats it for today, hope you like it :).
  • Tepcio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tepcio polycounter lvl 8
    Cool stuff man. The snow seems to pop out a bit too much in the last shots i think. cant wait to see the cutscene!
  • penE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    penE polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for the feedback :). Yes you're absolutely right. I'll take care of it with the next update. Actually I wanna work on a more complex shader where I can paint all that stuff in with vertex colors, instead of only doing it with masks, that was more of a late night test :D.

Thats how the main shot looks atm btw:

k8LSdVp.jpg

Does anyone have an idea how to get rid of those noisy tiny specs when I do highresshots though? It seems to be an issue related to the temporal aa, but I have no clue how to fix it. Any idea welcome. Cheers!
  • kernersvillan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kernersvillan polycounter lvl 9
    Do you have Realtime checked in the viewport when taking the screenshots?

BTW, this scene is looking awesome man!
  • penE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    penE polycounter lvl 7
    Thank you very much :). Yeah it's checked on. In the viewport everything is working fine. My guess would be that the aa takes information from previously rendered frames and since the framerate is super low when you take a highresshot it gets these artifacts. But that's just my noobish, non tekkie explanation for it.
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    maybe switch to FXAA or turn it off entirely since you seem to be taking screenshots at far higher res and scaling them down afterwards anyway.
    scene looks fantastic. can't wait to see it finished!
  • penE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    penE polycounter lvl 7
    Cheers! Yeah been trying that as well. Problem is that the micro specular thing comes into play when I disable aa completely, and occurs with fxaa as well. With temporal aa I at least don't have the issue in the editor, only when taking screenshots.