Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Community Noob Challenge October 2014 (24)

Replies

• Cheeky_Pickle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheeky_Pickle polycounter lvl 9
    @PrimePriest It looks great but perhaps a little more like hay? Most likely that's due to the colour being a little yellow.

Here is my update everyone, been great to get into Unreal!

Does anyone know how to use the paint texture tool in Unreal? It's greyed out and unclickable at the moment. I want to use it to create the texture variation on the ground (unless there is a better way). I'll be watching some more tutorials see if I can get to grips with it.

Second question is, the distances seem different and larger in Unreal in comparison to 3dsmax. I had the grid set to 1m in 3dsmax. How can I set this up so the view will be the same? Is it the camera or the distances?

Thanks guys :)
    uRQqI2i.png
  • inwar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    inwar polycounter lvl 11

Does anyone know how to use the paint texture tool in Unreal? It's greyed out and unclickable at the moment. I want to use it to create the texture variation on the ground (unless there is a better way). I'll be watching some more tutorials see if I can get to grips with it.
    are you using the paint tool for vertex colors or the one in the landscape tool?
    Second question is, the distances seem different and larger in Unreal in comparison to 3dsmax. I had the grid set to 1m in 3dsmax. How can I set this up so the view will be the same? Is it the camera or the distances?
    This may be due to different FoV values
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    @jerebellum
    and
    @jfrostbyte

Your scenes look great. I appreciate the breakdown jerebellum. this is the first time i've made an enviroment. especially one in UE4, so i'm learning quite a bit.

I made my first house, but i'm not sure why i'm getting those black lines on the edge of the roof.

ibzSwng.jpg

You see what I'm talking about? i think its a normals problem, but what I did didnt fix it. any suggestions?
  • Cheeky_Pickle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @inwar I'm not sure I was looking at this one. Is this right?

CZgQ4nR.png
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    @holly Mellor
    Hey Holly, I"m not sure if this is what you're trying to do, BUT I found a video for painting landscapes in Unreal Engine 4. Its what I used to learn how to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsXVP0fykBM
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    For that piece of cloth thats going from the front of the house to the lamp post, do you guys think it needs thickness? or can i make do with only one polygon of thickness
  • inwar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    inwar polycounter lvl 11
    @inwar I'm not sure I was looking at this one. Is this right?
    no, the one you want is the paintbrush in the landscape tab(the tab with hills on at top of that image). you will need to have your landscape material set up correctly with a blend layer with multiple inputs. I skipped through the video pmiller001 linked and it seems to explain the basic process very well
  • Cheeky_Pickle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @pmiller001 Excellent thanks a bunch !

@Inwar Great, thanks :)!
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    My Internet has been dead for a week and I have been busy with school but here is what I have
    3LkVmPo.png
  • Cheeky_Pickle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey how do you guys go about adding filler foliage like grasses? Do you just create a model in 3ds max of blades and then repeat it in the engine?
  • toxkillfraex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toxkillfraex polycounter lvl 9
    bluuuuuuuhhhh school just decided to toss tons of stuff my way... Yeah my chances of finishing this at all just decreased by ... a ton. And oh look the month is almost over... oh wel >.>;

Untitled-1_zpsdfe2cbe7.jpg
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    not sure i'll finish, atleast i'll have some dope textures!

9vb3Ip7.jpg

Question,

Can i bring a spec map into unity? or should i just use the vector constant node?

@Toxkillfraex
    I'm liking your house. I tried your method but I think it turned out a bit differently for me haha.
  • JFROSTBYTE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFROSTBYTE polycounter lvl 4
    @toxkillfraex - I feel for you!

Here is my current progress. I am slowly getting there. Not sure i am going to finish by the end of the month. Can't wait to see everyone's progress.

Does anyone know how to control the directional cast shadow color?
    NpPgRZl.jpg
  • toxkillfraex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toxkillfraex polycounter lvl 9
    pmiller001 wrote: »
    @Toxkillfraex
    I'm liking your house. I tried your method but I think it turned out a bit differently for me haha.

I can imagine it turning out different one part because engine one part because I didn't create the proper texture maps for it yet and I was passing everything through zbrush for practice reasons.

@JFROSTBYTE: Well it is a comfort I could reuse my woodplanks for one of the 'tons of things' I'm supposed to do right now. YAY for holiday work... and partial lazyness if I'm too honest.
  • JustMeSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustMeSR polycounter lvl 4
    Started a bit late... :\

Blockout is done. (looks way too dark, but is seems to match values on concept)vMDMI0S.png
    T8SN2uu.png
    X2l1LRu.png
  • inwar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    inwar polycounter lvl 11
    Times up. i would of liked to put some crates or somin in the cabin and have some stacked fire wood outside if i had more time.

