Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

And now for something completely different: HDR Panos!

panoface.jpg

Earlier this year I traveled to Northern Italy with my trusty camera, panorama head and tripod to capture a bunch of high-resolution 360° HDR panoramic environments.

This has really been a labor of love for me, its the first project that I have seen through from initial r&d, getting out in the field and capturing the shots, processing, and then finally setting up the marketing material. Basically I did everything but set up the technical/distribution side of things (which Mark Doeden of Marmoset was kind enough to do), so I am extremely proud and excited to announce the finished product.

[vv]92753416[/vv]

The pack contains 50 HDR captures for $60, suitable for use in Skyshop, Toolbag 2 and any renderer that can load .HDR files for image based lighting.

Find more info and download a free sample pano at the official product page: http://www.marmoset.co/panos

Thanks to Andy Davies at Knaldtech and Tanner Kalstrom at Game Textures for putting my panos to good use showcasing their products.

Replies

• AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Nice nice nice!
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    awesome man, looks great
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys!

More images, these are all the panos:
    50skies.png

And this is how I make them
    hdrtutspin01.gif
  • Seaseme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seaseme polycounter lvl 8
    Nice job Joe! I used the shit out of these for the past few months and can attest to their quality. Beautiful work, really makes toolbag a lot of fun to play with!
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
  • linkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    linkov polycounter lvl 10
    I'm probably gonna ask something really stupid, but where do you hide when taking shots? oO
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments guys!
    linkov wrote: »
    I'm probably gonna ask something really stupid, but where do you hide when taking shots? oO

Haha no that's a reasonable question. Its actually pretty hard to get out of the way of the fisheye lens, as it has a 180 degree diagonal field of view.

Basically though, I just make sure to always stand behind it. So I take a shot, move the camera, and myself, take another shot, move, etc. When it comes time to take the up shot I have to duck below the camera, and for the bottom shots I have to stand as far away from the camera as possible. I take two down shots though, so I stand on either side and can mask myself out.

Its funny how often I unintentionally end up in shots though.
  • linkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    linkov polycounter lvl 10
    oh I see! thanks EarthQuake, nice work! wish I had some way to use these panos in my work, but not now. maybe someday
  • Fnitrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fnitrox polycounter lvl 6
    As an Italian artist i thumb up for this!

It's something I've always wanted to do myself, but whenever I go visit any intresting place it's too crowded and i don't have enough patience :D. So kudos for the awesome clean shots you got too.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fnitrox wrote: »
    As an Italian artist i thumb up for this!

It's something I've always wanted to do myself, but whenever I go visit any intresting place it's too crowded and i don't have enough patience :D. So kudos for the awesome clean shots you got too.

Yeah that is actually one of the most difficult aspects of doing this, avoiding people. I basically would just try to go anywhere that people weren't, so I ended up in a lot of back alleys and places like that. Then a lot of the time I have to wait for people to pass so they are out of the shot too, occasionally I just photoshop them out as well.

But its really difficult to take panos in any of the more crowded, popular areas. Vence was nuts, I would pretty much just walk in the opposite direction of where all the people were going. Getting up really early in the morning or late at night helped as well. I think I got up at 5am in Venice, by 6:30, everywhere was packed, but before the sun came up nobody was out.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    The panos look great. Thanks Joe!
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    So cool! Was looking for a nice set of HDR's for a long time.

Thanks for taking these. :)
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    @Earthquake, I was half expecting John Cleese to show up.

and_now_its_time_for_something_completely_different.jpg
  • almighty_gir
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Awesome! We have been using these panoramas heavily for quite while developing Lys and we found ourselves coming back to them over and over because the quality and dynamic range on them is absolutely superb.

Top quality panos ftw!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @EarthQuake

Nice! Some questions just out of curiosity:
    How do you choose the range of exposure you're shooting the panos at?
    How many EV stops do you do?

Good question. The camera I use (Olympus OMD EM1) can take 7 shots bracket at 2 EV increments, which is what I do. A nice benefit of the EM1 is that it can take all the shots with one shutter press, which is handy. Depending on your camera, you may be limited to less shots, or say, 5 shots at 1EV. In which case you might want to get a remote that can automate bracketing like a promote (or install the magic lantern hack on Canon bodies), as I find 7 at 2EV is just enough for bright sun, and 9 shots would be even better.

Now, how to set the exposure range. The first thing you need to do is figure out the fastest shutter speed. On my camera that is 1/8000, which is good, many dsrls only do 1/4000. The thing to remember here is you need to fit your exposure range within the limits of your shutter. 1 stop means you need half the shutter speed, 2 stops means you need 1/4th the shutter speed. So for every set I take the shutter speeds look like this:

1/8000
    1/2000
    1/500
    1/125 - this is my baseline, I set my camera to this setting in manual mode
    1/30
    1/8
    1/2

If your camera maxes out at 1/4000:

1/4000
    1/1000
    1/250
    1/60 - baseline
    1/15
    1/4

From the base setting, your camera should automatically take 3 exposures faster, and 3 darker. One of the problems here is that at those lower shutter speeds like 1/30th and below, any subject movement will result in motion blur. So you want to avoid wind, people, cars, really anything that moves. I use a manual focus lens, so the camera can't set the aperture in bracket mode, if you use an AF lens it might be a little more flexible than this, that might also depend on your camera.

So those are the shutter speeds I use for basically every shot. To set the exposure or overall brightness, I change the aperture on the lens. Generally you want to stick around F8-F16, beyond F8 and the photos will be less sharp due to diffraction, below F8 and you may not have everything in focus. So another thing I do when shooting in bright light, is I attach a 4 stop ND filter to make the scene much darker, this way I can use a wider aperture without blowing out the images.

At the end of the day you want something like the top here:
    hdrtutrange01.jpg

Usually I do a few test sets in the field to nail down the exposure range before taking the rest of the shots.

This image, and the gif a few posts up are from a tutorial that I'm working on that explains the entire process.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
  • ZippZopp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZippZopp polycounter lvl 12
    awesome stuff! i'll be grabbing these, great work
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mew

MAW MAW MAW!

I got lucky and stumbled on that cat in a secluded courtyard, he was nice enough to sit perfectly still while I got the 7 shots in. :poly142:

Only bad part is now I have to pay the cat royalties.
    @EarthQuake

Awesome! Thanks for the infos.
    I used to make my own HDR-Panos, nice to see how you are doing it!
    The biggest problem I always had, was the manual adjustments as I didn't want to put magic lantern on my Canon 550D. I assume you are using PTGui as well?
    The tutorial is an awesome idea!

Keep up with the great work!

Yeah, doing it all manually is a huge pain, I've tried to do that myself but its too easy to bump the camera slightly when changing settings, and its just really slow so any sort of subject or cloud movement ruins it. Also, yep, using ptgui to stitch.
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    That is one well-traveled diver's helmet.

Very cool!
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    Very nice panos! and at $60 its a bargain!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the kind words!

I've finished up the panorama photography tutorial.

Check it out here: http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/hdr-panos
  • Zieg_Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zieg_Reborn triangle
    Awesome panos man. Nice to see something different, but still oh so useful!