Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Second School Project - Industrial Ruins

Hello Polycount,

This is my second project here at Full Sail. I'd like to show you what I have so far and see what ya'll think about it. Working with tileable and reusable textures and assets. This was created with Maya, Photoshop, Crazybump, and UE4. Any critiques would be great! :)

Also had to bring the image size down to upload to Pinterest. Anyone know a better place to upload images?

b633e89765037359460238f6e99366bf.jpg

Replies

• Carabiner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    Good start! Looks like it's technically pretty solid. However, I find the textures quite noisy, and the composition is lacking as well. Composition seems like a small thing, but presentation goes a long way. I mostly find it off-putting to have the big round end of the pipe (?) as completely head-on.

I also think this could use much more attention to detail with regards to the textures. For example, what are the clumps of dirt (?) on the ground? Is it dirt, or some sort of mechanical refuse? I think that everything could use some more material definition to really push the scene.

Another thing is the rust you've got going on. I would put some more thought into where and why it would appear. For example, why would it appear so heavily on the bend in that large pipe? And why scattered like that across the main area? Generally, I'd like to see it happen more along the edges of the objects, along points of wear and tear.
  • GlenC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, thanks for the critique man. I'll be working on some of the things you mentioned about the scene. The reference I've been working from has that big round thing in the middle of the image as well, but I agree that it's sort of in your face screaming at you. The texture is a tile-able with some vert painting. Thanks again for your time!