Home General Discussion

Pimping and Previews renamed to 3D Art Showcase

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
Pimping and Previews now renamed to 3D/2D Art Showcase. Caught me off guard this morning! I guess it sounds a bit more professional though.

Replies

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    well its more informative so I guess thats good :)
    but yeah, I was quite confused too xD
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    Except it kinda confused me into thinking it was linked to the featured artwork pages.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah, I think a lot of people were confused by the old name. I miss the cool factor though, part of why I chose this forum as my home is because it wasn't as rigid and sterile as other forums.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    Shiniku wrote: »
    Yeah, I think a lot of people were confused by the old name. I miss the cool factor though, part of why I chose this forum as my home is because it wasn't as rigid and sterile as other forums.
    grandpa_simpson_yelling_at_cloud.jpg

Now Polycount is just not the same
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We discussed this at length amongst the moderators. This came about from discussions around the Women in Game Art thread, plus past comments from members and outsiders about how misogynistic the name was.

I love the freewheeling nature of our community here. But if a simple rename brings more people to the party, that's certainly a good thing.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    We discussed this at length amongst the moderators. This came about from discussions around the Women in Game Art thread, plus past comments from members and outsiders about how misogynistic the name was.

I love the freewheeling nature of our community here. But if a simple rename brings more people to the party, that's certainly a good thing.

this is about misogyny? now that is ridicilous.
    don't get me wrong the new name is fine, but i really don't like the reason why you did that.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Welcome change. For me, when I first joined I found it confusing as the name seemed to imply it was only for commercial releases/high end stuff. It didn't really give the feeling that anyone could post and get feedback.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    so remove erics answer but leave me hanging hu :/
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    We can't get anything past you guys :) For the sake of clarity, I removed the last 2 replies from Joe & Eric so that I can make one post that clarifies the rename without muddying the message.

Pimping & Previews, as a title for that forum, is gone for a simple reason: The rename will make those forums more accessible and speaks much better to what it is the forum is use for: Showcasing and discussing. 3D Art Showcase and 2D Art Showcase just sounds more pleasant, more welcoming, and shouldn't leave anyone guess what the intention of that forum is. This is the first step to us updating to our new website. We're also now calling the "Showcases", the banners you see where we feature different artwork, "Featured Art".

Polycount has been around for ages. We're one of the oldest - or, as I believe the oldest - websites of its kind. And, that is not by accident. As the industry changes, so does Polycount. That's been our approach to updates since we left the very specific skinning world behind for a much larger, all encompassing, video game art world.

Right now that is the only change you'll see happen to the forum itself, besides, perhaps, some new sub-forums in Technical Talk. We're not changing a thing in where and what you post.

This is also a good time to remind the community that 'my door is always open', so to speak. You can reach me via email adam[at]polycount.com
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    oh come on that's just ridiculous, i like the new name, but reason why it's taken off is ridiculous.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    You can say pimping all you want goeddy - it's just dialed back for polycount. I think we will all survive the change.

yeah as i said, nothing wrong with the new name, thanks for clearing that up adam, that makes a bit more sense and doesn't seem as much like a reactionary move.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    completely on board with your reason Adam....can we wipe the "cos misogyny" ending from the internet please and replace it with the scooby doo ending, where pimping and previews turned out to be the janitor all along or something?
  • tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    I like the change. I'm wondering will there be anything else to spice up the site? Like perhaps evaluating or revamping the deserted/less used sections? Also still waiting on the mobile version :)
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    Hey, I just noticed that the PMP review database is gone! WTF? How will I find all of my favorite Q3A pk3's on fileplanet.com? Who will be reviewing my latest PMP? You guys!

If you don't know what I am talking about then you are a whippersnapper and you better check yourself before you wreck yourself.
  • doc rob
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    doc rob I think r13 has all of that backed up, too. Want me to get him in contact with you?
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    I was joking! It's a joke!

Polycount is a-changing and it's all good. Except your name, Adam. You'll always be "milk" to me.

But, yeah, just go ahead and have R13 put all the old models back up, thanks.

(joking again)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can I get a copy of Q2PMP on floppy disk(s)?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    yup we gotta grow up, the fact that I get groans and eye rolls when I mention Polycount at the office is a travesty!
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    adam wrote: »
    Pimping & Previews, as a title for that forum, is gone for a simple reason: The rename will make those forums more accessible and speaks much better to what it is the forum is use for: Showcasing and discussing. 3D Art Showcase and 2D Art Showcase just sounds more pleasant, more welcoming, and shouldn't leave anyone guess what the intention of that forum is.
    this is an excellent change IMO :thumbup:
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    yup we gotta grow up, the fact that I get groans and eye rolls when I mention Polycount at the office is a travesty!

Really you get groans about it?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    The name change could even be pushed a little further by calling it "3D showcase and critiques". Just saying :)
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Not a bad idea, though its description mentions critiques. On the new site we may drop the descriptions to which I would have no problem making this update.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Of course :) I was really just throwing the idea to the wall in case it sticks - at the end of the day the name doesn't matter that much...
    These changes are exciting ! Can't wait :)
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    I got confused and was about to go yelling (nicely) at someone saying they should not be posting their early WIP in the showcase forum and that pimping and previews was for that XD

I do agree with the intentions behind the name change, but I'll give my 2 cents andsay the 3D Art Showcase title is a little confusing/lacks the notion of "and previews" even though its in the non-bold text description. Showcase as a word itself sounds a bit too much like selected works, or some sort of catered art exhibit.