Using fully dynamic lighting for the scene with the new soft shadows implemented in 4.5. lightmapping actually gave me worse performance then lightmaps and the soft shadows looked better :/
    FkwChhZ.jpg
    mROYtL1.jpg
    random axe i made for the scene
    LiamStones_axe.jpg
  • Cheeky_Pickle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Inwar Looks great!

So I've decided to call my scene complete for now! As a total newbie working on my first environment and indeed the first time going through the full pipeline, I realise areas that I need to study before I can really nail some of the important aspects of a scene. Not to say this hasn't been an amazing learning experience because it sure has! Things i've learnt so far would be..

-Introduction to Unreal and how to set up a scene
    -How to create grass, plants and trees
    -How to convert a high poly zbrush model to a low poly model
    -How to use the paint function for ground variation in Unreal

Things i'm going to focus on in the next month in particular is MATERIALS, how to use them properly, how to apply them etc. I touched on the matter of course with this project but not properly, some of the ones used are Unreal's standards. I'm going to do this by making some props, starting small and then doing the challenge!

Thanks for the help everyone! (and apologies for the ramble!)

7nMeGsQ.png
  • theonewhoknocks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theonewhoknocks polycounter lvl 6
    Happy Halloween Everyone. This is what I got so far. Still getting used to UE4, so many new things to play with. Still going to be adjusting the lighting. Lightmaps are always a pain.

Used Speedtree to create the trees and shrubs, and the grass was created in Photoshop and Max. The Wood Planks are a tileable texture I hand painted with an alpha to let the light come through and give it more dimension. I tried to add a little variation to the model to make some planks look longer than others so its not just a texture slapped on to the model. Wanted to definitely implement more into this scene to give it that real creepy vibe.

Love your lighting inwar. Are those rocks on your ground texture, i'd lower the spec a little bit. Cloth is looking great. Definitely put that axe in there somewhere, maybe wedged into a pumpkin.

farm.jpg
  • Cheeky_Pickle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @theonewhoknocks Sweet! How did you populate your ground with foliage like that? Love the little pumpkins too !
  • inwar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    inwar polycounter lvl 11
    Are those rocks on your ground texture, i'd lower the spec a little bit. Cloth is looking great. Definitely put that axe in there somewhere, maybe wedged into a pumpkin.

think you are talking about the wet leaves on the ground texture, there is a closer shot in marmoset in one of my previous posts. they probably dont fit with the other parts of the landscape texture which need some work. id like to make the path like a muddy path with foot prints but thats another thing on a long list of to-do's before the scene is portfolio ready ;)

i also did wedge the axe in a pumpkin its in-front of the cabin in the foreground. il probably set it up in a little shot on the far side of the cabin with the axe in a piece of wood and a pile of fire wood somin like these from google
    http://www.firewood-for-life.com/images/skitched-20120918-125821.jpg
    http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/x/axe-chopping-firewood-878760.jpg
    http://allthingspt.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/2011-10-04_08-26-50_301.jpg
    http://www.firewood-for-life.com/images/skitched-20120918-125821.jpg
  • tannerhanss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres my final post, calling this done for now. I added some more fog, added some meshes, worked on the cloth, made new trees and populated the scene with more foliage to make it feel natural. I didn't get as much done as I would have liked but I finally got a job so I can't be complaining too much!

It was lots of fun and the entries look awesome so far! Definitely going to work on this again and participate in future challenges!

7dhZLsA.jpg
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Great stuff everyone! I didnt finish, i'm just going to start a thread for my wip.
  • theonewhoknocks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theonewhoknocks polycounter lvl 6
    @Holly Mellor. I used the foliage tool in Unreal Engine to paint the grass mesh. The ground texture is a shader I created that has a few different textures in it, blended with a mask and vertex painted onto the floor mesh.
  • skodone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skodone polycounter lvl 2
    love all of them :O
    ue4 really seems to be a supernice thign :P rly makes me wanna install it since
    the setup is lying around on my desktop so lonely :P:P still first finish my portfolio

all the pieces turned out rly great!
    tannerhanss your pieces mood is just creepy!
  • JustMeSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustMeSR polycounter lvl 4
    I apologize for (relative) necro.
    inwar wrote: »
    random axe i made for the scene
    LiamStones_axe.jpg

Random and awesome.:poly121:

Started late and (for some stupid reason) I decided to port it all to unity and continue working on it, just so I can port it back into UDK and finish it (still not near completition).

OynjUKu.png
    srbNLPd.png