Home Technical Talk

Maya: Viewport artifacting / Black faces on Model

Hey guys.

I need some help. I am using Maya 2014 (this also happened in 2013), when i zoom out from my models the faces start turning black or in High quality everything disappears. I have tried everything and i do not know how to fix it, can anyone give me some insight ?

I have tried:
*Normals (flipping, softening and hardening the edges)
*Cam (near and far clipping planes)
*Shaders (assigning new and different ones)
*This is not the only model it is happening to
*Have rolled back my GPU drivers (maybe i should roll it back even more ?)

Images so you guys can see is attached :)

Gpu is an NVidea gtx670.

Thanks.

Replies

• antweiler
    Offline / Send Message
    antweiler polycounter lvl 8
    Have you checked if you have overlapping faces in your mesh?
    These create z-fighting artifacts.
    By the way, the "High Quality" Viewport Renderer is not supported anymore, better use Viewport 2.0 or standard OpenGL...
  • Me1sh1n
    Yes, it happens even when I creat a standard poly cube.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    It looks like it might be a scale issue. Either try scaling your model right down, or change the Maya unit scale from centimetres to metres (Window>settings/preferences>preferences>settings). Save the scene and re-open it or restart Maya and re-open it.
  • Me1sh1n
    I have figured out what the problem was. if anyone has the same sort or problem, just set your "near clip Plane" in your camera setting to 1.0. If the number is below this , this problem occurs.
  • snoodleking
    Awesome thanks for the solution. I didn't have your exact issue (my viewport looked like there was massive z fighting everywhere as well as weird white artifacting near the vertices). Changing my near clip plane to 1 or above fixed the issue.
  • Odow
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Reuping a old post but I have the same issue when there's too much alpha in my scene, it create black artifacts. I use maya 2015 with the viewport 2.0, it's not the near clip either. Anyone know what to do ? I think it's the depth peeling that create that but if I use another algorithm nothing work the order of object is existent.
  • Sweetface
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweetface polycounter lvl 5
    Me1sh1n wrote: »
    I have figured out what the problem was. if anyone has the same sort or problem, just set your "near clip Plane" in your camera setting to 1.0. If the number is below this , this problem occurs.

Thanks!!! I had switched my scaling to meters and was having this problem. Your solution was key :)