God forbid it becomes a place where people are afraid to show their early works-in-progress! I love seeing everyones work evolve from a little humble cube into a giant oasis of creative beauty :D

That said, yay evolving with the times and go go Polycount!
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mazz423 polycounter lvl 9
    RIP Pimping and Previews 1998(?) - 2014 :(

In all seriousness though I don't mind the name change at all, hell I didn't even properly notice until I saw this thread. I just hope that misogyny thing wasn't the main reason. The word 'pimping' itself is in no way misogynistic and ultimately it comes down to the context of its use.

I am curious though, does this indicate that, if polycount is changing/ growing up a little, we might have more moderating in general? Much like a lot of the other forums floating around. Or can we still look forward to the epic flame wars of yore?
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    mazz423 wrote: »
    can we still look forward to the epic flame wars of yore?

Depends on the nature of it, I suppose. If someone is a blatant troll they will certainly get flamed. But as far as burning someone because you don't like their art - that's never really been acceptable here and it certainly won't reflect well on you in this industry in general.
  • yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
    "3D/2D Art Preview & Showcase" would be better, IMHO. describes the whole thing. Since when you show a preview, its bound to get crits.and a showcase is for finished products mostly.
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mazz423 polycounter lvl 9
    Depends on the nature of it, I suppose. If someone is a blatant troll they will certainly get flamed. But as far as burning someone because you don't like their art - that's never really been acceptable here and it certainly won't reflect well on you in this industry in general.

Oh of course, I never partake in them myself anyway. I was more just trying to jokingly ask if polycount in general might be changing, can't imagine it will in that regard though.
  • Paznos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paznos triangle
    What a disappointment really

The main reason I've lurked Polycount forever is the casual atmosphere and mutual respect of individuals as artists. By altering the title you're perpetuating the myth that women are so weak that even words themselves are victimising. That women are so easily offended and guided that the term "pimping" in and of itself is alienating. Glad to see the subject object dichotomy is still being perpetuated, now under the mascaraed of feminism; the abused become the abusers, ironic. Yay equality

http://washingtonexaminer.com/article/2554559

I guess Polycount really is now PC
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    If you're disappointed in that then I'm afraid there's not much we can do to rectify that.

Our crime here is making Polycount accessible to anyone and everyone. This wasn't a knee-jerk reaction, but a long and calculated one we've wanted to do for a very long time, not just in the recent months.

What should be important to you is this: We are not changing how we moderate content. The only thing to change is the name of a couple forums. I think you'll find you're over it before the week is out.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Small update to the name change: 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Same with the 2D forum.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    mazz423 wrote: »
    Oh of course, I never partake in them myself anyway. I was more just trying to jokingly ask if polycount in general might be changing, can't imagine it will in that regard though.

See my reply above, but no, the only thing we're changing is some titles. How and who we moderate isn't changing.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    I love how the thought process goes.

"They did something to try and appear less dickish!" -> "I'm being oppressed because they're trying to be less of dicks!" -> "Feminism and misogyny are bullshit!"

Welcome to the internet, where trying to be nice automatically means you're a raging fuckhead.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    For polycount to become more popular it would need to use the approach every other forum board uses and not just target game art. I do a huge amount of Visulisations at work targeted towards marketting and can be anything from robots to cars or arch Vis sets... But I can't post this stuff here as it's not the logical target audience and i feel would feel abit ignorant.

Look at any other board or even 3d magazine... It's a mixture of everything from game art to sculpts to renders

I don't think changing the name will make any difference in visitors but I do agree it's needed despite me missing it :(
  • ALPHAwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ALPHAwolf polycounter lvl 18
    :(

We still have black and green!

Pimping and previews always was a silly title, But it came from a time when quake model makers (PPMs) like myself could pimp and preview their models and get some feed back on what models the Quake community wanted. So yeah kinda redundant now.

reminds me of when people changed all their Handles to their real names, just a maturing i guess.
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinad polycounter lvl 11
    Love the changes! I am speaking more in terms of the clarity it provides.

If a simple name change makes more people happy, then I am all up for it. I remember being a bit confused as to what “pimping and previews” meant when I first joined polycount. Either way, it’s just a name, I wouldn’t make a huge deal about it. What has really been important, what has made Polycount so special is the Artists who use it.
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    One reason I liked the original title was because it wasn't so bland like the other forums.
    It was unique and gave the community a bit of character - A refreshing break from all the seriousness

Hope to see some quirkiness added down the road, in hopes that things don't go all spartan on us
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Is it really such a big deal that the name changed? At the end of the day you still get to look at some awesome art.
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinad polycounter lvl 11
    StephenVyas: Yea, I agree with everything you've said. Polycount has always had a lot of character, the name did make it quite unique compared to the more "serious" structured forums.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Wonder if I'm the only one that never really understood the old name to begin with. I mean, I could...roughly translate it in my head, "Oh, people are pimping...things by showing them off and there are previews...because...WIPs are like previews of things that might be finished?", but just kinda accepted it as a quirk rather than something sensible.

I always just saw it and was like, "Oh yeah whatever that's where stuff gets posted, right?"
  • root
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    root polycounter lvl 17
    I dig the change. It's friendlier, and sounds a little less like something a 12y/o boy on Halo voice chat would name a forum.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    Paznos wrote: »
    By altering the title you're perpetuating the myth that women are so weak that even words themselves are victimising. That women are so easily offended and guided that the term "pimping" in and of itself is alienating.
    you're establishing a myth that you're in love with the word pimping. neener neener.
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    Yeah, it's probably for the best that this forum doesn't have a section named after using violence and drug addiction to force somebody into selling their body for sex. Nobody's going to take all the boobs and dicktanks and violent crap away. It's just a more accurate less gross description of what goes on in there.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    It would be nice to have thumbnails for every thread, like cgtalk. An image = 10000 words.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Blaizer: We'll do you one better. :)