Home Unreal Engine

UDK 3 Scrolling Material Issue

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
acealmighty13 polycounter lvl 10
I've created a material for a computer monitor that has scrolling text in a couple of smaller windows. Easy to do. Right? When I add the main monitor texture to the scrolling pieces with the alpha masks, instead of showing off the color I want to appear, it shows the color that mixes with main monitor. It should layer on top but it isn't. I'm missing something, an extra step, or wrong material node.

I took the color node out on purpose to show you what I'm trying to do. Otherwise the text would barely be visible. I have my Mask and Text in one image in different channels and works just as well if I used separate images.

MaterialIssue.png

Replies

• Vailias
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    You're almost there. You're adding your mask to the colored monitor background. The straight add is resulting in the blended color.
    You'll need to mask off the scrolling text from the monitor, then add the masked monitor to the colorized text.

Like this photoshop mockup.
    Masked_Scrolling_Text.png
  • acealmighty13
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't know anyone replied to this. Thank you for the info. It's been driving me nuts. I'll give it a shot and post the results soon.

Since I'm here and instead of a new post, maybe you can help with this issue I've let go until I was nearly finished. Light pops up in the corner and bottom of two modular pieces I am using throughout the map I've built. I want to say it has to do with the light map but not sure what's going on and would like an explanation as to why and how to prevent it.

LightIssue.png
  • Vailias
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Hard to say without seeing how those pieces are laid out and their lightmap UV's.
    Might also have to do with bake precision. Hard to tell from just that screenshot.
    Check it in "lighting only" mode. Might give you more clues.
  • acealmighty13
    Offline / Send Message
    I forgot to mess with the original reason I made this post but I looked up tutorials on Light Maps for UDK and didn't know they had to be spaced out on the UV Layout "such a distance apart". I have two UV sets, and the map is modular so I'm gonna go through each piece and tweak the UV channel layout and re-import. The piece you see pictured is fixed because of this. Phew.

When it comes to particles, I'm new to the concept but bought the Sparks, Embers 3D Motive tutorial and it works flawlessly in the UDK Editor but when I go to Play Mode the collision doesn't react to the Brush floor I'm using. I can probably guess there is a checkbox somewhere I don't have clicked on for this to work.