Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Darksiders 2 Environment

Replies

• Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    All right! Huge improvement man, makes my day seeing somebody take in so much feedback and make that sort of jump. First post to last post progress is something to be happy with for sure.

:)
  • Fenyce
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    Wow you did a huge improvement! But I don't like the orange fire much. I personally liked the old one better :) but this might just be my taste.
  • Noren
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    I have to agree on the fire. It feels too isolated and saturated right now.
    You had a pretty cold color scheme so far and while you can use contrasting colors to draw the eye, this is a bit too much, in my opinion.
    This is up to personal taste and style, of course, but if I wanted to keep the warm fire, I'd still make it a lot cooler. I'd also toy with placing some more torches or warm candles around the scene, as long as it isn't too distracting.
    But overall I think I liked the blue fire a bit better, though it doesn't really matter, because the scene has come a long way already.

S6oNxf8_op.jpg
  • WarrenM
    That final shot is such a far throw from the original you posted ... well done! The scene is now drawing me in, making me want to go through the door but also explore this room. Awesome!
  • urgaffel
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    Looking good! Did a quick paintover, feel free to ignore it :)

dyE1Jsx.jpg
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakob Gavelli interpolator
    You guys rock!

@Two Listen : Thanks! It's been such a rush!
    @Fenyce : Thanks, I agree and changed it. I stole a look at some Darksiders 2 pictures from the City of the Dead, they have alot of yellow to balance out the greenish blue. So I went with that. Looks alot better, maybe has to be a bit cooler though.

@Noren : Thanks for taking your time to do a paintover ^^. I think the new fire looks alot better. It blends alot better with the blues and doesn't feel so isolated anymore.

@WarrenM : Thanks, man! Means alot ^^

@urgaffel : Thanks you! I don't know what that is, but it looks awesome. I sorely need something cool at the focal point... but.. I don't know.

Thanks for the comments guys! I did some minor changes to the floor and stuff, things only I notice really.. and changed the lighting is probably the biggest change.

One part of me just want to call it done, but at the same time I don't want it to look amateurish or unprofessional. I'm really going all out on this one, so if there ANYTHING, nitpicky or even comments like " Fuck, that floor is ugly, redo it. " I want to hear it, and I need to hear it!

Polycount really is awesome, can't wait to do a Pre/Post-Polycount comparison when I'm done with this one!

4XdNjOH.png

W2nRRKC.png
  • AntonioNeves
    Offline / Send Message
    AntonioNeves polycounter
    Hello, what you did is fantastic, I dont know what can improve ..oh, I think you can mix more red color in the yellow light, like @urgaffel did.

It makes me want to learn zbrush to do things like that. It's perfect :)
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Offline / Send Message
    @AntonioNeves : Thanks, man! I'm actually doing kind of the opposite ^^ A matter of taste I suppose.

After bugging Progg a bit, he made me realize that maybe I should try to tear myself from it for a while and come back to it with fresh eyes.
    If I feel satisfied with it at that point, I'll do some breakdowns :D

I feel at this stage that I could change values by fractions and add chandeliers and chains and lots of stuff or whatever, but it wouldn't improve the overall quality of the scene.

Thanks for all the comments and paintovers, I really do love polycount!

8osu3Xz.png
  • Deathstick
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    I've been following this piece since the beginning and I got to say, it turned out great!
  • danpaz3d
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d polycounter lvl 7
    Great work so far. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.
  • urgaffel
    Offline / Send Message
    That's the thing, you don't need to know what it is in the background, it just looks cool. You could even do it with a plane mapped with a diffuse and emissive texture, you don't necessarily have to model anything :)

I also added a slight gradient to add a hint of red at the bottom half of the image.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    You can nitpick anything to death. But this turned out really great. You did a ton of improvements to this over the course of the thread. Nice job!

If you ever make changes to this the super dark silhouette of the door in the back seems too dark. It would be nice to get a hint of bounce lighting on the doors.

Also value change on the floor/walls pillars would help too.

Again you can nitpick anything but I say roll with what you have. This turned out great.
  • Mistry10
    Offline / Send Message
    Mistry10 polycounter lvl 8
    Great work !
    love the colours.

but i wish we could see a bit more of the architectural detail in the ceiling.
  • Stockwell
    I agree with Jeff. I remember seeing your first OP in this thread, and thinking very cool, considering i'm playing through DS2, slowly albeit, but I thought it was a cool piece. Then I come back here, and I am very happy to see what you did with it.

Not only did the piece get better through out the thread, but it's these kinds of threads that make this community so wonderful. You posted progress, people gave good feedback, you iterated, people gave more feedback, and now look, almost every post on this page is praise. I say, excellent work good sir!

My only crit, would be your background, specifically what Jeff was saying about the black silhouette behind the door. Just for a final touch, you may want to think about putting something back there, just to tie up the story telling in the piece.

You could take the time to model out a bad ass alter, or whatever it is you want to put back there, or make it as easy on yourself as slapping an alpha on a card and just having a silhouette back there. Right now it's just a little hard to tell what's back there, or why as a player i would even want to go explore what's ahead. urgaffels' paintover adds some visual interest back there, that may be a good place to start. Either way, I think it is a final detail that would be the cherry on top of an already very fun project to watch.

I don't think the chandeliers, or the chains, would add a ton to the improvement of this scene either, but I really think something in that back room would.

Great job keep it up!
  • 87roach
    Offline / Send Message
    87roach polycounter lvl 5
    I'm a big fan of Darksider's and this turned out great, awesome work and improvements!
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Offline / Send Message
    @Deathstick : Thanks, man!

@danpaz3d : Thanks, I'm nearly done!

@urgaffel : It's very effective anyways. I tried to do something (very ) similar, don't know if it's good or bad though.

@Jeff Parrot : Thanks, I added a hint of bounce light but I don't know it it's visible on all the screens out there.. Still a bit salty about that. :P

@Mistry10 : Thanks! Yeah, there's not alot to see there I'm afraid..

@Stockwell : Yeah, polycount is amazing that way. Not only awesome feedback, but a kick in the ass aswell to get stuff done!
    Thanks! I did something similar to what urgaffel did, I tried a couple of different stuff but I landed on this one. Doesn't feel quite final though.

@87rouch : So am I, obviously ;) Thanks alot!

I've spent this weekend and these days trying not to look at the scene. Now that I'm back I just think it kind of stinks and I don't know why. It's really, really frustrating. I desperately want it to look good. GOOD, not "Good, for a student.". I want to be able to make the recap, I want you to be able to criticize me as any other artist without having to be patronizing.

This is where it currently stands and I'm at a bit of a loss. *shrug*

XQNIe05.png
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    You could break up the tiling on the main walk way. I feel like the skulls are a bit muddy, sculpting wise, but everything else looks perfect for a next gen Darksiders game.
  • Tobbo
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    I think more work could be done on the background/next room. I'm not really a fan of the very thick depth fog effect. I would flesh out the structures in the next room more and light it properly and try not to hide it under such a thick fog. I understand what you are trying to do. I just don't think the super thick, (bright fog?) is the best way to go about it.

It almost looks like the player turned down their view distance.

W4HSPLEl.jpg

Also, the archway leading to the next room is almost entirely black on my screen. I would try and lighten it up a little bit so that it isn't just a pure black silhouette.
  • Bbox85
    Offline / Send Message
    Bbox85 polycounter lvl 9
    This scene kicks ass! Great work on everything!
  • AntonioNeves
    Offline / Send Message
    AntonioNeves polycounter
    I love the last one. :) I really don't know what you can improve.
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Offline / Send Message
    @ZacD : Thanks for the feedback! Maybe I should've just used the floor texture and make a slab to place on the walkway a bit to break up the repetition, I added some dust piles and rubble instead, but even I can hardly see the difference.

@Tobbo : Thanks! I think one of the problems is that the fade isn't visible due to the low angle of the camera. You're right, but it would take so much work I'm afraid and I'm really trying to wrap this one up!

@Bbox85 : Wow, thanks!

@AntonioNeves : Thanks!

The back arches are getting brighter, I'm just trying not to over do it. Tried to do a transition with some particles so there isn't the same straight-hard line where the fog starts. I made the altar-thingy smaller because it was really throwing off the scale and depth of the scene. Otherwise it's really nitpicky stuff going on.

Thanks for sticking with me through this! I've already called this done a whole bunch of times, but this update feels pretty final to me.

It's at a stage where I can feel proud of it and hopefully everyone who contributed with feedback or just replying will also feel satisfied!

Breakdowns soon to follow!

E0UKm6O.png

kObVSit.png

And finally a quick comparison .gif to demonstrate the LEAP polycount can provide!

jk74j9p.gif
  • Tobbo
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    I understand Jacob. In your last post, you said you were at a loss with where it currently sits? I was just trying to offer some direction where you could further improve the piece if you wanted to.

The lighting on the back arches is looking much better!

Awesome work sir! :)
  • jestersheepy
    Offline / Send Message
    jestersheepy polycounter lvl 8
    Awesome scene dude, love the cobwebs and the potential for what is beyond that door!
    This is a perfect scene to scratch up your lighting skills, not saying you need to but I would highly recommend deleting all the lighting and try different colours, perhaps a different camera angle and try even get a different mood across, could really help your compositional learning! :)

A lot of lighting and composition comes down to personal preference, however I can't help feel a bit of a fight for attention from either side with the center, choose 1 of the two colours and make it cover the majority of the scene, use the other complimentary colour to accentuate overall composition.

Also your floating lights that have no source, I would make them slightly darker but use more of them to control the darkness of areas... a black pixel is a dead pixel (you have work that is hidden that even at a low value could be shown off more than it is).
  • RobeOmega
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    Looks much better now!

Time to update the portfolio images :D

Edit: Wait there are much more smiles?:icon_exclaim:
    :thumbup::khasmo:
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Nice work man. There's quite the improvement between where you started and where it's at now. Way to take the feedback and apply it in all the right ways. Keep doing what you're doing. :d
  • littleclaude
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    I love this thread, it shows true professional development, well done. The final result is so much more interesting for having some colour in the final composition.
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Offline / Send Message
    @Tobbo : It's great feedback, don't get me wrong! I guess I was at a point where I didn't want to spend more time on the scene unless it was a quick fix.

@jestersheepy : Thanks alot! That's the sort of thing I could do now that I feel done with it, just as practise. But right now it's final and I'm not going to change it. I've started on the breakdowns and everything!

@Robeomega : Thanks! Yeah, I'm in the process of updating the portfolio now, hehe.

@Gannon : Thanks! I only wish I started posting progress earlier before things were kind of set in stone. One of the many things I've learned during this scene.

@littleclaude : Thanks! Hopefully I'll become a professional in the actual sense when I'm done with my education, heh!

What you see here is that the maps are obviously not PBR. I know PBR but after settling on a UE3 workflow that I thought would work in UE4 I did alot of quick fixes. So the Spec/Roughness map is modified and inverted and scaled with parameters on a mesh to mesh basis. Stupid, I know. My next project will be fully PBR and not some weird hack as this.

These are the only meshes that used 1024x1024 textures. The floors - walls - braziers etc uses 512x512 maps.

The first image provided in this thread was done in a couple of weeks on and off, then I had it laying for a couple of months before I decided something had to be done. It sure was worth it!

In hindsight I could've been smarter with the slabs and sculpted a higher quality of reusable stuff instead of spending my time trimming edges. AND! I started this project with just sculpting the Skull Pillar. Big mistake. If you look at the concept alot of things are off, like scale etc because I didn't start with a proper block out.

I've learned alot from this project and I want to thank everyone that helped me, and a special shoutout to Progg for giving me some tips in private.

Here's what I had in mind for the breakdowns, more coming soon.

jakob-gavelli-skullpillar-sculptshowoff-new.jpg?1410032594

jakob-gavelli-arch-sculptshowoff-new.jpg?1410032587
  • urgaffel
    Offline / Send Message
    The difference between the before and after is just crazy. Good work sir, glad to see you prevailed and persevered :D
  • JoshWilkinson
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    I'm really enjoying your showcased props, but I fear the lighting is hurting you. It's dramatic and moody, but the majority of the props are obscurred in darkness. I'd try raising the brightens of the light to showcase the individual props better and leave the moody feel to the environment.